Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
I hate birthdays (mine)

I love to celebrate my kids birthdays. They are 7,6,&4 years old and I love to see their excitement. My birthday is a different story. I am going to be 47 tomorrow and I am kind of bummed about getting closer to 50. My kids are all excited for me but It's just another day to me.
Old 10-31-2010, 07:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

ive never cared for my birthday, either. one year in college, i forgot about it altogether. my parents called me up, and i wondered why they called. they had to remind me.

my birthday is next week. i talked to my dad on the phone today. he said "well, i'll talk to you on the 4th." i asked why....again, he had to remind me.
Old 10-31-2010, 07:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to slodave
Other than when I was a kid, I don't like to celebrate mine either. I don't really even think about my age. I just go by how I feel.

Make the best of it and enjoy!

I actually forgot how old I was the other night.

'84 Targa - Arena Red - AX #104
'07 Toyota Camry Hybrid - Yes, I'm that guy...
'01 Toyota Corolla - Urban Camouflage - SOLD
Old 10-31-2010, 07:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Back in the saddle again

I turned 40 back in Aug. I still love birthdays, but they are generally much less exciting than they were when I was younger.
'08 Boxster RS60 Spyder #0099/1960
- never named a car before, but this is Charlotte.
'88 targa SOLD 2004 - gone but not forgotten
Old 10-31-2010, 08:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I haven't cared for mine for a long time. Maybe because I'm uncomfortably close to knocking on 70's door.
Old 10-31-2010, 09:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Cogito Ergo Sum

Garage
I haven't celebrated a birthday in several years. Won't be celebrating the next one either. Now the one after that.... Well we are already planning that party.
Old 10-31-2010, 10:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Information Junky

getting older is what happens if you're lucky.
Old 10-31-2010, 10:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by island911 View Post
getting older is what happens if you're lucky.
Bingo! Earlier this month, lost another friend. Not to accident or war as in years before but to medical stuff. He died on the table during heart surgery.

Really not a bad way to leave...I remember zilch of my surgeries. The needle goes in, all is black until you wake in the recovery room.

In Steve's case, all went black....and...who knows?

Maudlin, I guess...the 6th is my birthday.
Old 10-31-2010, 11:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Happy Birthday. It's my birthday too, but I'm such a youngster by comparison. I'm only 46. :-)
Lothar of the Hill People Gruppe B #33

The Founders would vomit at the sight of the government that the People's lack of vigilance has permitted to take hold.
Old 11-01-2010, 03:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Don't worry about turning 50--it isn't so bad. I was lot looking forward to it this year, but once it happend it was fine. I got some cards and notes from friends in their 70s and 80s, and they thought being 50 was great.

I was in a shop this weekend, and being helped by the owner who was in her 80s. I was having trouble reading the small print in a book and commented about not being able to see as well any more. She kind of looked at me and said "So you think you are getting old are you?" So, its all relative, enjoy the time you have. Besides, all those little kids will keep you young!
96 993 C4S
'10 F-150
Old 11-01-2010, 03:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Get off my lawn!

Garage
Having another birthday beats the other option. The man that started the business here is 95. He took "early retirement" at age 92. He still drives and the only medication he takes is a baby asprin every day. He can flirt and get hugs from all the pretty women.
1986 El Camino with Fuel Injected 350 Crate Engine
My Motto: I will never be too old to have a happy childhood!
Old 11-01-2010, 04:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to vash
i dont understand people that throw THEMSELVES birthday parties. i know a few. most of them are women. i dont get it.

i embrace life..but i dont really need to celebrate my birthday. wife gets me a new high-end flashlight, some archery gear..i'm good.

last birthday meal? i made gourmet chili dogs..and great belgium beer.
Old 11-01-2010, 07:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Get off my lawn!

Garage
My birthday is coming up in a few days. My wife's b-day is three days before mine. We usually meet my dad at a nice restaurant and he buys dinner for us. I buy dinner for him on his birthday. No party, no cake, just a funny card. Mostly it is an excuse to get together for dinner. It's just another day.
1986 El Camino with Fuel Injected 350 Crate Engine
My Motto: I will never be too old to have a happy childhood!
Old 11-01-2010, 07:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to vash
Quote:
Originally Posted by GH85Carrera View Post
My birthday is coming up in a few days. My wife's b-day is three days before mine. We usually meet my dad at a nice restaurant and he buys dinner for us. I buy dinner for him on his birthday. No party, no cake, just a funny card. Mostly it is an excuse to get together for dinner. It's just another day.
perfect!!
Old 11-01-2010, 08:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
I am just frustrated right now with some things that have happened recently and don't feel like celebrating. My house was broken into 2 weeks ago, 1 month ago I was hit in my commuter car by a lady who ran a stop sign. She had a valid insurance card but I just got a letter from her insurance company stating she no longer had a policy with them so I got screwed on that. I bought a blaupunkt stereo for my 911 over a month ago and never received it. I did have a great evening with my family. My wife and 4 year old son met me for lunch at work and that was a nice surprise. It turned out to be a good day indeed.
Old 11-01-2010, 07:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Zink Racer

I don't get to psychobabblish about this but I was adopted at birth and thinking about my birthday usually bums me out. I know my birthmom now and that's great but for me it was the day I was given away. Every adoptee I've talked to feels the same way. I don't get excited about many holidays anyway. To me they are mostly made up to sell crap. I'm actually a happy person, I swear
Old 11-02-2010, 05:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Guess it's because I'm a girl but I love celebrating my birthday. It's MY day to celebrate being me and really enjoy having my family and good friends join me on that one day and just have fun....

I do agree that you are only as old as you feel. The physical me may age and become old but my heart and soul will always feel like I'm 21.....
Old 11-02-2010, 05:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhynesrockmtn View Post
I don't get to psychobabblish about this but I was adopted at birth and thinking about my birthday usually bums me out. I know my birthmom now and that's great but for me it was the day I was given away. Every adoptee I've talked to feels the same way. I don't get excited about many holidays anyway. To me they are mostly made up to sell crap. I'm actually a happy person, I swear
Me too..adopted. Always will love & be grateful to the people who adopted me. Never really thought much about why I'm not big on birthdays, "family" gatherings, holidays.

You have an interesting theory...I'll have to think about it.

Where we differ? had no interest in looking up "birth mom".
Old 11-02-2010, 05:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Zink Racer

Quote:
Where we differ? had no interest in looking up "birth mom".
I hear yah. Everyone has a different situation. I heard too many birthmom relinquishment stories from the 50's, 60's and 70's when I was checking it out to then decide not to look. Most from that generation were forced into it and spent their adult lives regretting the decision but that isn't always the case. There are definately stories you'd prefer not to know about or that have an unhappy ending.

I ended meeting two amazing siblings, the B Mom is great and met my deceased birthfathers family as well. Nice to make that genetic connection so to speak and know one of the reasons I like cars for example. My adoptive family was great but my Dad and I had little in common in terms of innate abilities and interests.

I sort of hijacked this a bit. Birthdays suck, there, back on topic!
Old 11-03-2010, 01:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: