Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

1982 sc wonít start after new battery and red relay😞

As stated above. I hear the fuel pump but not smelling gas. Also when I push on the gas pedal I have this noise as if the throttle cables are hitting the transmission tunnel. Thoughts?
Old 10-14-2018, 12:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Any thoughts/suggestions? Thinking starter solenoid. Car does turn over....
Old 10-15-2018, 12:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
... if your FP still works after the FP relay change then the relay isn't flawed.
But ... honestly ... if everything is connected correctly, .. how can you hear the fuel pump, as in this case here it would only work while starting when the engine won't fire up afterwards? So the noise of the starter will drown it.

If you hear the FP with just the key to ignition on without starting your connection of the system is not as it should be, even if this here should not the real problem here.
Old 10-15-2018, 03:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Thanks Andy. I turn the key to the right and I hear a humming sound. I assume it is the fuel pump. Interestingly Iím not smelling fuel however.
Old 10-15-2018, 04:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Hey, nice marmot.

Garage
You should not hear the fuel pump when turning the key (before starting). That likely means the air pressure plate sensor is disconnected. Reach around on the engine from the left side behind the airbox and see if you can feel a loose plug.

You can't buy happiness, but you can buy car parts which is kind of the same thing.
Old 10-15-2018, 10:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirwin View Post
You should not hear the fuel pump when turning the key (before starting). That likely means the air pressure plate sensor is disconnected. Reach around on the engine from the left side behind the airbox and see if you can feel a loose plug.
Thanks-will try this tonight!
Old 10-15-2018, 10:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Test for spark first. Are you sure the humming you hear isn't the CDI? You can jump the relay to get the fuel pump to run. If that works try a different relay.
Old 10-15-2018, 10:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

a lot of guys confuse fuel pump with whine from CDI box... just sayin ...
2014 Audi A4 2.0T Technik (Audi Support Vehicle)
Old 10-15-2018, 10:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by classic911 View Post
Thanks Andy. I turn the key to the right and I hear a humming sound. I assume it is the fuel pump. Interestingly Iím not smelling fuel however.
ok, so you assume. Then just check the noise carfeully, is it (guess where) in front below the tank -> it's the .. FP :-)
Old 10-15-2018, 11:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

I'm thinking that it is the fuel pump-any quick tests to confirm that? All the fuses and relays are ok.
Old 10-18-2018, 08:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Yes. You can remove the FP relay and jump pin 87a(I think) and 30 to get it to run with the key on. Alternately you can briefly lift up on the plate in the air box to and listen for a buzz from the injector. Do a search here or refer to the Bentley for the procedures.
Old 10-18-2018, 10:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

If you "fixed" something that wasn't completely broken, like the relay, put the old one back in & see what happens.

If it cranks on the new battery, that's prolly O.K.
Old 10-18-2018, 08:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueWhy View Post
Yes. You can remove the FP relay and jump pin 87a(I think) and 30 to get it to run with the key on. Alternately you can briefly lift up on the plate in the air box to and listen for a buzz from the injector. Do a search here or refer to the Bentley for the procedures.
Got a buzz from the injectors....
Old 10-21-2018, 05:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: