Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 5 - Miscellaneous > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Hunter & Gathers

Odd Duck 1 has me thinking. He loves killing things. What is it about killing that turns you hunter/gather folk on?

O#2
Old 05-04-2012, 07:23 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
I am probably in the minority, but I truly feel bad for anything that I kill. Even when I catch fish... I truly am an animal lover, was raised to love and care for animals but I was also raised to live off the land if need be. I don't get that rush that a lot of these hunters on tv get to where they are doing the high fives and stuff, but I do feel a very primitive state of mind when I get "in the zone". Can't really describe it, but I even get a sense of it when I am target shooting paper targets. Everything seems to stand still as if time has totally stopped. I can hear my own breath, I can feel my heart beat, and tunnel vision takes over.... I have bought many a gun in my life, but have gotten rid of everyone of them that did not put me mentally where I needed to be...
Old 05-04-2012, 07:35 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckterrier View Post
Odd Duck 1 has me thinking. He loves killing things. What is it about killing that turns you hunter/gather folk on?
Well, on our property, in upstate NY, and in many areas, the encroachment of MAN has cut into food sourses for many animals, at our farm, if there is a very hard winter, deer would starve even with the farmers didn't put out food (no, not baiting, in their fields, where they don't allow hunting) so, if the choice is for them to;

A)
Starve, with the suffering that goes with it.

B) The deer start feeding on stuff near public and get hit by a car or truck.

C) Legally hunt them (in our area, it is Bow & Shot Gun only, no rifles other than Black Powder, keeping the population down and since a real Hunter only takes a clean shot, and if it is a wounding shot, tracks the animal to put it out of its misery.

Plus, we eat what we hunt, we don't waste anything, it is not about just "Killing" things as some people think.

Like it or not, many animals have been displaced by the over-development of properties.

20+ year PCA member

Many Cool Porsches, Projects& Parts, Vintage BMX bikes too

http://www.bvdmotorsports.com
Active Rennlist Member.
http://members.rennlist.com/racerbvd/
See blog for my For Sale & Wanted List.
http://www.914club.com/bbs2/index.php?automodule=blog&blogid=337&

Last edited by Racerbvd; 05-04-2012 at 07:41 PM..
Old 05-04-2012, 07:39 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I love hunting, I don't love killing. Every time I shoot a deer, I am thankful that the animal gave its life. I am deeply aware that I just took the life of a sentient creature. I honor the animals life by ensuring that nothing goes to waste.

Funny, I was literally sitting here contemplating what to make as a side with my venison sausage.

I find 'sport' hunting repulsive. Killing without purpose is not ok with me.
2002 Mustang GT......because my wife won't let me grow a mullet.
No matter how responsible he may seem, never give your gun to a monkey.
Old 05-04-2012, 07:45 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardDrive View Post

I find 'sport' hunting repulsive. Killing without purpose is not ok with me.
Couldn't agree more... You can't even make a decent pot of soup with antlers...
Old 05-04-2012, 07:51 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Double Trouble

I think yellow rice would be good.

I shoot ground hogs for my brother in law the farmer. They eat his crops and their holes break the legs of unwary livestock. They are nuisance varmints, but I still feel bad when I kill them. I hunt no other critters. I don't condem those that hunt and use the animal for eating. I think trophy hunting is senseless. I catch and release most fish I catch unless they are the very tasty kind.

Last edited by targa911S; 05-04-2012 at 08:04 PM..
Old 05-04-2012, 08:02 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]
JOT MON ABBR OTH

First off, we do NOT like killing things. We avoid killing at all times possible.

When we hunted in West Texas we were culling out the deer that had issues or were older. The land (about 1500 acres around another 1500 unhunted acres) produced a lot of deer and the family rented out to hunters. The hunters (NOT canned hunting) only wanted trophies. We had to thin the rest of the herds.

We both consider ourselves hunters but have not killed an animal other than our cows for food for several years. No need for the meat and no overpopulation.

I DO NOT like having to kill the stray dogs people drop off because they no longer want them. I hate finding the dead cats. I am upset that people have to kill off the higher food chain animals in order to feel safe. The higher food chain animals keep the coyotes and such in check. Nature abhors a vacuum.

For the reason above I refuse to kill the cougar who has taken up hunting range in my backyard. It leaves me alone and I leave it alone. I also no longer have to kill stray dogs, Kitty does that for me. And the coyotes are staying away as well.

Need to feel safe, live in a mamby pamby neighborhood. This is the country (or USED to be) learn to live with the animals.
'95 993 (sold )
I don't take scalps. I'm civilized like white man now, I shoot man in back.
Old 05-04-2012, 08:19 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to vash
I am comfortable with the fact that I am an animal in the food chain. People are now removed from the process of meat. I've heard people say, " I can't eat food looking at me" when they reference a meal featuring a whole fish. Where do they think a steak comes from?. I say a gentle prayer when I take an animal. I waste very little. I eat deer liver and heart. Hunting is not easy. I suck at it. It is so challenging. I do it the hard way. Hiking with a bow.
Old 05-04-2012, 08:40 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Driver

Garage
Man, I even felt a little bad yesterday digging up a couple plants as we're re-doing some landscaping in front of our house.
Old 05-04-2012, 08:40 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
"YOU CANT RACE A CAB."

Garage
the above descriptions preeety much sum it all up. when was the last damn time you went into a store and bought 500# of meat??????????? any of you?

well i bought a mega stand up freezer just for that reason. i can feed myself and family members. for a long time. plus i get to enjoy the outdoors that i grew up in dirty biking horsey back hiking fishing blah blah.

i hate cities. people are NO DAMN GOOD!

the serenity of the outdoors is my church.

catching trout from my north face himilayan hotel(will steiger antarctic expedition built) tent in a 4 day driving rain 3 feet from my tent and dragging them into the vestibule and whacking their heads off behind the gill, whacking their tail and gutting them right in front of my kids then throwing them into a pan of butter onions and lemon juice is one of the all time highlights of being outdoors.

on the other hand nailing any of my elk/deer with either my .308's or my .338 is another incredible walk on water moment. once agin the kids learned how to fend for themselves and learned the drill.

watching my kid nail his elk and the pride he had was a gas, just like their 1st trouts.

nothing BETTER than face painting the successful hunter with elk/deer blood on their cheeks. we respect the hell out of the animal and waste nothing.

i am also doing a valuable service to all the city slicker morons driving down I-40 thru the state at 75mph +. each and every deer/elk i/we nail is (1) less elk/deer YOU may run into on I-40! ever think about dat???????

plus there is nothing better than the BRAGGING RIGHTS and putting pics up online and listen to all the weekend warriors snivil.

matter of fact with (2) count'em 1 and 2-BULL ELK TAGS..............this year, my preparations are already under way with gear strewn across hells 1/2 acre getting fixed replaced uberized.

i even have my marlin 1895GS 45/70 already in the gunsmiths shop getting a wild west guns big loop lever custom fitted(they said it was a drop in fit........they LIED!). we dont mess around. elk hunts are spendy dont fool yerself. but worth every penny of memories for the rest of your life.

i aint a gatherer.................BORING! about the only seed im a gonna eat is a sunflower seed and the nutrition from a jar might make a sparrow fat, not me.

and the best thing................is every weekend even before its the weekend, i know what i can go do...........load up the ice chest/grab the spoons/throw the fart bags in and go scouting. and with scouting comes shooting. and since im a cheap ass, we will shoot BRICKS UPON BRICKS of .22's honing our skills for that special "ONE SHOT ONE KILL MOMENT". and to me because its ALL ABOUT ME NAILING THE POO OUT OF AN ELK THIS YEAR. THATS BIG- PEG THE FUN METER FUN!
Old 05-04-2012, 08:43 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
"YOU CANT RACE A CAB."

Garage

ODD DUCK 1 ...............i like that. I LIKE THAT ALOT! thank you.

if there are any ducks around we will blast them also. i love duck ala orange............peking duck is fine also. thats on my list also........a nice 32" barrel semi-auto benelli DUCK BLASTER with FULL CHOKE and LAZAR(laser) SIGHTS! LOL!

if it flies it dies if it crawls it falls.

Last edited by ODDJOB UNO; 05-04-2012 at 09:01 PM..
Old 05-04-2012, 08:52 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckterrier View Post
Most all that food you buy in the grocery store was once a living thing. You pay someone else to do your killing. Does that turn you on?
Old 05-05-2012, 05:36 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Yeah, most people just hire proxy killers
I'm going to eat meat so I'll step up and take a life to do so
Troy
Old 05-05-2012, 05:49 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
"YOU CANT RACE A CAB."

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by J P Stein View Post
Most all that food you buy in the grocery store was once a living thing. You pay someone else to do your killing. Does that turn you on?
dont cha just love all the nice healthful CHEMICALS ADDED?

after re-reading the statement "what is it that turns you hunter(not gatherer)folk on?"

i denote a very eastern high society talk down yer nose we are special condescending attitude(charles emerson winchester the III) towards us so called -uneducated folk out here in da west wearing our kawboy hats and boots and riding our lil horseys and chasing illegal aliens and riding our dirty bikes and pick em up trucks with our dawgs thru the grand canyon shooting our guns and drinking beer!

well guess whats WRONG with that description???????????

i do wear kawboy boots and a hat sometimes. i DO own a pick'em up and a dawg. i do shoot spoons ALOT! i DO own dirty bikes and a quad. i DO go after ILLEGAL ALIENS THAT PAINT MY WALL BABY POO YELLOW w/out my permission!
i have a 3.9 GPA JESUIT EDUCATION(high school and college)!

i DONT OWN A HORSE because every swinging richard around here has one, and i grew up with the damn things and can ride ENGLISH and WESTERN saddles, and i can grab one within about 10minutes if i needed one. and if ya havent been kicked /damn near stomped to death by a horse or a jackass you havent LIVED!

WE DO LIVE to DRINK BEER on a nice 115degree F day! and eat jalapenos and tacos!

and its REAL DAMN HARD to ride a dirty bike quad jeep pick 'em up INTO THE FREEKING GRAND CANYON! not because its illegal...................because its real DAMN STEEP! trust me i have hiked rim to river,rim to rim,rim to rim to rim, havasupai,hermit trail,kaibab trail etc.

so sitting in an eastern town SMOTHERED WITH PEOPLE(people are NO damn good), just doesnt sit well with us "KIND OF FOLK" out here in da west.

cracks me up(i mean LMFAO x 100) every time i went to chicago/new york/new jersey/pennsylvania/boston/virginny/vermont/maine and listen to,

this kind of upscale intelligence:

"what about da rattlesnakes?" classic.

"what about da injuns?" on the floor laughing.

"what about da HEEE-LEE MONSTERS(gila)?"

"what about ex gov ev meee-chum" (the pikka-ninny gov)

"what about shurf joe?"

"what about da scorpions?"

"can ya get me a rattlesnake hatband or belt?" hell i'll get ya rattlesnake tony lama green mojave boots if ya want. like diamondback rattler boots? wez gots them too!"

"does everyone speak spanish?" hell yes some of us "FOLK" believe it or not have a grasp of LATIN/SPANISH/GERMAN!" amazing huh?

"what about all da GUNS?" hell YES! everybody gots one or possibly 50! including .50 caliber FULL AUTOS!"

yep completely amazes us the moronic attitudes and visions of what the west is all about............in reality to some of YOU EASTERN FOLK!

keep stimulating the economy by buying those dime store cowboy novels and watching lonesome dove reruns.

and dont fergit now...............READ THOSE LABELS ON ALL YER STORE BOUGHT GOODS, theres somebody on wall street making BIG BUCKS shoving crap down yer throat every single day.

about the ONLY taste of the southwest you "folk" will ever get is a BAG OF DORITOS w/sour cream!

dont fergit to watch "gunsmoke" reruns......................thats what ITS ALL ABOUT every single day here!

Last edited by ODDJOB UNO; 05-05-2012 at 06:31 AM..
Old 05-05-2012, 06:26 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to vash
gatherers? pffttt...we call them vegetarians.
Old 05-05-2012, 08:02 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Well, OJU, you do have a way with words (I think).

"Big city folk" would be a better description of these elitists.

They do make for great reading/stories.....their Pekingese carried off by a Golden Eagle during the trip to Jellystone......or their being stomped by a Buffalo......or the fool (& his SO) that moved to Alaska to live with the Brown bears. They are still there as bear feces.

They seem to resent being at the top of the food chain and have no idea of how they got there ....or even a familiarity with the term.

Basically, they are a waste of a good set of thumbs.
Old 05-05-2012, 08:04 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
"YOU CANT RACE A CAB."

Garage
oh i do try and make people laugh. but the sad thing is those questions are TRUE!

when asked "what about the rattlesnakes?" i tell 'em THEY ARE EVERYWHERE!"

and THEY ARE! all over my property and where i work. daily if not 1-2 a week we will see them.

so whats a man do to?

well once again its simple "country folk" wizdumb.................

SHOVELS MAN! shovels strategically placed all over my 1.5 acres.

pellet pistol/rifle!

HOES like really LONG HANDLED SHARP HOES!

the old daze.................man it was .22 bird shot/9mm birdshot/.357 birdshot/.410 birdshot...............until PEOPLE OVER RAN US!

now ya gots to be "kinder/gentleer" and not shoot within a 1/4 mile of an occupied building!

people suck...............laws suck.

some day im a gonna be a "DENTAL FLOSS TYCOON" and own me a RANCH in da middle of nowheres.
Old 05-05-2012, 08:12 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
"YOU CANT RACE A CAB."

Garage
can you spill(spell) "STEREO-TYPICAL?"

i think anyone that questions why we "dum azz mtn folk" hunt is stooo-pid in and of itself.

WHY? because it beats the hell out of WORK! which i have been at since 521am this morning due to an emergency water leak.

sitting standing managing thinking worrying at my job all damn day 60-70 hrs a week...............all i think about is throwing a tank of primo fuel in my truck or porschen or quad and GETTING THE HELL OUT OF DODGE!

i hate traffic/i hate construction/i hate tourists/ i hate snowbirds!

spend just a week in the great beyond and you will notice after a few days all of your SENSES COME BACK! hearing smell sight etc.

theres NOTHING BETTER!

if more people utilized their national parks and forests instead of burning them down or littering the hell out of them the more they would appreciate the wilderness, let alone my gawd if they actually got off their fat azz and stopped watching television and actually attempted to fish/hunt!

NEW SENSATIONS(lou reed) sums it UP!

the great beyond-BFE-trudging across the tundra mile after mile-yep i live for it!

banging yer 1st elk/deer.................it beats the HELL OUT OF SEX and lasts a hell of alot longer!

and as far as HATRED....................well just read a lil edward abbey and try telling me he didnt have some forward thinking vision.
Old 05-05-2012, 08:42 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Now available:  101 Projects for Your Porsche Boxster!
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racerbvd View Post

Like it or not, many animals have been displaced by the over-development of properties.
In fact, scientists have found that habitat loss and degradation is the #1 reason for extinction and pop'n reduction in almost all species studied.
Old 05-05-2012, 01:28 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardDrive View Post
I love hunting, I don't love killing. ...
in that case, many of the psychological drives or components of hunting can be satisfied by "hunting" wildlife with a camera
Old 05-05-2012, 01:30 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)
Old 05-05-2012, 01:30 PM

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: