Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Paint, Bodywork & Detailing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Help me decide how to fix this rust.

There are a few rust issues I want to tackle on my '66. To start, the drip rail around the trunk is perforated. Now, the rail itself is separate from the fender, correct? So when you look at this photo, do you see fender and drip rail damage? Assuming this spot is the worst. How would you go about repairing this? Also the drip rail that runs across the back of the trunk (right in front of the windshield) is gone. I have a donor car that has the rails in good shape. Could they be transplanted? If I remove the fenders, how tough is it to re-align them?
1966 912 Red/Black
1963 356B --sold--
Old 05-14-2008, 08:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Carmagic.us

Check out this, go to the bottom of the thread.

Project has finally started '71 911T

Here are more pictures

http://muelhaupt.us/911-3.html

If you can cut out the complete pieces from an other car, that's great, I have to fabricate all pieces.

I also had to replace the piece where the fender is mounted

Good luck with your project

Engelbert

http://carmagic.us
Old 05-15-2008, 12:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Turns out that most all of the damage is actually on the fenders. Other than the one across the back of the trunk, the rails are very solid. The lips of the fenders are some what perforated. Luckily, all of the damage is below hood level. Should be fairly easy to remedy. Thanks for the link, very,very informative.
1966 912 Red/Black
1963 356B --sold--
Old 05-17-2008, 08:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

dean,
repairing that trunk channel could be tricky if you're planning on fabricating it yourself.
lots of compound curves. better to source a rust free donor cowl, they're out there.
here's a link that details replacement process.
http://www.hillmanimages.com/912/cowl_resto.html
Old 05-18-2008, 05:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to JP Noonan
I could be seeing things wrong from the photo, or just having flashback from my 912e, but...

It looks like fiber(hell in a can)glass in the upper passenger side trunk cowl area, also I would remove you fresh air grill to have a look see.
Old 05-28-2008, 09:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Stoddard sells a patch for the trunk seal channel. I bought one but have yet to install it so I cannot comment on the fit. Judging from other aftermarket sheet metal parts, I am sure I will have to do some adjusting.

Good luck
'73 911T Targa Signal Yellow
'78 911SC backdate
Old 05-28-2008, 10:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Yes, the fiberglass has been removed. I'll post pictures soon of what I have done. I have removed what was left of the channel and replaced it with a channel from my donor car. Took a lot of trimming and test fitting but it has worked out beautifully.
1966 912 Red/Black
1963 356B --sold--
Old 05-29-2008, 06:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: