Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

I have mice in the garage!

I'm allergic to cats so what are my options? I figure they are coming in through the small gap between the sides of the garage door and the frame as well as the tiniest gap between the bottom of the garage and the floor. WWYD?
Old 11-18-2011, 07:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Text me.828-230-0788

Garage
Glue traps.....spring loaded, peanut butter (justadab) baited snappers. Poison will send them into the walls and they die, smelling horrible....
Old 11-18-2011, 07:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Traps with peanut-butter and keep setting them even after you think you caught it, if it had babies you need to catch them also. If you have clean traps for a few months I think you're safe then. (this worked for me anyway).
79 924 (Wife's summer car), 02 C230k (Wife's winter car),
Old 11-18-2011, 08:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I went to Walmart and bought a bunch of glue traps. I have 6 out now and have caught 4 mice in a week! What can I do to keep them out of the garage though?
Old 11-18-2011, 08:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
get the traps at home depot called "shark" They are white and look like a sharks mouth. Bait the trap with cut up gummi bears.........peanut butter is old school........rodents love love love gummi bears

it works trust me

gummi bears are mouse crack
2010 Toyota Prius Black for sale
2016 BMW 328D wagon
Old 11-18-2011, 09:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Raisins work great on the normal spring loaded victor traps. Make sure it's smashed in the teeth of the trap well.
Old 11-18-2011, 10:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I'm with Bill

If your garage is attached to the house I would recommend a few traps there as well.
Old 11-19-2011, 01:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
12 years and 17k posts...

Garage
I just went through this a few weeks ago. I shot some of the little bastages with a BB gun, then put out glue traps, until they figured out how to flip them over, eat the peanut butter cup piece, then run away. I now have 16 pieces of bait in small plastic boxes, so the mice come in, eat their fill, then go away to die. It's a garage, so it's impossible to keep them out. Get rid of any potential food source (seeds, etc...). The mice in my garage destroyed the PC that I keep on a desk out there, they crapped and peed in it and chewed the wires. They look for food and warmth....
www.ford.com
Old 11-19-2011, 05:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
canna change law physics

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cantdrv55 View Post
I went to Walmart and bought a bunch of glue traps. I have 6 out now and have caught 4 mice in a week! What can I do to keep them out of the garage though?
Get a hypoallergenic cat
Old 11-19-2011, 05:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Registered ConfUser

King snake. Problem solved. And nothing to clean up after.

We have a few that call our lot near the lake house home. Rarely see them (except when one of our dogs finds one), and never, ever see mice/rats/harmful snakes, etc.

Last edited by Chocaholic; 11-19-2011 at 06:50 AM..
Old 11-19-2011, 06:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
you could use weather stripping to help keep them out. we have a hollow, oval strip at the bottom of our door that compresses when closed and flat, flexible strips on the sides.
Old 11-19-2011, 01:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Get the professional grade poison. The treated seed type is a waste money and just makes the mice fat. Jaguar 50 Bait Chunx is what I use. One bite and they are done. It has a chemical in it that drys the mice out so no smell (and a bonus is when they die and another mouse eats them, they die too). Put the poison in the corners where mice will stop and the glue pads near the doors and along the wall runs.
Old 11-20-2011, 05:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWN7 View Post
Get the professional grade poison. The treated seed type is a waste money and just makes the mice fat. Jaguar 50 Bait Chunx is what I use. One bite and they are done. It has a chemical in it that drys the mice out so no smell (and a bonus is when they die and another mouse eats them, they die too). Put the poison in the corners where mice will stop and the glue pads near the doors and along the wall runs.
Is that part about the smell for real? Sounds a bit sales pitchy...
2010 Toyota Prius Black for sale
2016 BMW 328D wagon
Old 11-20-2011, 08:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Cogito Ergo Sum

Garage
A little Coumadin(warfarin) will do the little bastages in as well. they eat it, it thins their blood way out, and they die of internal bleeding.
Old 11-20-2011, 08:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Text me.828-230-0788

Garage
Sid...post #2. They die inside the walls and it smells like the Jeff Dahmer High School gynasium....
Old 11-20-2011, 08:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Cogito Ergo Sum

Garage
I'm aware of that.... But its a slightly morbid way to kill them....

We have had bad luck with poison. They just stashed the stuff all over our shop and didn't eat it. We set lots of the victor traps with the square that looks like cheese. Use PB for bait. Always glue the trap to a bucket lid or piece of cardboard, etc. That way if you miss that you have a catch and they get all gross, you can pitch the whole thing, no mess on the floor.
Old 11-20-2011, 08:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Some mice and Norway rats are resistant to warfarin. Which is what most of the poisons you buy at your local Home Depot type store sells. That's also why I mentioned a commercial poison by name.

As to morbid, well I could shoot them with the .30-06 but it makes too big of holes in the walls and I don't have time to sit and wait for a mouse or rat to poke his head out between chewing on my car......

And small mice won't set off spring type traps untill you fatten them up with that treated seed.

Mice chew on everything and what they don't chew on, they pee and poop on the rest of it. If you have ever had a mouse problem you wouldn't care what got rid of them.

Last edited by GWN7; 11-20-2011 at 09:41 PM..
Old 11-20-2011, 09:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
"O"man(are we in trouble)

Take a five gal plastic bucket, fill with five inches of water, spread peanut butter around the inside of the rim, five inches down from the top, put a paint stirring stick from a block of wood to the rim and leave overnight. Check in the morning.

Drowned mice, no muss, no fuss, no poison. Throw them out and start again.
Old 11-21-2011, 03:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Mechanical traps baited with peanut butter. Small eye screw and a piece of picture hanging wire to anchor the trap in place, the mice will drag the traps all over the place.

I put some of the Warfarin traps out, the ones consisting of the green blocks inside a white plastic housing. Came back in a week and the green blocks GONE! Did find a couple of dehydrated mice later on, however.

I had great success last winter with the carbag: place car on bag, put car cover on, put dessicant in car, seal carbag. Car emerges in springtime in precisely the same condition and rodent-free.
'66 911 #304065 Irischgruen
Ex-'71 911 PCA C-Stock Club Racer #806 (Sold 5/15/13)
Ex-'88 Carrera (Sold 3/29/02)
Ex-'91 Carrera 2 Cabriolet (Sold 8/20/04)
Old 11-21-2011, 05:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Garage
I go with the old Victor mechanical traps and PB, I'll try Gummy Bears next. Tried the glue traps and caught 1 mouse and 1 Snake

Are you in The UK by chance?

" Mousetrap Gases Rodents, Texts You When It's Done
by Terrence O'Brien on October 10, 2007 at 10:31 AM

Why settle for your run-of-the-mill mousetrap when you can use a teched-out and unnecessarily intricate contraption that you might find in the lair of an old James Bond or Batman villain? Developed by U.K. pest-control pros, Rentokil, the RADAR mouse extermination system is touted as the "smartest and most humane mousetrap ever" -- this from a company that opted to put the word "kill" in its name.

The RADAR (that's "Rodent Activated Detention and Riddance Unit") is triggered by infrared sensors. When a little furry mouse wanders into the trap, the sensors shut the door then release a "measured dose" of carbon dioxide, which Rentokil says ends the rodent's life "quickly and humanely." The fun part, though, is that after the deed is done the trap fires off a text message to inform you that you've got a mouse corpse to clean up when you return home.

The RADAR is available now in the U.K., but requires a consultation from a technician for installation and pricing.

Maybe we're missing something here, but wouldn't the "most humane mousetrap ever" simply keep the mouse prisoner long enough for you to let it loose in the neighbor's yard? "
'79 280zx ported, ralley cam(sold) '87 and '95 300Ds, (Sold)
"Wisdom begins with calling things by their real names; A is A.
Old 11-21-2011, 07:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: