Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Back in the saddle again

I remember flying FSII on my Commodore 64

I think things are a little different today.

I think I may have done a little in my first IBM compatible PC days, but nothing super serious. I'd enjoy it, but it's so darn time consuming.

'08 Boxster RS60 Spyder #0099/1960
- never named a car before, but this is Charlotte.
'88 targa SOLD 2004 - gone but not forgotten
Old 01-20-2020, 08:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #41 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by john70t View Post
Aces High looks like a lot of fun.
-Is it 64bit?
-Does game play require a microphone, or are there sufficient com menus for coordination?
-Is it player vs player or is AI involved? Is AI any good?

I used to play the original Il-2 quite a bit on the Win7 computer..before Win10 killed that off plus all my other games.
(GPL, Legends of Grand Prix, OFP Resistance, etc) .
Do not have to have a microphone, great vox box: team, area in, squad channels and PM.
It is a multiplayer environment, team based play. Warning, you will need a joy stick, flying with a mouse and keyboard are almost impossible. Download is free, 2 weeks free, then $15.00 a month. For cartoon planes, a great WW2 combat flight sim.

A couple of screen shots and a in game video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mi8jAz13ZBw
Old 01-20-2020, 12:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #42 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by id10t View Post
No IFF ping?
Nope. At least not at that range. You paint someone, then ask on the friendly channel if you are painting anyone.

masraum, that is what I started on as well.

"Don't get so caught up in your right to dissent that you forget your obligation to contribute." Mrs. James to her son Chappie.
Old 01-20-2020, 12:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #43 (permalink)

Garage
Warthunder is supposed to be good for a combat sim as well. Free through Steam. I have it, but haven't tried it yet.

We like Wings Over Europe since we can control the server.

"Don't get so caught up in your right to dissent that you forget your obligation to contribute." Mrs. James to her son Chappie.
Old 01-20-2020, 12:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #44 (permalink)
You do not have permissi

My thoughts of the difference between a 'sim' and a 'video game' is the level of immersion. Obviously that is a fine line and is different for most people. I've flown planes that feel like a game but in a sim world. I've also played fps games that briefly feel like sims. A sim will retain a fun factor even without some external challenge or contest. It is good enough on it's own. Only recently have hardware and programs become so good as to begin to mimic reality in 2D, even without other sensory inputs.

And this is just the start of it all..

Someday auto repair manuals will become step-by-step visualizations of taking apart a 3D models.
Travel will be available virtually.
Go in amongst football player on the line and feel the crunches using focused sonic skin disrupters. Rewind and watch the play from a different perspective in full slo-mo control. Who did what and why. What could they see from that angle? You are in the game instead of watching moving blobs on a screen.
Art and CAD will be create-able in the ether with motion and thought sensors.
So many things will be possible in the upcoming virtual experience.
(sorry I'm repeating myself here, but am fascinated by what many humans now have access to.)

I once went up on a B-17 flight with dad, but now can 'fly' one of them. Felt familiar. Just wow.

Last edited by john70t; 01-20-2020 at 02:52 PM..
Old 01-20-2020, 02:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #45 (permalink)
You do not have permissi

There are some very talented individuals involved in flight sims:

EzDock camera plus air effects is made by some lone genius in Russia.
Drzewiecki Design massive cities and airports is made by some lone genius in Poland.
Here is Seattle again with buffeting rain and winds.

MegaSceneryEarth(also owns PCAviator) creates huge photoscenery at affordable prices, as well as disk defrag and virtual memory management, and is our own lone homegrown genius.
Here is Kauai where we took a helicopter tour.

Last edited by john70t; 01-20-2020 at 03:29 PM..
Old 01-20-2020, 03:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #46 (permalink)

Garage
I purchased Prepar3d about 3 years ago. I have been quite happy with it but agreed, more limited. Some of the MSFS planes work, some don't a bit of a crapshoot. I used MSFS for years (since 1997 through 2015. My latest computer wouldn't take the software...too buggy so I switched to Prepar3d. Weird though, it was like they didn't want me to buy the software. But they were really good about helping me move the software to my new computer.

I use Prepar3d to keep "relatively" current flying as I am a pilot but don't fly much at all. I can't get out much and I find it helps me keep some of the skills. Nothing beats real flying but you take what you can get. Plus, it really helped out tremendously when switching to glass cockpits. saved $$$$ money not learning the instruments while in the plane (both Cessna 162 and 172s).

I currently have logitech controls. HUGE upgrade on the sidewinder joysticks I was using. Plus, I now have 3 monitors to give me instruments, and better outside view. Starting to think about getting a VR display now. hmmm.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-technical-forum/664950-1976-911s-garage-find-road.html
Old 01-20-2020, 08:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #47 (permalink)
Back in the saddle again

Quote:
Originally Posted by john70t View Post
My thoughts of the difference between a 'sim' and a 'video game' is the level of immersion. Obviously that is a fine line and is different for most people. I've flown planes that feel like a game but in a sim world. I've also played fps games that briefly feel like sims. A sim will retain a fun factor even without some external challenge or contest. It is good enough on it's own. Only recently have hardware and programs become so good as to begin to mimic reality in 2D, even without other sensory inputs.

And this is just the start of it all..

Someday auto repair manuals will become step-by-step visualizations of taking apart a 3D models.
Travel will be available virtually.
Go in amongst football player on the line and feel the crunches using focused sonic skin disrupters. Rewind and watch the play from a different perspective in full slo-mo control. Who did what and why. What could they see from that angle? You are in the game instead of watching moving blobs on a screen.
Art and CAD will be create-able in the ether with motion and thought sensors.
So many things will be possible in the upcoming virtual experience.
(sorry I'm repeating myself here, but am fascinated by what many humans now have access to.)
And the funny/sad thing is that all of that tech is probably going to be applied to sex before the rest of that, VR glasses and a bluetooth fleshlight.

'08 Boxster RS60 Spyder #0099/1960
- never named a car before, but this is Charlotte.
'88 targa SOLD 2004 - gone but not forgotten
Old 01-21-2020, 05:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #48 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: