Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Paint, Bodywork & Detailing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

rust stopper...slow downer or something

83 933 has aboyt a 4x2 in rust spot in rear arch.

I really just want need to stop it but more likely slow it down.

Was thinking I would sand it smoothish then put a rust inhibitor on it.

I have a small can of por15 and although it has never been opened it has gone through a couple of seasons sitting in a cold garage.

So since I need to buy something new anyway I wonder what would be best.

Also what level/grit paper should I use?

Old 05-25-2017, 09:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

MY GUESS IS FROM RESTORING A NUMBER OF 944'S THAT PRETTY MUCH THE HOLE WHEEL OPENING IS RUSTED TO CRAP !
you will have to get to the back side of the QTR to get some rust treatment between the two panels ( outer wheel house and QTR panel ) or it will just keep rusting . then being open with a rust hole there is no way to keep moisture out .
Old 05-26-2017, 03:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Full story on the car. It has a salvage title and was to be a track car by the PO.

I picked it up for 1400.00 INCLUDING tax-title-reg and inspection.

It had brand new tires, rebuilt calipers, new pads/rotor/ steel lines.

Timing belt/water pump and all new front seals and some other odds and ends.

I drive the car to work just about every day unless its raining.

Having said that it needs a bit of work in all phases. I bought it to teach my son how to wrench a little bit. I thought the Porsche would be a fun way to learn and I work in a Porsche shop where parts are plentifull.

I love the car and so does my son. I love that my kids can climb around it and if it gets scratched who cares. My son has already helped diagnose a no brake light situation and done some basic maintenance.

I got a quote to fix the rust. 650 and they were going to cut out a large section, put in new metal and match the paint.

While I don't think that price is horrible I just don't think its worth it on a 1400 salvage car.

I just want to slow it down and make it look decent. The car stays garage and almost never sees rain.
Old 05-26-2017, 05:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Old 05-26-2017, 05:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

get some sem rust seal and get at down between the two panels the outer wheel house and the QTR panel this will slow it down some .
so a salvage doesn't make the car a total POS . so place the worth on what the car is not on the value of a salvage is .
this also could be a good chance for the two of you guys to learn some about body and paint . do the repair your selfs . the body and paint forums here are pretty good lots of us are here to help and walk you thru repairs just like this .
Old 05-27-2017, 04:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Sorry what do you mean get "between" the 2 panels?
Old 05-30-2017, 03:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

dkbautosports.com

you have to get to it from the inside of the car . so you can get the rust seal between the outer wheel house and the QTR panel .
Old 05-30-2017, 06:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
For a $1400 car, why don't you show your kid how to grind the rust, Bondo it, and paint it?
You can do the whole thing for $100 and it will not look perfect, but will be a learning experience.
Old 07-19-2017, 08:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarwood View Post
For a $1400 car, why don't you show your kid how to grind the rust, Bondo it, and paint it?
You can do the whole thing for $100 and it will not look perfect, but will be a learning experience.
You skipped the part of weld it or is that where the $1400 car comes in?
Old 07-20-2017, 06:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
You wanted a stop gap, right?
Grind it away, and see what you're working with.
You might not need to weld new metal since this is not a show car restoration.

Last edited by sugarwood; 07-21-2017 at 08:06 AM..
Old 07-21-2017, 08:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Looks like a decent car. Pay the $650 if you have no skills or tools, otherwise cut it out and weld in new metal, it looks alittle too far gone just to grind and paint.
Old 07-23-2017, 05:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

I was thinking grind and put rust inhibitor then black stone guard sticker like the factory stickers?
Old 08-08-2017, 07:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: