Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

Garage
Most weather resistant clear finish for wood

I have a piece of wood outdoor furniture. After a couple years in Portland rain, the finish failed. Today I started sanding off the finish and will refinish it with . . . What is the clear finish that is most resistant to the elements? Something like marine spar urethane?

Old 06-18-2017, 09:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

With my limited knowledge of finishes, I would think marine spar urethane would be the best route. I have a wood front door I recovered with it. It gets some weather and sun, and hasn't weathered any that I can see in the three years since I did it.
Old 06-18-2017, 09:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered

Send a message via MSN to sc_rufctr
POR-15 make a clear coat called Glisten PC.
It's intended for alloy but I've been thinking about using it to refinish some wood trim in my old MB.

It uses a catalyst, cures water clear and it's UV resistant.
Old 06-18-2017, 10:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered

Nothing last under the rain and sunshine, even sunshine in Portland.

I really like a penetrating oil like Penofin. I use it on lots of decks and have had great result. Again, I can only speak for socal weather as I have no experience elsewhere. if you are looking for a clear coat, then I would woould look at a finish by General Finishes. I have had great result with all their products. You need a flexible top coat that will expend and contract with the lumber. I have tried marine varhish but we also get the crappy Ca formula (not sure if there's such thing as we almost never use varnish anymore). Boat builders have been using epoxy (can be brushed on) for a long time. It looks a little like plastic, if protection is your priority. We did an exterior kitchen finished with epoxy (I suggested based on their requirement on durability) on all lumber. It was a bit shiny and the owner looooovered it. Myself, not so much. I like oil for a none intense, more calming look.
Old 06-19-2017, 12:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
I see you

Quote:
Originally Posted by afterburn 549 View Post
Like said, it is all sacrificial.
Do what us boat people do for maintenance as the redo will be a lot more EZ.
West system epoxy and others make a real thin clear epoxy coat.
Then 5 coats over it with your favorite varnish .
For a better gleam sand between coats.
This will be good for 5 years or more.
Hint-
After two years sand dwn a little ,and add more coats of varnish.
Good for another 3 years.
Repeat every couple years and that way a total strip is not necessary.
The varnish will adhere to the epoxy?

“There is no nation on earth powerful enough to accomplish our overthrow. Our destruction, should it come at all, will be from another quarter. From the inattention of the people to the concerns of their government, from their carelessness and negligence.”
Old 06-19-2017, 04:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Timely thread

What kind of wood? I need to rebuild/repair a few outdoor benches. My initial thought was dimensional cedar but I havent found it locally.

On the boat I've had good results with Cetol and Rustoleum spar varnish. Both a little different. If you like the Cetol colors its hard to beat for simple application.
Old 06-19-2017, 06:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

A Teak table that sits in the Arizona sun all year long, as well as our monsoon rains, and I use Pure Tung Oil. Slightly sand down every 3 years and reapply.
https://www.realmilkpaint.com/shop/oils/pure-tung-chinawood/
- - Don R. 1994, an excerpt from My Ass From a Hole in the Ground - A Comparative View
Old 06-19-2017, 06:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

I oiled (Pure Tung) because Teak will turn a beautiful grey if left outside...I wanted to keep the original Teak color...and it has lasted.
- - Don R. 1994, an excerpt from My Ass From a Hole in the Ground - A Comparative View
Old 06-19-2017, 07:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
I'm having good results with Zar.
Old 06-19-2017, 10:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
I don't care if it looks like plastic. The most vulnerable part is the arm (shown), because it is wide and flat. If the next finish doesn't last, I'll simply wrap copper sheet around the surface.

This is a weird piece. It is a "courting chair", two seats separated by a wide arm and facing different directions. Attractive but bizarre. I bought it at a charity auction, we've never really had a use for it, so now I'm going to refinish and stick it in my front yard as lawn art.
Old 06-19-2017, 01:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
So, about teak outdoor furniture. I have a bunch of teak tables and chairs in the back yard. I don't oil them, since I (a) like the grey look (b) am lazy. The stuff has lasted for decades with no obvious issues. At some point, should I apply oil?
Old 06-19-2017, 01:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

^^^
Not an expert by any means. But I've seen my own outdoor Teak items in CA get that beautiful grey and them begin to split. That's why I'm now keeping this lovely table oil-treated. It's a 2 - 3 yr. deal here in AZ.
That's all I can offer.
Old 06-19-2017, 02:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Registered

Cetol is ugly but really is weatherproof. I oiled my teak trim on my boat last year. It looks like hell now.
Old 06-19-2017, 04:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
MBruns for President

Garage
Awlgrip Awlwood MA Clear Gloss

and

Epifanes Wood Finish Gloss Varnish

are my favorites for lasting (Florida is brutal for finishes)
Old 06-19-2017, 07:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
3.4 Bigger is better

We have our wood floors done in the WocaOil interior. It has been great. I was going to use this on the fence outside. Just haven't gotten there yet.
https://wocadeckoil.com/products/woca-exterior-oil/

04 996 40th Anniversary
88 911 Diamond Blue CE Carrera 3.4 HC3.4 member
2016 Acura RDX
Old 06-20-2017, 09:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Custom User Title

I refinished a table in my backyard. It came with my house, and was just raw wood and looked like hell. I was about to throw it out and decided to play with my sander. Low and behold, under all that sludge was a nice mahogany (or at least looked like it). After staining, I used Epifanes varnish:

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/epifanes--clear-high-gloss-varnish--P004_128_001_002?recordNum=3

I believe it is meant for sailboats, so my logic was that if it works on a sailboat it should be suited well for my back patio. So far, it has held up beautifully and I get compliments all the time about it. Its not cheap, but it sure looks purty and has held up great.
Old 06-20-2017, 10:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Put that thing in your front yard and you'll have the historic district design police on yer butt in no time...
Old 06-20-2017, 08:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Freeborn View Post
Put that thing in your front yard and you'll have the historic district design police on yer butt in no time...
Nope. No rules for landscaping or anything other than house exterior. It could be a 200 sq ft outhouse, no restriction.

Old 06-20-2017, 08:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: