Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Paint, Bodywork & Detailing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Applying Eastwood's Rust Encapsulator? Experience?

I just applied Eastwood Rust Encapsulator to on piece of my engine tin... used a brush. Poured easily out of the can and into a cup. As I brushed it on it got thicker and thicker.... looked terrible. Now I gotta strip the piece again. It was about 52 degrees outside.

Anyone have experience brushing on rust encapsulator? Does it go on smooth enough and self leveling enough to be applied with a brush? I've used POR 15 and it's always worked well. Not too happy with this product right now... I might have wasted my money trying something different....
Old 10-19-2013, 08:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
non-whiner

I've used it many times with no issues. Never experienced your problem.
Old 10-19-2013, 08:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I used a lot of Rust Encapsulator on my restoration, but only by spray, not by brush. If you've got a decent compressor, you can get a $20-30 spray gun that will do the job pretty nicely. It's only about 5 years later, but it's holding up well for me.

Mike
restoration: mk911.blogspot.com
Old 10-20-2013, 06:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Rust encapsulator doesnt level out, POR does. But, rust encapsulator is paintable, POR isn't.

Honestly, rustoleum seems to work just as well, as long as its isn't something you intend to paint...
Old 10-22-2013, 08:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: