Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Paint, Bodywork & Detailing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Carmagic.us

Black Undercoat Removal

I'm in the process to get my 70 911T ready for Painting, and the car has a layer of this ugly black undercoat in the wheel wells and underbody. Somebody sprayed it over the original factory coating. Is there a good efficient way to get it off ?

Whatever I try it also damaged the factory coating.

Thanks for any input on that.
Engelbert
Old 07-29-2015, 07:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Did you try a heat gun? Just a thought
Old 07-29-2015, 11:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Carmagic.us

With heat I also destroy the factory coating.

Thanks for the input
Engelbert
Old 07-29-2015, 07:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Try WD-40, let soak and wipe it off.
Old 07-30-2015, 03:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

your looking at allot of work no matter what method you pick .
that crap is not made for cars that's why NO auto maker uses it .

we use RM 900 in a pump up sprayer and soak the crap out of the area were it is .
wipe off with lots and lots of clean paper towels .
lay plastic sheeting under the car so you don't make a total mess of the ground / floor .

if the hole underside and wheel houses are done you will go thru about 2 Gal. of preclean-o /900 .

on some cars when some dumb ass coated the hell out of the car with that crap we just remove all the chip guard right down to bare metal and start again .
it's 3 days labor to try and remove just the undercoating or a days labor to just remove the undercoating with the chip guard to bare then re chip guard every thing .

one problem is some times the black undercoating will stain the chip guard so even after you remove it the chip guard still will not have the OE look it should .
Old 07-30-2015, 12:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Carmagic.us

Hi 962porsche,

Looks like just thinking about this stuff makes you mad. I feel the same way.

Thank you for your input.
Engelbert
Old 07-31-2015, 04:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

dkbautosports.com

it sure in the hell does !
people have no idea what a PITA that crap is like to remove . the worse part is it does nothing at all .
it offers no extra protection . it never drys and if you get solvent on it then it just makes a mess .

if this is your 1st go around with it then think about dealing with countless cars I have had to deal with that crap on it .
Old 07-31-2015, 04:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Even a Bad day is good

Garage
Just did this

Horrible job. Had fenders bead blasted. Diesel fuel helped. Then wire cup brushes. Time consuming and dirty
Old 08-02-2015, 02:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Carmagic.us

I could not find where to buy the RM 900. However, I got a good tip about using Kerosine. Which I had already at home. It works but slow, however, that's better than anything else I have tried.

Here are a few sections I cleaned up. I sprayed it on with a spray bottle, and then used a brush to loosen it up, and wiped it off with rags. I put a plastic on the floor and some oil try on it.

It looks like the factory chip guard is light gray.

Thanks for all the tips.

Cheers
Engelbert
Old 08-05-2015, 04:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

all you need is a product that breaks down tar as that is what it is .
the fun is getting out from inside the texture of the chip guard .
Old 08-05-2015, 07:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 962porsche View Post
all you need is a product that breaks down tar as that is what it is .
the fun is getting out from inside the texture of the chip guard .
Pressure washer will do it
Old 08-05-2015, 09:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Wer bremst verliert

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo owner View Post
Pressure washer will do it
Yes, this. With a bit of pressurewasher degreaser. Hook up to your hot water for extra quick cleaning. Just did this Monday.
1978 911 3.0 Lichtbau toy "Gretchen"
1971 911 Targa S backroad toy
Old 08-06-2015, 04:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

dkbautosports.com

only to a point will a pressure washer remove it . we clean the hell out of the tar with 900 then soak every thing again and power wash it as the last step . but more often then not there will still be some of that crap left in the nooks and crannies .
no matter what you do it's a sucky job removing that crap .
Old 08-06-2015, 05:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnJL View Post
Yes, this. With a bit of pressurewasher degreaser. Hook up to your hot water for extra quick cleaning. Just did this Monday.
Dawn dish soap does a great job for final clean up, mix strong in a spray bottle to apply. Scrub brush it first then wash, repeat as necessary.
Old 08-06-2015, 09:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Try Eastwood,s "UNDERGONE" in the aeosol cans-works great.
Old 09-09-2015, 03:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Carmagic.us

OK, I get most of this stuff off.

Here is partial success

That was is still left, is like over spray paint.

Whoever worked on that car and installed a new front suspension pan, sprayed that black stuff just over the blank metal.

Same thing for the door past replacement

Here is the thread of my project.

My 1970 911T project

Cheers
Engelbert
Old 09-19-2015, 12:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
Glad you took all that stuff off to see what was underneath. Now you can do it correctly and sleep better at night knowing it was done right. Good work.
1971 914-6 #0372
2016 Audi S3 DD
Old 09-19-2015, 02:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: