Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 2.50 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered ConfUser

The Grail - Another Watch Thread - What's your grail?

There's just something about a meticulously engineered bit of mechanical wizardry, hand-crafted and refined over 100+ years that justs makes life a touch more interesting. Better yet, it can go anywhere with you...strapped to your wrist, and appreciated at a glance. Hard to explain, but compelling (to some of us) none-the-less.

Have spent way more than I ever should have over the years and always seemed to have a Rolex on the shelf or my wrist, but alas.....no more.

Let's face it, a watch is a very personal item and is rarely appreciated beyond your own personal engagement. So, this week, I parted with my last Rolex and acquired a watch that I'll never see on a plane or in a meeting (or at least....very unlikely). A nice piece of old-world, hand-made craftsmanship.

Wearing an Omega Chrono (I love Chronos) for daily use, but this JLC is on an entirely different level.

An over-indulgence to say the least, but we all have them in one form or another (life is short, right?). What's your over-indulgence?

Last edited by Chocaholic; 02-09-2012 at 09:30 AM..
Old 02-09-2012, 08:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

What's my watch? What's my indulgence? Please clarify...

Oh well, my indulgence:

No decal design here...real inlay work done by hand, not a cnc machine..
Old 02-09-2012, 08:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
"O"man(are we in trouble)

So you bought a watch. Why is it necessary to dump on people for the watch they own. Why not just say you bought the watch or better still just say anything.
Old 02-09-2012, 08:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered ConfUser

Dump on people??? Not sure I understand. Rough morning?

People offer their opinions on lots of things. Lots of Boxster owners here that aren't offended when someone says they're only for hairdressers. Others don't care for water-cooled 911's, Mustangs, well set-up 944's or various fire-arms. Sheesh. I thought this was an off-topic forum. Spoons, cues, cameras, cars, bikes, food, pets, and the list goes on. Threads sharing an interest or passion for lots of things and plenty of opinions.

Remember, there's no need to click on any thread that you'd rather not read.

Update....edited my post to remove what I think he's referring to. Don't want to inflame the hypersensitive!

Last edited by Chocaholic; 02-09-2012 at 09:25 AM..
Old 02-09-2012, 09:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I'm with Mike on this one...let him brag. Dumping on others? Well, maybe a teensy bit on the Rolex submariner thing..
Old 02-09-2012, 09:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Friend of Warren

I'm not a watch guy. Hell never worn a watch that costs more than a couple of hundred dollars. But that there is one pretty watch.
Old 02-09-2012, 09:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

least common denominator

It was a 40's gold rectangular Hamilton... but I got one of those for myself on my 50th birthday

I think I would go Omega...

I also prefer vintage to new...

Not a big fan of crono's... but the vintage Breitliner (SP?) crono's look pretty sweet.

Edit to add.. this is obviously NOT a Breitliner... but I would love one of these..

Also a big fan of the high end Seiko's and Citizen watches that don't get sold in America.

I picked this limited edition up online:

A lie can travel halfway around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.

Last edited by scottmandue; 02-10-2012 at 06:58 AM..
Old 02-09-2012, 09:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Driver

Garage
For me, maybe an A. Lange & Sohne. But no freakin' way I'm spending more on a watch than the average person does on a new car.
Old 02-09-2012, 09:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Panerai Radiomir Platinum Tourbillon, only around $115k....

"He's got one foot in the frying pan and one in the pressure cooker. Believe me, as a bowler, I know that right about now, your bladder feels like an overstuffed vacuum cleaner bag and your butt is kinda like an about-to-explode bratwurst." - Ernie McCracken
Old 02-09-2012, 10:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Registered Loser

Love the JLC

I would like to own one of these.
Old 02-09-2012, 10:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Send a message via AIM to vash
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigster59 View Post
Panerai Radiomir Platinum Tourbillon, only around $115k....
that better be UNICORN leather!! holy...

i love a Rolex. it is a great looking watch that can take a beating like a timex. some of these high end time pieces in this thread..i would destroy.
Old 02-09-2012, 11:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Now accepting US $ at par

Garage
Nice JLC.

I usually wear an Omega Speedmaster Pro pre-Moon... that was a bit of a grail for me when I got it (cheap). Right now I guess my grail would be a Rolex Bond Sub, or if not a Bond, at least an acrylic-crystal non-date with a tritium dial. Or maybe a GMT. Huh, so many great watches, so little cash!

Cheers

d.
Old 02-09-2012, 12:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chocaholic View Post
There's just something about a meticulously engineered bit of mechanical wizardry, hand-crafted and refined over 100+ years that justs makes life a touch more interesting. Better yet, it can go anywhere with you...strapped to your wrist, and appreciated at a glance. Hard to explain, but compelling (to some of us) none-the-less.
I want 3 watches - one for work, one for dress occasions, one for everything else. For work, I'll probably never go much beyond my Rolex 15200 - it's nice-looking and a solid piece of equipment, works with almost anything I'll wear for business.

I've got an old Cartier tank watch for evenings out, which is pretty unassailable as far as being tasteful and discreet.

My grail watch would be what I'd like for casual wear - a Heuer Monaco. I'll likely end up with a TAG Heuer version, as I can't see shelling out the dough for a vintage one.

I like a nice watch, but when you get into movements and custom dials and all that stuff about complications - it's just not that serious for me. Two cars, three watches, one girl - that's how I roll.
Old 02-09-2012, 06:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Used User

Got a couple of mid range Omegas but I could do a vintage Patek Philippe. Thing is, I won't wear anything on my arms or fingers. So, no point.
Old 02-09-2012, 07:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Student of the obvious

Tag Monaco for me. BUT, I know if I had one that I'd rarely wear it. I'm a watch guy, but my frugal side would keep me from spending that much on a watch to park on my dresser.

I really like Rolex & Tag stainless submariners. That's a watch I probably would wear every day. Still can't get past the price tag.

I'm close to selling my Wakmann Triple Date / Valjoux 730. That would pretty much cover a nice, used Tag. Problem is that once I had the cash from the sale I really don't know if I'd be willing to buy the sub. Doesn't help that I'm very happy with my Invicta sub.

Mazda 3 S Touring Hatchback

Last edited by LeeH; 02-09-2012 at 09:30 PM..
Old 02-09-2012, 09:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeH View Post
I really like Rolex & Tag stainless submariners. That's a watch I probably would wear every day. Still can't get past the price tag.

[cough] I happen to have this blue Aquaracer for sale if you are interested:

I might be closer to your neck of the woods this weekend as well (Chandler), so PM me if you want to check it out.

I've got an 18k/SS Submariner available as well, if you are so inclined. [/cough]
Old 02-09-2012, 11:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Registered

Send a message via MSN to sc_rufctr

Old 02-10-2012, 12:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Land of Enchantment

Pam 392

Not sure I would call it a grail but it is the one I plan on buying next.. Your JLC is fantastic by the way....well done.

regards,

Mike

- 2015 Lexus GX460
- 1988 Carrera 3.2 Coupe Marine Blue (SOLD)
Old 02-10-2012, 05:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Registered ConfUser

Ah, but your username is suspicious!
Old 02-10-2012, 05:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Feelin' Solexy

Love the JLC!

I already bought my grail... Love it, but there is a far less pricey watch I own which is worth much more to me. I could let go fo the grail for the right price.

Sometimes it is worth acquiring the grail in order to determine what things are really worth.

Old 02-10-2012, 05:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: