Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Paint, Bodywork & Detailing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Question 930 tail rubber reconditioning help

Is there anything I can re-coat or treat my tail rubber with that will keep it black? I have the tail disassembled right now and before I put it all back together again, I figured it would be a good time to do something with the rubber.

I know they make a vinyl paint, but will this work? Or is there a treatment I can use to darken it up?

Thanks in advance

Brendon
Old 07-28-2013, 08:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

we have painted some in different colors along with black and they will look ok and last if you do it the right way . how ever they still look painted when you look close at them .

the other way you could go is to do the petroleum jelly trick .
but that depends on just how bad the rubber is to how will it works .
i have brought some pretty bad looking ones back from the dead and it tends to last so you sould only have to do the jely trick once or twice a year .

so just how bad is it ?
any cracks yet ?
Old 07-28-2013, 08:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

No cracks or tearing. Just looks a bit dry and faded.
Old 07-28-2013, 09:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

When I bought the car I cleaned it real well, and loaded it up with a heavy coat of armoral to get some moisture back in it. Not after a year or so of sitting inside it has dried and faded a bit.
Old 07-28-2013, 09:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
non-whiner

Gummi Pflege from our host:

Porsche 911 & Carrera Seals & Weatherstripping - Page 1

I used it on the tail, stone guards, smile, and other rubber trim of my 930 and it made even the faded gray looking rubber black again.
Old 07-28-2013, 09:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

over the years of dealing with that type of rubber on porsches , MGB big bumper cars and others like it i found jelly works best .

this is also the best way we have found to bring it back from the dead .
when the part is cool you coat it good with jelly ( PJ ) i'm talking a heavy coat !
then on a very hot day or with a heat lamp you want to get the part hot up to 190 degrees or so is great 140 or so will also do .
let the PJ soak in good for as long as it can you may find it soaks up the 1st coat in 2 to 4 hours . if so let it cool back down and recoat . but you want to bake it in the sun or heat for hours . at the end of the day whenthe sun goes down wipe off the PJ . you may need to repeat applying the PJ once or twice more if the part has turned that chalky white .
once your finily happy with it wipe the part down good with a clean rag and your finished .
Old 07-28-2013, 11:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Sounds like a great plan... I am off to buy some PJ!!
Old 07-28-2013, 11:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

I robed the baby cabinet for some vasoline. I feel like I need to buy my wing breakfast after rubbing it down. haha...

I will post up some results tomorrow after I let it bake in the sun all day.
Old 07-29-2013, 04:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

it not just for butts any more !
Old 07-29-2013, 04:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Just got home from work and there was a puddle of liquified jelly on my work bench.. A quick wipe down and a second coat is on before it cools down for the night. So far so good.
Old 07-30-2013, 01:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

let it cool then wipe the part down . by doing it that way the PJ stays in the pores of the rubber .
Old 07-30-2013, 04:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

The tail came out great but no light in the shop to take good pics tonight. I reassembled the tail and got the deck and tail mounted to the car. Looks great, but I have one question... how do I get the finger prints off of my satin matte paint? Looks like I am going to do some research into caring for a flat painted car.
Old 07-30-2013, 05:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

dkbautosports.com

there is nothing you can do but repaint it and hope you only have to just respray the clear .
i seam to be having a run with the BMW frozen finishes for the last 5 months now with doing 11 of them before that we only would get about 3 a year .
if you look up the care for them you will find out just what you can do with yours . NOTHING !
we did one last week the owner thought it would be ok to wax it with one of the once a year car waxes .
you can't wet sand and buff it .
you can't polish it .
you can't wax it .
you can't use a sealer on it .
and there is only a hand full of soaps you really should use to wash it .
Old 07-30-2013, 06:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

I have been using Mcguire's Back to Black. PJ didn't seem to last as long
Old 07-30-2013, 08:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

you have to go thru the steps as i stated if your want long lasting results with PJ .
back to black will wash off out in the weather with in 2 weeks were PJ will not .
so far this year i have been driving my 944S every day and the car has been sitting out side even in the rain . it gets washed once or twice a week and the kid that just washes the cars at my shop has been using back to black on the spoiler and after a week plus it looks like crap again . 7 weeks ago i told him to use PJ on it and by the steps i stated .
it's been washed 8 or 9 time sense then and the spoiler still looks new .
if you don't heat up the rubber the PJ will not soak into it and it too will wash off in no time .
Old 07-31-2013, 08:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Retired Member

It worked for me. I started a thread with pictures in the 911 tech forum.
Old 08-01-2013, 07:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

The chalkiness is from my hands and from the install

Old 08-03-2013, 08:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Registerd 930 user nut

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmcclelland View Post
I have been using Mcguire's Back to Black. PJ didn't seem to last as long
Back to Black works very well.
Old 08-03-2013, 09:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: