Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
The Unsettler

Send a message via AIM to stomachmonkey
For the old farts only. AARP

Going to be driving all over the NE in a month, college tour with the daughter, yes she still has not committed anywhere, mostly because her mother is involved and the longer Mom has to make a decision the more "complicated" things tend to become.

Anyway, my lovely bride has suggested I sign up for AARP for rental car discounts.

What do the rest of you old farts think?

Anyone join?

Get any value out of it?
Old 10-09-2017, 05:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Not worth anything in my experience. Priceline Express Deals are the cheapest you can do for a car rental.
Old 10-09-2017, 06:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Actual Porsche owner

Garage
Good for prescription drug discounts. AARP discounts for most things are straight discounts from the provider, without the limitations the bulk buyers put on your purchase.

BTW, we'll be in the Boston area in late November. If we are anywhere close we should get together.

Last edited by wdfifteen; 10-09-2017 at 06:22 PM..
Old 10-09-2017, 06:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
I see you

Not a fan.

Old bikers don't get old by accident
equito ergo sum
Old 10-09-2017, 06:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Information Junky

You know that's just a business, right? Business of separating money from...
Old 10-09-2017, 06:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Kinda hard to beat Costco if you are a member. Normally the best car rental rates, an extra driver is always included.
Beechcraft V-Tail Bonanza
(Fly'n high and low)
Old 10-09-2017, 06:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Bandwidth AbUser

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorschePilot View Post
Kinda hard to beat Costco if you are a member. Normally the best car rental rates, an extra driver is always included.
^^^this
Old 10-09-2017, 06:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

I signed up, but haven't renewed. You can get about $150 off a ticket to London on BA from here with it. I think the card was $50 (I'm old, don't remember stuff like I used to )

That is the only time I ever used it...
Old 10-09-2017, 06:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

I just checked Costco.com for a car rental rate for a trip I have coming up. It gave me the exact same rate as Priceline.com.
Old 10-09-2017, 06:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Free Exams All November!

I've not found it to be that useful. AAA seems just as good or better.

But to save even more money, skip the college tours. Unless she is a recruited athlete going to meet coaches who can guarantee an admission (or something similar), or she is contemplating doing a binding early admission application somewhere, the "vanity college tours" are a waste of time. Esp. for students like your daughter, who I recall has high academic numbers.
Old 10-09-2017, 07:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
I joined because its time for me to get medicare. I can get a very good supplement plan through AARP for a good price. They also supply me with a ton of junk mail almost every day. No problem, I have a big trash can.
Old 10-09-2017, 07:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackDidley View Post
They also supply me with a ton of junk mail almost every day. No problem, I have a big trash can.
This is true. I could heat my house with it.
Old 10-09-2017, 08:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Information Overloader

There's probably value in it. But not particularly to you. AARP has so much money, I'm not giving them any of mine. I called them up to stop the junk mail and it worked...for awhile.
Old 10-10-2017, 01:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Just as good discount with aaa as mentioned. I dropped AARP some ago after repeated junk and spam mail regarding political candidates I didn't respect...
1962 XKE Roadster (sold)
19 motorcycles
Old 10-10-2017, 04:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
The Unsettler

Send a message via AIM to stomachmonkey
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdfifteen View Post
BTW, we'll be in the Boston area in late November. If we are anywhere close we should get together.
Only there 3 days. Right now plans are dinner with Shuan on Monday the 20th so if the timing works you should join us.

Thanks all for the feedback on AARP.

About what I suspected.

Quote:
But to save even more money, skip the college tours. Unless she is a recruited athlete going to meet coaches who can guarantee an admission (or something similar), or she is contemplating doing a binding early admission application somewhere, the "vanity college tours" are a waste of time. Esp. for students like your daughter, who I recall has high academic numbers.
We are doing the tour because environment is important to my daughter. It's rather "sterile" around here.

If it were just about going to a school where she gets a good education she could stay home and commute to SMU.

She wants a bit more out of her college experience and you really have to see it first hand.

Last summer we visited Rice, it was on her top 3 wish list.

After the tour, it was not even under consideration.
Old 10-10-2017, 04:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Lots of other ways to skin the cat. I refuse to join. They are too left leaning for my taste.
Old 10-10-2017, 04:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halm View Post
Lots of other ways to skin the cat. I refuse to join. They are too left leaning for my taste.
^^^^^THIS^^^^^
For me at least, + the junk mail, spam mail, etc..
Old 10-10-2017, 05:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Actual Porsche owner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halm View Post
Ha! Just the opposite here. I save a few bucks on health insurance through them, but I also joined AARP because I agree with most of their lobbying efforts.
Old 10-10-2017, 06:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

least common denominator

I routinely throw out their mailers.
Wife is a coupon queen so she signed me up.
Watching this thread to see if there is any value in it.
Old 10-10-2017, 07:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Free Exams All November!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stomachmonkey View Post
We are doing the tour because environment is important to my daughter. It's rather "sterile" around here.

If it were just about going to a school where she gets a good education she could stay home and commute to SMU.

She wants a bit more out of her college experience and you really have to see it first hand.

Last summer we visited Rice, it was on her top 3 wish list.

After the tour, it was not even under consideration.
That's what everyone wants.
But an application costs $75, and most schools are on the common app these days.
Just apply to all that she is considering, see where she gets in and does not get it, then go and visit in the spring. There's plenty of time.
This is especially true for high academic numbers students. Because no matter who you are, at the very top schools (e.g., schools that have an admissions rate of 15-20% or less) admissions is very unpredictable. And the schools applied to are going to be the "usual suspects" anyways. So pre-admissions visits don't do all that much.
I think you'll find that once she has actual admissions in hand, 80%+ of the schools she visited will have been a waste of time.
Finally, visits can be helpful, but also can give very bad data. I've seen many crazy decisions made on the basis of things that happened on a visit. The weather was bad that day. The student volunteer tour guide was bad. Etc.

Last edited by McLovin; 10-10-2017 at 09:20 AM..
Old 10-10-2017, 09:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: