Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

The best part is being able to fart ferociously in front of multiple nurses.
Old 01-25-2012, 08:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
Actual Porsche owner

Garage
Uh, yeah. I remember being half awake in recovery, laying there farting like a cow and giggling about it. Come to think of it, coming fully awake and realizing what I'd been doing may be the worst part of it.
Old 01-25-2012, 09:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Well, I had mine over the Summer, 4 years early, and it was a good thing I did as they found 5 polyps, 3 Pre-Cancer, 2 malignant, one was dime sized..

20+ year PCA member

Many Cool Porsches, Projects& Parts, Vintage BMX bikes too

http://www.bvdmotorsports.com
Active Rennlist Member.
http://members.rennlist.com/racerbvd/
See blog for my For Sale & Wanted List.
http://www.914club.com/bbs2/index.php?automodule=blog&blogid=337&
Old 01-25-2012, 09:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)
A Secret Place

Every three years due to a family history.

I'd rather not.

The Inklings
Old 01-25-2012, 09:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)
5String

Because of a family history that includes colon cancer, this is a fairly regular thing for me - once every 5-10 years. So far I've had one sigmoid and two full 'scopes.

The sigmoid was awful, I was quite awake for that. The 'scopes were pieces of cake. Go to sleep, then wake up. They're finished. You're groggy, your wife drives you home. Or at least someone does.

Ah, but the prep is quite awful. You drink a gallon, or maybe 10, of really terrible, powerful stuff because if your system isn't completely clean, the doc can't see what he needs to see. So you have to be diligent about doing this right.

But you'd better do this on a day when you can stay home all day and night because believe me, you do not want to be far from your, er, plumbing facilities.

The bright side is that if your doc is any good at all, he'll find that you're either completely clear, which I have been, thank God, or he'll see something and remove it.

So my take? Do not hesistate. Get this done, if your doc sez you need it. It's the kind of thing that not only can save your life, but also can save you from wearing a bag.
Old 01-25-2012, 10:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

New pharmacology has made this a relatively painless thing. They gave me the stuff MJ was addicted to. Propathol (?) Not sure about the spelling. Instant lights-out. The day/night before was the worst part of the process, for me. I took the pills. Thought it would be easier than drinking all that liquid. After half the pills I started to feel pretty nauseous. That was the worst of it.
Old 01-25-2012, 10:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)
12 years and 17k posts...

Garage
I've had 2 colonoscopies in the past 3 years (polpys were found and removed on the 1st scope) and I'm good for 5 years. The prep is unpleasant but the procedure is painless and "pleasant" if you get the Versed and Propofol, like I did.

Watch the movie "Ghost Town" with Ricky Gervais if you want to see what it's like (just kidding). I remember being wheeled into the OR, people talking to me, the warmth of the chamical in my IV and the most pleasant sleep with great dreams. Woke up with absolutely no pain and ate regular meals the same day.

Take the prep EXACTLY as instructed, NO SHORTCUTS and wear pajamas and reserve the bathroom for the evening, as you'll need it! The prep I drank (Half-Lytely, I believe) wasn't too bad, but I found it easier to chug down when it was ice cold.

Good luck!!
www.ford.com
Old 01-25-2012, 10:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)
Bland

Garage
a real man takes no meds at all before this - no anesthesia, no numbing, no nerve blocks - and then jogs home afterwards (that also helps remove the excess air)
Old 01-25-2012, 02:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Garage
I've been enjoying them for years. After awhile it's no big deal. Of course you could just avoid them and die.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ury914/
Old 01-25-2012, 03:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

I have had 3. The day of prep is a "surprise" but you get used to it, and it is actually good to clean yourself out. The actual procedure is nothing.
Old 01-25-2012, 04:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)
The Mighty Pieholio

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWebb View Post
a real man takes no meds at all before this - no anesthesia, no numbing, no nerve blocks - and then jogs home afterwards (that also helps remove the excess air)
Bwaaaa hahahahahaha

I kind of remember the whole thing - sort of.

High as a kite but awake enough to experience that first left hand turn - OWIEE - Even full of drugs that was memorable. Not really pain - just a sensation of "That would have hurt if I could recognize pain"

Afterwards, doc says to wife - "Straight home - Bed!" I wanted to go to the Summit Racing retail shop - just down the road and cruise through in my PJ's. I am not kidding, I felt great. Bring it!

Slept like a baby for 20 hours.

Would do it again in a heartbeat for the sleep afterwards.

Two nurses sticking a snake camera up my bum was a bit odd, but in my state of mind, it was of no consequence.
Old 01-25-2012, 04:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: