Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Paint, Bodywork & Detailing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Question installing sound proofing and carpet

I am installing hushmat and a set of original carpets into my '69 911. I have the carpet out now and there is original sound deadening material and lots of glue from the prior aftermarket installation. Will it make a difference if I simply cover the original sound deadening material and move on or should I go to the metal for the hushmat?
Old 04-08-2013, 05:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I don't think you'd get the proper dampening if you installed the mat over the padding. It needs to be fixed to the metal to absorb the vibrations.

Mike
restoration: mk911.blogspot.com
Old 04-09-2013, 12:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Thanks! That was what I was looking for. Had not thought that through. I'm after it....
Old 04-09-2013, 06:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Bird. It's the word...

Garage
I agree with Mike. I think you're better off starting with a clean install. I used Dynamat Extreme in my resto, but not over 'everything'... just the large flat areas of the tub that tend to drum. Do the roof as well if you have access. You can then use the various 'pads' over the top.
Old 04-09-2013, 10:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Thanks for the feed back. Finally finished. I was able to cover almost the entire interior (below the roof liner which was replaced a couple of years ago) and although I cannot really say it made that much difference, I am glad I did the complete interior as I found some surface rust in the back panel that needed to be attended to. The carpet looks much better, though.
Old 07-30-2013, 08:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Uncertifiable!!!

Garage
rm, I am going to do my interior on my build this winter so I am wondering whose carpet you used and whether you are happy which the quality and fit.

[QUOTE=Fishcop. You can then use the various 'pads' over the top.[/QUOTE]

Fishcop, what do you mean with using various 'pads'?

Cheers.....
Old 07-31-2013, 09:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

dkbautosports.com

about a year ago we started to use the lizard skin products .
there are so many pluses to it over the old type hush mat and dyna mat type products .
cost is the biggest one then there is ease of application , weight to the product , removing it for a repair ,
they also offer a heat coating that also works great . if you use the two products together then your cars interior is quiet and cooler .
Old 07-31-2013, 11:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

I had a good set of original carpets out of a nice '73.
Old 07-31-2013, 05:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Uncertifiable!!!

Garage
962, maximum reduction in interior noise is an important factor in my current build. If cost of material and labor was NOT a factor, which sound deadening product would you recommend for a 911?
Old 08-03-2013, 05:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Taking it apart is easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 962porsche View Post
about a year ago we started to use the lizard skin products .
there are so many pluses to it over the old type hush mat and dyna mat type products .
cost is the biggest one then there is ease of application , weight to the product , removing it for a repair ,
they also offer a heat coating that also works great . if you use the two products together then your cars interior is quiet and cooler .
Do you have quantification of the sound and heat reductions?

PLEASE CHECK MY QUIZZICAL BLOG: www.ponderingporsches.blogspot.com
Old 08-08-2013, 07:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

we just used the lizerd skin last week on a 1937 ford pick up we built the heat on the floor boards and in side of the bed floor were so hot that the owners doughter could not sit in the bed as they did the cruise in a car show and the owners feet would get so hot on the floor boards he had to put down 4 floor mats just to drive the thing . this past week end they did another cruise night with the lizerd skin on the floors and every thing was fine .

so does it work hell yes ! i have used it on my porsche 948 race car because that floor was also getting very hot in a race it would cook your feet in a race . no more hot feet for me .

i'm sure if you try it you will like the stuff . it has no real weight to it so you not adding a extra 100 lbs to your car .
Old 08-08-2013, 08:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: