Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Paint, Bodywork & Detailing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
The Mighty Pieholio

Garage
Faster Masking

Masking off the hood of 2005 Mustang by hand for paint. Industrial garage strip "mall" floor and house painter guy 2 doors down walks over and says "What the eff are you doing?" I say, "I'm maxin' off the car snoop dog, I'm a semi-proooo-fessional".

He says "You're a chaod" (friend, mind you) Comes back with a hand apparatus tape applier thingie made by 3M.

Finishes masking job in about 3 minutes.

Bought one. 3M M3000 dispenser. About $50 with the extension thingie for 12" rolls.

Sweet.

Last edited by Bob Kontak; 07-01-2014 at 05:33 PM..
Old 07-01-2014, 05:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

the problem with that is the paper and tape is not made for auto finishes . the paper will tend to get bleed thru and the blue tape does not like solvent based products . it tends to brake down the adhesive of the tape leaving it behind when you peal the masking off .
they have products like this for automotive applications with automotive based paper and tape .
check out USC 38081 there like 10 dollars for a 7" by 65' roll with despencer if you buy the replacement rolls they are even cheaper about 8 dollars for just the roll . 7" is a good size for jams as not to bunch up the paper in the jams .
Old 07-01-2014, 11:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
The Mighty Pieholio

Garage
That's all the paper the house painting store had. I was so damned happy to get some speed that I wanted to post the pic.

I did check out the USC product. That kit looks cool. Way more manageable for the work interface.

Odd thing is that the two auto paint jobbers I frequent don't have any dispenser type products.

Is the yellow tape better? Oh Jeebus, it says 3M Automotive Refinish Masking Tape in the bore.

So if I ditch the brown paper and get the 12" roll at the jobber would I be better set up. I have to think so.

Thanks for the tip on the narrow USC product. That would be fast and way more manageable.
Old 07-03-2014, 07:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

you could once your use up the paper and tape that comes with that change to automotive grade products .
most shops use the masking machines that hold many different sizes of paper on one masking machine . I have two of them in the paint shop so you can move then next to were your working .
the guys in the body shop used the handy masks allot for masking to spray weld thru primer because they could just keep it on the tool boxes and not have to look around for the masking machine that is for the body shop side to find most of the time it's out of paper or tape because the last guy to use it was to lazy to replace what he used up .
I use the handy masks in my airbushing shop that's in Hamden all the time . in the booth I have a wall mounted masking machine there but because there is very little over spray with airbrushing the handy mask works great for that .
Old 07-04-2014, 06:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: