Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Another Audiofile Question - Why does volume count down Db's

This is for my own curiosity.

My new Yamaha receiver, when I turn the volume up the display is counting db's down. Anyone know why that is?
'16 BMW R Nine T (the fun one) & '17 BMW G310R
Old 02-25-2016, 09:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
It should be counting up. for example when you turn it on and it is at -40db and you turn the volume up it will go to -35db and so on.

"Don't get so caught up in your right to dissent that you forget your obligation to contribute." Mrs. James to her son Chappie.
Old 02-25-2016, 11:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Used Up User

Garage
In layman terms, a volume control reduces the voltage going to the transistors in the amplifier stage, therefore reducing the output down from maximum rated power. In theory, the 0dB setting is the maximum 'clean' power you can attain. Of course, music is not a test tone so the dynamic range of it, the efficiency of your speaker, the air volume you are trying to fill etc etc will all impact this.

Ian

----- “Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.” A. Einstein -----
Old 02-25-2016, 12:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered ConfUser

As above, it's a scale of attenuation. At full volume there is no attenuation so it reads zero. At low volume there is a higher amount of attenuation, so a higher value.
Old 02-25-2016, 01:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Evil Genius

Garage
db is also logarithmic.

if you want twice the volume, you need 10x the power.

Double amplifier power does not double the volume - Geoff the Grey Geek

Wag more, bark less.
Old 02-25-2016, 01:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

All true above. Still, call me crazy, but I think the volume control display thing is backwards.
Old 02-25-2016, 02:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Not all AV receivers show it that way. I owned a Yamaha a few yrs back and it was the same. Have had 2 Sony's since...both show 0 for the lowest volume.
Old 02-25-2016, 02:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
I'll only buy it if it goes to "11"
Old 02-25-2016, 03:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Back in the saddle again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tidybuoy View Post
This is for my own curiosity.

My new Yamaha receiver, when I turn the volume up the display is counting db's down. Anyone know why that is?
Are the numbers negative? If the numbers have a - sign, then they aren't counting down, they're counting up. -40 is "smaller" than -35.
'08 Boxster RS60 Spyder #0099/1960
- never named a car before, but this is Charlotte.
'88 targa SOLD 2004 - gone but not forgotten
Old 02-25-2016, 03:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks for the explanations. I guess the numbers are actually counting up but starting with a negative number. After reading this thread and some info on the net I have a better understanding of why.

With the new receiver and subs, I can't imagine ever getting to zero db.
'16 BMW R Nine T (the fun one) & '17 BMW G310R
Old 02-25-2016, 04:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Band.

Send a message via AIM to Gogar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tidybuoy View Post
With the new receiver and subs, I can't imagine ever getting to zero db.
Totally!

There actually are "standards" (for movies, anyway) that state certain levels of audio to be on the digital recording, and the system can be calibrated to produce a certain SPL of audio through the speakers with a test noise. Assuming your speakers have a certain capability and your room is perfect and your Johnson rod and muffler bearings are in a certain state of tune, etc. etc.

Music recordings aren't bound by these guidelines and as such they cram their level on the recording all the way to the top. You might find that the loudest you can stand is somewhere between -30 and -18 on your readout there, depending on the kind of music. (very very simplified explanation, though.)

But yeah, for the real world, the plus sign on the remote means louder and the minus sign means quieter.
1973 Honda CB350F
Old 02-25-2016, 05:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
It's a marketing thing mostly I suspect. I also have a Yamaha receiver that has this and it works fine but seems dumb. For math geeks, if you have a 100w receiver and you are at minus 20db you are at approximately 1w of output power.
Old 02-25-2016, 06:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: