Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

First 911 questions

Just bought a 1976 911
The car has quite the story however I am the second owner.
I even have a copy of the original issued title from when the car was sold new.

Its black on black and what really sold me on the car is that it has a Carbed' 3.0 case motor in it.
The previous owner told me stories of his ownership once i managed to get into contact with him.
Seems he had a shop back in the late 70s early 80s put a turbo on the 2.7 that came in the car and he admits he knew little to nothing about turbos and turned the boost up to about 10 pounds.
In his own words it took the rings out of the motor in short order.
So after about 3 motors he told his shop to build him something reliable.
That leads me to whats in the car now.
78 3.0L case with weber 46IDA's on the car. Obviously I pulled them off and cleaned them out and re gasketed them. Checked the ports, they clearly have been massaged they measure in at about 42mm
And they were sort of dirty. Makes sense because when i went to look at the car it ran on 5 cyls and very poorly at that. Everything in the carbs leaked including the gaskets under the accel jets. That and the shifter was essentially unusable.

This gets me back to my point, I cleaned the carbs out got the car to run well enough on my lift however oil temps want to hover around 250.
The lines down the side of the car have the usual pinches and they do get hot but What I was wondering is do I need more cooling than the factory 76 trombone cooler offers or is it running hot because I am sitting stationary on a lift.

So what I have done so far in my ownership is this

Flushed brake fluid. (Actually came out not bad)
removed and had the fuel tank cleaned, replaced the level sender
dismantled the door trying to solve the non working window (Its the motor)
repaired the window switches.
Replaced every bushing in the shift linkage and replaced the selector shaft seal
Weirdly, astonishingly that was the only oil leak on the car.
Removed the carbs, and the fan shroud vac'ed the engine bay extensively and the trunk
Found a total of 4 dead rats.
cleaned the ports, replaced the belt put new sparks in
Scoped the bores and confirmed no stock domed pistons with a set of valve reliefs
and repaired the drivers side door panel.
Scrubbed the trans where it was caked in oil.
Checked the back dated heat exchangers for leaks
Adjusted the valves. (not the most fun)
Oil change. 11 quarts of oil!

Things I want to do, get it running and driving, evaluate what else it needs, not over heat it.
I also own a 914 I am doing a 6 conversion on. so This is not my first air-cooled.
And I have spent years reading this forum so hopefully my questions are not too wildly out of line.
Old 07-10-2018, 12:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered Minimalist

Garage
Well done getting the car back in shape. We are going to need a picture!

Regarding the temperature, that is way hot for idle on a lift. 250 is what I would expect with no front lines at all, like my 75 was. That's after spirited driving. Once I installed oil lines and a carrera cooler, it's never over 210 - in Las Vegas summers!

Even with the trombone, I think you should top out at 240-250 if a hot day and spirited driving.

It's good that you got to the rats, but maybe you need to check for further nesting materials around the engine cooler itself. or stuffed around the heads etc. Should have had a pretty good view with the shroud off though. Stick a vacuum up on top of the transaxle. There's a flat spot they love up there.

How bad are the pinches? There's a tutorial here to DIY pop them out. It's sorta risky if you asked me. If it were my car, i'd probably upgrade to a cooler with an auto fan. They help a lot.

The timing could be way off, did you check that? Could make your motor run hot.

Check the oil on a flat surface after getting the car up to temp. A short drive. If the oil is low, it can run hot. 11 sounds about right. Maybe a bit high.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-technical-forum/878569-born-75-me-my-new-911s.html
Old 07-10-2018, 01:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Sounds like a nice car. Curious, how are you getting your temp. value, a gauge or a temp gun on the oil tank/lines?

If you can swing it, I would certainly install a Carrera cooler given that a massaged engine in California heat will certainly tax the current system.
Old 07-10-2018, 03:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

More importantly, how are you going to register the car in Ca. with carbs?
2013 Cayenne GTS Meteor Grey
2003 Boxster S
Old 07-10-2018, 03:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Heres the pictures you were asking for.
I am uncertain on how to jet the car so I am working with what I have now.
The timing is not off, however its still a stock 3.0L distributor with the vac pot for advance.
I am seriously considering buying a electronic crank fire ignition system for it because we just put one on a race car at my shop and its one less thing to think of.
Also I registered it through AAA just went down and paid the fees it was about 292 dollars. I also needed to buy plates.

I guess I did not explain that when i removed the carbs to clean them i also removed the engine shroud and checked the top of the motor for rat droppings, weirdly it and the oil cooler were clean.
I have extensively been around the engine and trunk with a shop vac.
Right now the only way to determine temp i have been using is the gauge, i need to find my infrared gun to check the tank and other areas.
Old 07-11-2018, 04:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

if your car is registered as a '76, CA is going to want it smogged at some point. and it won't pass with a carb'd 3.0. you may have deferred that a bit by going thru AAA.

i have a '76 with a 3.2, but i squeezed by the smog monster as my car has a '75 production date was titled from new in CA as a '75.

best of luck...
Old 07-11-2018, 04:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I know, I am unconcerned.
Moving on.
Old 07-11-2018, 09:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

That's a seriously nice car. I really like the 3.0L & carb set up, but you will have to do some fancy dancin come time to smog - you'll figure it out. My car is a '69 w/ a '77 carbed engine, so the smog thing isn't an issue. Have fun!
Old 07-11-2018, 10:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Just got through doing my base tune on the carbs, the car rips.
leaves number 11s in second gear.
I do think that the car will get a carrera oil cooler just to be on the safe side.
I need to finish buttoning up the door and get the power window working.
Don't know what else I really want to do with the car.
Likely list is
drive the car, find other problems
Decide if i need to do anything to the suspension and if so what.
replace the bushings in the drivers side door hinge as they are worn.
and attempt to get the front window frames to match the rear window frames with the silver anodize treatment.
I would really like nicer headlights but these will have to do.
While i had the car idling today I noticed a small drip off the thermostat so i bought both crush washers for the thermostat.
Old 07-12-2018, 01:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Regarding the temps, are you sure that the sender matches the gauge? If you have the wrong sender you’ll get incorrect readings. Verify the oil temp some other way.
Old 07-12-2018, 06:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Eng-o-neer

IR gun. Include a fan (such as the American Volt fan) on the oil cooler. You're bound to wind up in traffic on a hot day at some point.

That car looks way nicer than I expected for having found four rats.
Old 07-12-2018, 10:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Yesssssss. And LSD to boot.
Old 07-12-2018, 10:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Turbo Powered Snow Blower

Garage
First 911 questions

Somebody call the SMOG PoPo... You guys are too out of the loop. He said he works at a shop. Heís not concerned.
Definition; Iíve got people for that. Anyone in the business has a contact.

As for the oil temp something doesnít sound right. Verify the gauge. My car was fine on the Trombone cooler. I switched to the Carrera with the American Volt fan Tremuline mentioned because I have working AC and it gets 100+ here frequently. Oh and I drive my car a lot.

And you definitely want to freshen up the suspension. The way my car drives after a rebuild is amazing. Those parts are 40 years old. They are done!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by 1979-930; 07-13-2018 at 06:12 AM..
Old 07-13-2018, 06:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1979-930 View Post
Somebody call the SMOG PoPo... You guys are too out of the loop. He said he works at a shop. Heís not concerned.
Definition; Iíve got people for that. Anyone in the business has a contact.

As for the oil temp something doesnít sound right. Verify the gauge. My car was fine on the Trombone cooler. I switched to the Carrera with the American Volt fan Tremuline mentioned because I have working AC and it gets 100+ here frequently. Oh and I drive my car a lot.

And you definitely want to freshen up the suspension. The way my car drives after a rebuild is amazing. Those parts are 40 years old. They are done!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hell yes brother. I don't think I've done a legal smog on any of the classic or race cars in the last 10 years. I'll be damned if I take a perfectly good 911 or E30 or 2002 and convert it back just to pass smog. I rather pay the $250 price every two years. I did the math and it only comes out to 27.7 burritos (with guac).

PS, I remember you and your son from when I used to play with e30s. I lived in Roseville. I think I was 16 at the time.
Old 07-13-2018, 10:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

I did confirm the gauge matches the temps as displayed on the valve cover areas.
they tend to run around 240.
That said the tank and the trombone loop are around 200 to 220 depending on where i hit the loop
tank drain nut is a steady 190
While the temps are not wildly out of whack I still agree with the wisdom here and am searching for the best place to get one.
I also ordered a cap and rotor for a 78 911 3.0L engine and it showed up too small so that is my next issue, the cap and rotor are fairly worn and id like to replace that to see if it solves my slightly rough running under load.

I put in a message to clint at rebel about suspension stuff but if anyone has any suggestions I would love to hear it. the car has a front sway bar but not a rear and some asshat looks like they sazalled the mount off the body so ill have to replace that.
Old 07-13-2018, 10:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Eng-o-neer

Quote:
Originally Posted by danco_ View Post
I rather pay the $250 price every two years.
...You can pay your way out of California smog?
Old 07-14-2018, 09:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

guys enough with the smog questions.
Old 07-16-2018, 08:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

So my car seems to have difficulty going into 5th/Reverse.
I can shift it into 5th but it wants to stick there, Ill be attempting to adjust the clutch to see if that helps but
I followed the directions to adjust the shifter and those were
get the transmission into first gear, then move the shifter to as far as it will go in the 1st area so forward and left then tighten down. Is this correct or is their other directions that might be more accurate and or helpful?
Clutch does seem to release right at the top.
And I am having some trouble trying to find the right cap and rotor for the car.
I ordered it for a 78 3.0L however I am uncertain if the caps changed throughout the course of the 3.0L life cycle.
I know the 3.2 is not the same. and that the 2.7 Is smaller.
The steering wheel has the stitching coming apart and i need to attend to that. So i get to figure out how to remove the horn pad and get the wheel out.
Also Id really like to remove the boost gauge and put the clock back into the car.

Old 07-18-2018, 12:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: