Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Leadfoot Geezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by allaircooled View Post
The VW crowd here does the faux patina and I just don't get it.
Yeah, for some reason, patina (both real & fake) is really big in the vintage VW scene. And all the fakes look like crap, especially when over-sprayed with clear gloss

This is the real deal...even if a bit over-cooked.

Old 04-19-2016, 05:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
Registered

You guy really want my patina truck? I have one and it has 110,000 original miles on a first gen diesel motor. Matching number too. Its real freaking patina all-right. It used to just sit at my job site until it needed to be moved. Now, I cleaned it up and I drive it a few times a month. Love driving it, but if you want we can trade it for your 911.

I wanted to paint this of mine soon. It doesn't look too bad, just dings, scraps from used. The clear coat is worn through from our Socal sun. Some kid at Starbucks told me the same damn thing, keep the patina because it show character . Damn kids, fooking hipsters.
Old 04-19-2016, 06:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
Registered

First it was our clothing. Torn to pieces and we pay extra money for that. What's next, Our houses? When the fooking neighbor is too dang poor or lazy to take care of their house and have crap all over the lawn with bit and pieces of fenders and motors sitting in the back, patches of muti-colored comp shingles on the roof, it will be fashionable real soon. It might make the cover of Dwell mag. I can't wait.
Old 04-19-2016, 06:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)
Get off my lawn!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by look 171 View Post
First it was our clothing. Torn to pieces and we pay extra money for that. What's next, Our houses? When the fooking neighbor is too dang poor or lazy to take care of their house and have crap all over the lawn with bit and pieces of fenders and motors sitting in the back, patches of muti-colored comp shingles on the roof, it will be fashionable real soon. It might make the cover of Dwell mag. I can't wait.

I agree. The jeans at the store all look like the jeans in my yard work and garage work pile minus the oil stains on my jeans. I always buy jeans that are NOT stone washed and ripped. I will wear them out on my own. Same with patina or drifting and rolling burn outs. I don't understand at all. Now get off my lawn.
1986 El Camino with Fuel Injected 350 Crate Engine
My Motto: I will never be too old to have a happy childhood!
Old 04-19-2016, 08:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)
breathe, pause, think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdfifteen View Post
It's a one-ton F-3. The numeral indicates the capacity. F=1 = 1/2 ton, f=2 3/4 ton, F-3 1 ton, etc..
I don't get the point of fake "patina," but that's been covered in another thread.
By "patina'd" I didn't mean it's fake. That's 66 years of earned character, nothing fake about it.
Old 04-19-2016, 10:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)
breathe, pause, think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VincentVega View Post
Removed some paint and painted that way intentionally. Sort of like faux painting a wall in your house.
Again, it's not fake, it wasn't painted. I find it really funny that folks jump to conclusions...

This truck was owned by a welder/handyman/plumber in Monterey Park (SoCal)since 1958. He passed away in 2000 & the son in law inherited it. He had big plans, but it ultimately just sat in his mom's back driveway for 11 years. It had been sitting outside since 1983 and I bought it in 2011 or so. I just took comet cleanser to the paint to get the dirt and oxidation off and then dried it, that's all. I'm selling it on the ford truck enthusiasts forum.

Anyway this "heap" drives better than most old cars...it actually has good brakes (all rebuilt w/ new shoes). It has a Ford synchro-silent gearbox 4 speed (granny 1st), most have the crash box.

I realize it's not everyone's cup of tea, but it gets just as many looks and thumbs up as my 77 930 did.
Old 04-19-2016, 11:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

breathe, pause, think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdfifteen View Post
That's a pretty crude job. Probably done with a sander. A buffer would likely do a better job.
Agreed, Comet cleanser is pretty crude, but it is effective...

Old 04-19-2016, 11:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: