Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Paint, Bodywork & Detailing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Adding Mounting Tabs to FG Bumper?

Good Morning Peeps,

I Am trying to mount an IROC bummer on a 88 C. I removed all bumper shocks everything from the stock one. I am trying to add FG, wood or metal brackets/mounting tabs to the inside of bumper so i can secure it to the chassis . ( it screws to the fenders but this is not enough support)

how do i add these as in the picture from Byron below??. ( i do not want to drill and bolt thru the fender of course).

should i just glue on with some industrial adhesive then slather it with FG resin and FG mesh over it? I have little experience in FG work.

This is largely a track car. There is a front setrab cooler but it is mounted to the chassis so there is no weight hanging on the bumper. But i suspect at tracke .speeds with a spiltter, there is a significant amount of stress on this bumper hence i would like to secure it well.

i have seen some threads where they replace the bumper shock with a piece of square aluminum, then add an aluminum tab to the inside bumper which it can bolt to. but how do you get this aluminum tab FGlassed into the bumper!!??

THANKS VERY MUCH any help greatly appreciated from the pelican brain trust.

Frank

rauscher@wistar.org

Old 03-26-2013, 04:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
I make it like this:

A few layers of fg (twill not that cheap fleece), then a triangled core and some more layers on top, I would say about ten in total are enogh depending on the wide. Let's say on each side 10cm along the bracket. the more the better. The cores adds much more stability, so if possible, add some

930 Turbo '81 Too many modifications to list

Last edited by proffighter; 03-26-2013 at 05:34 AM..
Old 03-26-2013, 05:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Like this:

best is of course when you make it along the whole bracket...

Old 03-26-2013, 05:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks Roland what material do you us for the bracket and triangle core? fg? metal? wood?
also, for each sheet of twill/matt, do you just soak it in the activated resin then layer it on? can you do all layers at once or must you let dry between layers?

thanks very much frank
Old 03-26-2013, 05:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Tired Member

Garage
Take a look at this installation:

Well here she is -
Support vehicle - '00 Suburban 2500 4x4
Son's - '85.1 944
Old 03-26-2013, 06:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
fantastic jeremy exactly what i woulfd like to do.. what was tube made out of, did you fasten it to a plate before FGlassing it onto the bumper? I see that the bumper shock replacment is just steel tubing, correct? did you also clam or somehow fis the fglass tube onto the steel tube? thanks frank
Old 03-26-2013, 06:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
There you can download (it's in english too) a "Handbuch", very good source for all infos around fg:

suter swiss.composite group

Core can be made out of wood, or foam (the blue one is resistant to epoxy)

Old 03-26-2013, 06:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Tired Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geneman View Post
fantastic jeremy exactly what i woulfd like to do.. what was tube made out of, did you fasten it to a plate before FGlassing it onto the bumper? I see that the bumper shock replacment is just steel tubing, correct? did you also clam or somehow fis the fglass tube onto the steel tube? thanks frank
I'm Glenn. You might want to shoot JeremyD a PM. He's a good guy and very willing to share his tricks.

If I remember correctly, the tubes are modified crush tubes used to mount bumpers on RoW cars.
Support vehicle - '00 Suburban 2500 4x4
Son's - '85.1 944
Old 03-26-2013, 11:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: