Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Paint crack on the inside of the rain gutter at bottom of A pillar, normal?

Hi Guys,
I found a 3.2 carrera that I'd like to purchase. the driver side rain gutter where it meets the bottom of the windshield has a paint crack on the inside. I have seen it on other cars, Is it normal?

below is a photo i found online showing the paint crack, the crack on my potential purchase is about 2-3 times of that length. Is this something I should worry about and anything I should check out before go ahead with the deal?

Car has mostly original paint except driver side front fender and rear quarter panel.

Thanks guys!

Last edited by Abby3.2Carrera; 10-07-2018 at 12:31 AM..
Old 10-07-2018, 12:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Yea, I have one on my 74

David
Old 10-07-2018, 03:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
I have one in the same spot on my ‘89 (3.2). All original paint.
Old 10-07-2018, 05:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

It should be fixed before the rust spreads. also why was the rear quarter and fender repainted? Accident?? Not deal breakers but I would investigate further.
Old 10-07-2018, 05:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Banned but not out, yet..

Garage
Yup, both sides of the 82. Treated with Rust Mort and then touch up paint.

Check out my books on Amazon: Under Big Sky, and Achieving Lasting Happiness
Old 10-07-2018, 06:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
So that's definitely not normal. I'm here in town too, is this on offer by a local dealer? You should have that inspected as I think you will be into a rust repair for a few k bucks. Have them look in all the other areas prone to rust like behind the kidney bowls and front fender supports. There is what looks like a decent 87 Carrera in marine blue by a dealer that might be worth a look. Good luck.
Old 10-07-2018, 06:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Coram Deo

Garage
If I understand the picture correctly, we're looking at the bottom corner of the windshield. Look here before you go further. These two posts in particular may be useful for your specific question, but I recommend the whole thread.

Why windshield trim should be a regular maintenance item.

Paint doesn't crack for no reason.
Old 10-07-2018, 07:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDM View Post
If I understand the picture correctly, we're looking at the bottom corner of the windshield. Look here before you go further. These two posts in particular may be useful for your specific question, but I recommend the whole thread.

Paint doesn't crack for no reason.

WOW. Thanks for the information! Further investigate is needed for sure!
Old 10-07-2018, 08:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ab1752 View Post
So that's definitely not normal. I'm here in town too, is this on offer by a local dealer? You should have that inspected as I think you will be into a rust repair for a few k bucks. Have them look in all the other areas prone to rust like behind the kidney bowls and front fender supports. There is what looks like a decent 87 Carrera in marine blue by a dealer that might be worth a look. Good luck.
Thanks! I will definitely have a ppi done now since that looks like a much better issue that i first thought. Car is from someone I know, not currently being advertised.
Old 10-07-2018, 08:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dpmulvan View Post
It should be fixed before the rust spreads. also why was the rear quarter and fender repainted? Accident?? Not deal breakers but I would investigate further.
Thanks! Do you think the crack indicates the rust underneath for sure? There is no record on the paint of the rear quarter and front fender.
Old 10-07-2018, 08:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpo View Post
Yea, I have one on my 74

David
Thanks for the info!
Old 10-07-2018, 08:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scbrindley View Post
I have one in the same spot on my ‘89 (3.2). All original paint.
Thanks for the info. do you mind take a pic if its not too much trouble.
Old 10-07-2018, 08:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Coram Deo

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby3.2Carrera View Post
WOW. Thanks for the information! Further investigate is needed for sure!
You are absolutely welcome. You'll see later in that thread, or this one (SC Windshield / targa window seal replacement and trim refinishing), that based on that information I replaced my 38-year-old windshield and Targa window seals. The seals were old, shrunken and cracking, but no symptoms like what you're seeing. Even so, I found rust in the bottom corner of the windshield and under the Targa window seal in the back (both on the passenger side).

What is the condition of the windshield seal? Pliable? Cracking?
Old 10-07-2018, 09:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Amateur

Garage
If you are referring to the paint in the gutter, that spot has a thicker dollop of paint so minor cracks are not unexpected after 30 yr !
The GR is also single stage paint meaning no clear coat. The advantage of that is no peeling clear coat and easy to work on but the underlying paint is also more exposed to the elements.

Old 10-07-2018, 10:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDM View Post
You are absolutely welcome. You'll see later in that thread, or this one (SC Windshield / targa window seal replacement and trim refinishing), that based on that information I replaced my 38-year-old windshield and Targa window seals. The seals were old, shrunken and cracking, but no symptoms like what you're seeing. Even so, I found rust in the bottom corner of the windshield and under the Targa window seal in the back (both on the passenger side).

What is the condition of the windshield seal? Pliable? Cracking?
Yea, i should look very closely for rust in that area, its also only showing crack on the driver side.
The windshield seal appear to be original and in good condition.
Old 10-07-2018, 10:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
Be sure to take it to someone who knows where these rust. Cracks like that which are more like voids aren't from body flex. That's rust coming from inside out so budget accordingly. Turn 3 should know how to properly ppis this car for body and mechanical.
Old 10-07-2018, 10:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
If you really wanted to compare cars PM me but I'm on the north shore with an 89 Carrera coupe
Old 10-07-2018, 10:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmax View Post
If you are referring to the paint in the gutter, that spot has a thicker dollop of paint so minor cracks are not unexpected after 30 yr !
The GR is also single stage paint meaning no clear coat. The advantage of that is no peeling clear coat and easy to work on but the underlying paint is also more exposed to the elements.

Thanks!
Yes, that's the area. The car I am looking at has a longer crack which spread higher into the gutter and showing a white line crack. paint is original on the roof and I think its original on the pillar too. I will have to take a photo on Tuesday and have you guys to take a look for me.
Old 10-07-2018, 10:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Quote:
If you really wanted to compare cars PM me but I'm on the north shore with an 89 Carrera coupe
Thanks! Appreciate the offer! I'd love to check out your car when i am in the area.
Old 10-07-2018, 10:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Be sure to take it to someone who knows where these rust. Cracks like that which are more like voids aren't from body flex. That's rust coming from inside out so budget accordingly. Turn 3 should know how to properly ppis this car for body and mechanical.
Yea, further investigation is needed. The last 2 carreras I looked at both showing the crack. The one I am looking to buy has a longer crack which spread into a white line a couple inches further up the gutter. The 930 Turbo I looked at couple weeks ago didn't have the cracks however.
Old 10-07-2018, 10:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: