Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Paint, Bodywork & Detailing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

spray order? what sequence do I use to get the best finish?

Well there it is, I have the unibody painted as well as the undersides of the hoods. What is the best way to spray this car base/clear? Should I mount all the pieces and spray or do the hoods/doors/bumpers/rockers separately?

How do you all go about it? I am using a custom color with racing stripe and circles on the doors(all base coat).

Here she is.... http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=72941&hl
2005 Scion XB "Gas sipping"
1978 Siedelmann S25 "Ataraxia"
Old 02-13-2008, 08:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Champagne on Beer Budget

Garage
Wow...from the looks of the photos on the website you posted that is going to be a sick ride.

I would say that you would want to paint all the parts seperate in the base green then re-assemble the parts to tape off the stripe and then spray it.

I'm no painter, but thats the way I see it done on TLC & discovery channel 8)

Keep us posted.

www.einarsgarage.com
Instagram @einars_garage
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Einars-Garage/375533809160797
Old 02-14-2008, 08:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelmetHead View Post
I would say that you would want to paint all the parts separate in the base green then re-assemble the parts to tape off the stripe and then spray it.

I'm no painter, but thats the way I see it done on TLC & discovery channel 8)
I wonder what the school of thought is for painting everything separate. I'd be afraid of two things... the finish and the color. It wouldn't be too bad if it's a straight shade color but a metallic would present trouble.
I'm sure some others will chime in. I don't want to make a recommendation as I'm not a pro either.
Old 02-17-2008, 05:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Well I am no pro either with only 3 cars under my belt BUT I know this I will have to keep parts off to get the misc pieces the right color in those hard to reach areas. Now when it comes time to spray the base on the exterior and of course the stripe I am only able to do it as one peice. I just didnt know as to wether or not the "pro's" had a prefered way?
2005 Scion XB "Gas sipping"
1978 Siedelmann S25 "Ataraxia"
Old 02-17-2008, 05:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Painting all pieces separated is a good way to get a good finish in the hard to reach places.

As for the pros that I know , each has their own way to do it, so it is more what works for you.

If you use the paint from the same can and are consistent with your gun setting, there should be no problem with the color, solid or metallic, good quality paints are very user friendly, I always paint with all parts off.
Joseph Toliva, guy who signs my check
Old 02-18-2008, 06:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: