Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 5 - Miscellaneous > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Deplorable Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfuerst911sc View Post
I was watching the local news here in Marietta and Clark Howard recommended to do a credit freeze with all three major players: Equifax , Experian and Transunion . Sounded like a good thing to do even if it may be too late .

I went on all three of their websites and followed the " freeze credit " directions . On all three went all the way up to taking my credit card info but when I submitted all three stated freeze request denied So now what ?

Experian and Transunion state you can do the freeze over the phone so I guess I will try that route . But with Equifax the only other option is by mail..........what does that buy the execs more time to dump stock and make millions ???
These guys are in the business of collecting (and selling) personal information. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if they weren't trying to capitalize on this by getting people to "sign up" for services like credit monitoring / freezing only to have it be essentially clickbait / phishing intended to REALLY just amass more of your personal information. Heck, if I were a conspiracy theorist I might even think they orchestrated the whole thing themselves to see how many people they could get "current" information about through creating a panic... Naaaaaah. That'd never happen. Would it?

Can I make a prediction that absolutely NOTHING will happen to any of them or their executives? Our entire political system is owned by people exactly like this (good-sounding intentions like "draining the swamp" notwithstanding).

Black Cars Matter

Last edited by Porsche-O-Phile; 09-08-2017 at 06:42 AM..
Old 09-08-2017, 06:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
I was watching the local news here in Marietta and Clark Howard recommended to do a credit freeze with all three major players: Equifax , Experian and Transunion . Sounded like a good thing to do even if it may be too late .

I went on all three of their websites and followed the " freeze credit " directions . On all three went all the way up to taking my credit card info but when I submitted all three stated freeze request denied So now what ?

Experian and Transunion state you can do the freeze over the phone so I guess I will try that route . But with Equifax the only other option is by mail..........what does that buy the execs more time to dump stock and make millions ???
Freeze it with Experian. Once you freeze with one it automatically freezes them all. I learned this when my credit was compromised.

Still have the freeze active. I have to unfreeze when applying for a credit card or loan, in Calif they charge $10-15, some states $0. You can unfreeze 24 hrs or until midnight on a specified date.

"The only two things you can truly depend upon are gravity and greed." - Jack Palance
Old 09-08-2017, 06:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
Non Compos Mentis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche-O-Phile View Post
It wouldn't surprise me in the least if they weren't trying to capitalize on this by getting people to "sign up" for services like credit monitoring / freezing only to have it be essentially clickbait / phishing intended to REALLY just amass more of your personal information.
I "froze" my credit with all three bureaus quite a while ago. The stupid "pre-approved" credit card offers stopped. Junk mail in general slowed down.

I'm pretty sure a credit freeze does what its supposed to. ...At least I hope so!
Old 09-08-2017, 07:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

At this point, nobody can be legally expected to be responsible for consequences of ID theft, I guess...

Yeah freezing works, but I did all 3. Just one was not enough in my case, I know because I bought a car and they still got my stuff thru another reporting agency than the frozen one... So I did all 3, and tried credit Karma a week later: Locked ! Leased a car 1y later and they still could not get anything... I'm sure my "data" is out there regardless (hell someone kindly filed my taxes for me a few years back), the freeze just prevents "new" activity: no new accounts, new cards, new loans. it's cool ! You all should do it regardless, you can unfreeze on demand in minutes via your phone using a PIN, refreeze later... It's about $10 per, $30 total, trust me it's cheap compared to the alternative hassles...
Old 09-08-2017, 08:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)
Bill is Dead.

It was probably in a linked article, but here is their official website to find out if you were one of the compromised humans.

https://www.equifaxsecurity2017.com/

At the top of the page, click the link to enroll in complimentary protection. It will then take you to a page where you enter some data and will get this message:

Based on the information provided, we believe that your personal information may have been impacted by this incident.
Click the button below to continue your enrollment in TrustedID Premier.

ALTHOUGH - before you click ENROLL, you may want to be aware that people who enroll in their "complimentary" service are possibly waiving their right to sue individually or participate in a class action suit. See "terms of service" https://trustedidpremier.com/static/terms

Last edited by cashflyer; 09-08-2017 at 08:28 AM..
Old 09-08-2017, 08:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashflyer View Post
It was probably in a linked article, but here is their official website to find out if you were one of the compromised humans.

https://www.equifaxsecurity2017.com/

At the top of the page, click the link to enroll in complimentary protection. It will then take you to a page where you enter some data and will get this message:

Based on the information provided, we believe that your personal information may have been impacted by this incident.
Click the button below to continue your enrollment in TrustedID Premier.

ALTHOUGH - before you click ENROLL, you may want to be aware that people who enroll in their "complimentary" service are possibly waiving their right to sue individually or participate in a class action suit. See "terms of service" https://trustedidpremier.com/static/terms

I used the link above a few minutes ago . It stated they don't believe my data was compromised no idea if that is accurate or not . Then tried to sign up for their complimentary credit reporting and it stated I could not do so until 9/15 ?????
Old 09-08-2017, 08:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Well, I just checked that link & it said my data may have been impacted. The I tried to contact Equifax with the number they provided to try to freeze my credit & got a busy signal.
Old 09-08-2017, 09:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

I just froze my credit, and my wife's, with all three agencies this A.M. Used the online method for Equifax and Experion--no problems and got immediate confirmation and issued security PINs for me and wife. Transunion had web problems so used the phone number provided. Again, no problems, generated my own PINs, and they will mail out hard copy of confirmation to my home.
Stabilized on a Pelican I.V. drip
Old 09-08-2017, 09:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)
Bill is Dead.

Is this the online method you used?
https://www.freeze.equifax.com/Freeze/jsp/SFF_PersonalIDInfo.jsp
Old 09-08-2017, 09:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashflyer View Post
Yes. Did it twice, once for me and once for my wife.
Old 09-08-2017, 09:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

I just went on all three websites & froze my credit reports. I've been intending to do this for some time. Better late than never I guess.
Old 09-08-2017, 10:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evans, Marv View Post
I just went on all three websites & froze my credit reports. I've been intending to do this for some time. Better late than never I guess.
Same here, the latest breach just put a fire under my a$$. The information is already out there and may be used to impact one's credit for years to come so, IMO, if you haven't had an attempt to hijack your credit to date, you should be protected. Some states I noted automatically cancel a credit freeze after 7 years or so. It might be a good idea to check if your particular state is one of those.
Old 09-08-2017, 10:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

Tried every friggen link that has been posted none work for me !!! My wife had the same results So I called Experian and had success !!! Then called Transunion and got all the way to creating my pin number , I created the pin number and their system yacked and said they would put me in contact with a mirror fogging representative.........then the line went busy . I give up .

I will try again on a different day but hopefully doing at least Experian has helped . What a pain in the sack .
Old 09-08-2017, 10:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)
Now in 993 land ...

Garage
Be careful ...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-switch/wp/2017/09/08/what-to-know-before-you-check-equifaxs-data-breach-website/?utm_term=.5e9fa1f5eb14
Old 09-08-2017, 10:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)

Garage
As I said in a previous post, as long as you freeze with one you are good. When I applied for a car loan recently they would not approve because my credit was frozen. Called Experian, lifted the freeze for 24 hrs, and called the dealer to rerun my credit. Same when I just purchased my home.

It's a PITA at times but I don't have to worry about I.D. theft anymore.

"The only two things you can truly depend upon are gravity and greed." - Jack Palance
Old 09-08-2017, 10:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)
least common denominator

Quote:
Originally Posted by techweenie View Post
Rep. Schiff just stated this happened about 6 weeks ago. He's pissed it took so long for Equifax to report it.

---------it gets worse---------

Equifax executives dumped $1.8M in stocks before news of their hack went public: report
I'm not sure freezing our credit now will help much... IMHO
Old 09-08-2017, 10:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)

Quote:
Tried every friggen link that has been posted none work for me !!! My wife had the same results So I called Experian and had success !!! Then called Transunion and got all the way to creating my pin number , I created the pin number and their system yacked and said they would put me in contact with a mirror fogging representative.........then the line went busy . I give up.
Experian and Equifax worked for me but I also had no luck with Transunion.
Old 09-08-2017, 10:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)
Back in the saddle again

Quote:
I used the link above a few minutes ago . It stated they don't believe my data was compromised no idea if that is accurate or not . Then tried to sign up for their complimentary credit reporting and it stated I could not do so until 9/15 ?????
Yeah, everyone gets a date. That's probably for 1 good reason and 1 bad one.

Good reason #1.

If they let everyone sign up when they see the link, the website would be flooded with traffic to the point that it would completely fail, much like occurred on the Obamacare website. By spacing things out, they have a steady flow of folks instead of a flash flood that takes everything down/out.
This is actually a really valid reason.

Bad Reason #1

If they give you a date to come back, somewhere in the range of 1/3 - 2/3 of folks won't read the screen or will forget to come back and they won't have to hand out free service. It's pretty much the same as offering a mail in rebate to get people to purchase stuff. Most folks don't mail it in or don't keep a copy and therefore end up paying full price.
'08 Boxster RS60 Spyder #0099/1960
- never named a car before, but this is Charlotte.
'88 targa SOLD 2004 - gone but not forgotten
Old 09-08-2017, 10:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)

So, do you have to sign up with equifax to have been compromised? I'm a 'puter illiterate, so have trouble understanding what's going on. Cindy & I don't have a need to borrow, and our home has been paid for since the early 90's. We have used credit cards, but pay them off when the bill comes.
Old 09-08-2017, 10:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwd72s View Post
So, do you have to sign up with equifax to have been compromised? I'm a 'puter illiterate, so have trouble understanding what's going on. Cindy & I don't have a need to borrow, and our home has been paid for since the early 90's. We have used credit cards, but pay them off when the bill comes.
Short answer is NO, you don't sign up. If you have established credit of any kind, it is reported to the three companies, typically. You don't have a choice.
Old 09-08-2017, 11:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: