Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Paint, Bodywork & Detailing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via AIM to Adidas
Turbine HVLP Paint System questions

Anyone here on the board ever used one of the newer Turbine HVLP paint spray systems to paint their car. Considering buying but need input along with recommendations on best systems to consider. I've painted my own cars in the past with conventional air compressor systems but have heard several people talking about these newer systems. Any info? Thanks Bill
Old 08-17-2016, 04:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

sorry i don't have a new one mine is over 25 years old .
i will have to say i used it with very good results . from time to time i still use it i painted a 26' car trailer with it this spring for a friends in his warehouse as the trailer couldn't be moved with out axles .
sprayed limco 3 single stage out of it used a 1.3 tip ( it also has a 1.6) laid down like glass other then spraying in open air getting some dust in the job it looks great .

side note .
last year i bought all the equipment for doing vinyl graphics and wraps i wanted to wrap the trailer but he wanted it to match his tow rig's color and vinyl can't do that .
i did do all the lettering and graphics in vinyl so it does hide the few big dust nugs that was in the finish .
Old 08-18-2016, 06:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Occasional User

Adidas - I have been thinking about painting DIY job - I came across this article. I was looking at the fuji sprayer. Not sure if anyone has experience with any of the makes shown

http://www.fujispray.com/Fine%20Woodworking%20Article%20-%20SprayforLess%202014
2009 Cayman S White, Full Cocoa - sold
1972 911E Silver Coupe, Pepita & Black - sold
Old 08-19-2016, 01:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I found threads on another site where people reported excellent results spraying glasurit. I've considered this route myself because a compressor takes up so much space.

Note that I have not tried it. Here's what I've found:

Air comes out warm and dry
Operates on 110
Extremely small units
Four stage turbine is recommended
More reducer is suggested
Loud
Is basically a vacuum cleaner motor (you can make your own housing)
Spray at a distance of 4-8 inches
Uses much less paint due to less overspray

The only reason I haven't invested in this is a compressor will run a blast cabinet and that might be really nice.
Old 08-25-2016, 08:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
I was strongly considering one of the Fuji turbines for painting - seems a great way to paint at home with less overspray and without an elaborate moisture-control system with a compressor. In the end, I decided to stick with a compressor-based HVLP gun, because I needed a larger compressor for bodywork/blasting anyway. I also found a lot more online help pertaining to compressor guns rather than turbine guns (for example, all the tech sheets seem to be set up for traditional HVLP guns). The downside is implementing a solid moisture control system, but I figure the compressor is something I'll use for many years to come, so I'll want to preserve my tools anyway.
Old 08-25-2016, 10:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Location: Placerville, CA.... You know, the only place on Highway 50 between Sacramento and Lake Tahoe the you find signal lights. Above the fog most of the time and I can see the stars of the Milky Way 8 out of 10 nights. Kinda cool.....
Garage
Turbine HVLP Paint System questions

I know this thread is 3 years old by the date stamp on the last post.

That being said, anyone have any updates on experience.

I have been reading up on the Fuji line and this look promising. Looking at one to paint the 912 projects, a friends plane and car, house exterior and cabinet stain.

Thoughts??

1978 911SC Targa
Working Projects: 1968 912
Old 08-25-2019, 10:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I've been in the finishing industry for over 45 years.
Used every conceivable spray rig and coating available.
I've painted well over 1000 cars, and later started a cabinet refinishing business.
An HVLP spray gun using compressed air started being the only allowable system in Calif.
way back in the early 1990's, due to environmental regs.
I currently use a turbine sprayer with delightful success in most cases.
Where it isn't recommended is in a very hot climate.
I recently was contracted to work on Maui, and had some ceiling panels which required spraying catalyzed conversion varnish.
Since the residence was already occupied, the only place available to do this was outside under an awning when the average daytime temp was north of 90 degrees.
The heat developed by the HVLP unit coupled with the ambient temp made achieving a flawless, properly flowed out finish impossible.
So it pays to have a pneumatic rig for this kind of situation.
Old 11-29-2019, 09:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: