Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Send a message via AIM to vash
I got permission to shoot on private property!

Whoa. I just asked and the dude said yes. Itís a family ranch that has an old quarry on it.

I am finally gonna sight in my new .22 rifle. I gathered several different ammo types to try.

You should see the only gun range we have nearby. $15 for the worst rifle range ever. One section uses old pallets for target racks. Being the only range, itís crowded beyond comprehension. Itís the worst thing about living in CA for me. The crappy shooting situation. I could drive 2.5 hours to a free public spot, but Iím told itís like the O-K corral; lawless

I hope the gun groups.
Old 01-13-2018, 08:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

It's a shame you can't come to NZ for a shoot. Here (sometimes) the farmers pay for the ammo for you to shoot rabbits, hares (jackrabbits) and wallabies.

We have deer, pigs and all sorts of things LOL in the mountains that are free to hunt for.
Old 01-13-2018, 09:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

You've always got an invitation here Vash...you just can't shoot my Bambis and other critters though ! Glad you've sourced a place....score!
Old 01-14-2018, 03:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Hey Cliff....

Caldwell Magnum Deadshot Fieldpod

Hint, hint....

Awesome thingy it is....
Old 01-14-2018, 04:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I really enjoy my gun range on my own property. It's about 500' off the road, and down a hill, so not many people even know it's there. I have 25/50/75/100 yards measured off with a creek/treeline as a back drop. We have a large industrial machine pallet on end, with many different targets attached to it. We have shot almost every caliber back there including multiple rounds through a Barrett BMG 50 sniper rifle, several automatics, and too many handguns to count.
Old 01-14-2018, 06:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
A Secret Place

Very cool.

Even though I know you won't, one word of advice: Do not over use/abuse the privilege.

I have my own pistol and rifle range and here are my rules for allowing others to use it:

Always call first. Take no for an answer.
Ask if the land owner wants to shoot as well.
If he or she does, ask what they are going to shoot and buy a box of ammo for the owner.
No more that a hour at a time unless you are with the land owner.
Police all brass and targets.
Go nuts on glasses, hearing protection, etc.
If their will be more than one person shooting, learn how to be a range master and follow those rules - call on and off the range, range hot, etc.

I know that all sounds so basic as to be offensive, but it is not. You would be surprised!

Best and there is nothing better than shooting outside. Nothing compares.

Water of Love.
Old 01-14-2018, 07:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Agreed, the range master has to be the one in charge. I have no problem with multiple shooters, but only one person firing at a time to different targets. Anyone ready to pull the trigger needs to yell "firing" and give others a chance for ear protection after a log pause.
Old 01-14-2018, 12:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

They call me the Lone Ranger

Seriously....I don't like shooting with others...never have.
Old 01-14-2018, 12:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Did you get the memo?

Agreed with Paul, nothing is better than shooting outside. Makes going to the range really suck. Enjoy!
Old 01-14-2018, 12:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Cars & Coffee Killer

I pretty much have to shoot my .510 on private property as the closest commercial range that will let me use it is a state over and 3 hours away.

"There is freedom in risk, just as there is oppression in security."
Old 01-14-2018, 12:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Groucho Marxist

Garage
I have never discharged a firearm anywhere but outside.

Francis Bacon
Old 01-14-2018, 06:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobra View Post
I have never discharged a firearm anywhere but outside.
Me either . Now I gotta go see what a .510 is though....
Old 01-14-2018, 06:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

A common courtesy we pay the landowner is to arrive and say what you are doing and give them a bottle of alcohol as a thanks. this way they are always pleased to see you.
Old 01-14-2018, 07:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
I put a serious dent in my .22 ammo inventory

My rifle shoots any of the 40gr bullets really well. The 32gr CCI Stingers were nowhere as accurate. In general, I have 0.5Ē grouping gun @ 50 yards. At 25, I can spell my name in bullet holes.

I picked up all my spent brass, and tidied up. Today he asked me to help out with his coyote situation. Hehe.

This is gonna be great. Iíll develope a dope card for my air rifle soon on his ranch.

Next week hopefully, Iíll be exploring the Mohave desert with my new pea shooter.
Old 01-14-2018, 08:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Now in 993 land ...

Garage
Whatcha doing in the Mojave?

I am jealous. I have an overcrowded range in town, waiting for lines to then have yahoos shooting next to me, I don't even dare bringing my kids. I hear one range close by has closed, now those people all pile in as well.

When I was in LA I could get onto some unposted desert land in under and hour that was fit for handgun shooting. And even in the National Forest they had the borough canyon range that was good with 200 yard range. Really miss that. Now whenever I go on camping trips with the family, we take the guns and shoot in the forest when we can.

G
Old 01-14-2018, 08:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by aigel View Post
Whatcha doing in the Mojave?

G
Camping and chasing small game with a couple of friends. Iíve never been to the Mohave. My two buds know he place well.
Old 01-14-2018, 08:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Now in 993 land ...

Garage
I wish I could join you. Don't kick over the jackrabbit. Take it home - slow cook it! It is my favorite meat in the crock pot!

Have fun!

G
Old 01-14-2018, 09:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: