Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Disconnecting 3.6 knock sensors?

Finally getting some dyno time now that the Chicago weather might just warm up.... finally. Had a day scheduled previously and it snowed 6" and temps dropped into the teens the night before, not very conducive to starting up a new air cooled engine and trying to drive the car into the trailer pushing snow with the front splitter.

Hoping to see 270-280 at the wheels with the mild 3.6 I built. Currently have custom Steve Wong software that he'll fine tune once I get the dyno pulls and printouts. But wondering if there would be any challenges disconnecting the stock knock sensors. I've got 100 octane Sunoco 260 GT in the tank and will run that or a blend of that and 110 at the track if I need it. I've heard that the 964 knock sensors can be overly aggressive if the engine temps get up higher than a street engine would see and I don't want to give up power if it's not knock related.

'97 BMW 528i (the sensible car, bought new)
'12 Vintage/Millenium 23' v-nose enclosed trailer
Old 03-12-2019, 08:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Iíd like to hear what others have to say. I believe that Steve has done a full disassembly of the 964 chip, so he would have the answer about how the knock circuit works. While playing around, I found that pulling the plug on a knock sensor didnít change the ignition advance at idle or a steady 3k rpm. Neither under load, which may be a requirement before the sensor steps in.

The intake air temp timing retard is somewhat aggressive. Iím not sure if Steve backs that off or not in his tunes, or if thatís even a good idea.
Old 03-12-2019, 08:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickd View Post
Iíd like to hear what others have to say. I believe that Steve has done a full disassembly of the 964 chip, so he would have the answer about how the knock circuit works. While playing around, I found that pulling the plug on a knock sensor didnít change the ignition advance at idle or a steady 3k rpm. Neither under load, which may be a requirement before the sensor steps in.

The intake air temp timing retard is somewhat aggressive. Iím not sure if Steve backs that off or not in his tunes, or if thatís even a good idea.
Thanks, I've got an email in to Steve.
'97 BMW 528i (the sensible car, bought new)
'12 Vintage/Millenium 23' v-nose enclosed trailer
Old 03-12-2019, 09:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

mine are hooked up to the haltec running the engine. don't mind if they are aggressive, with the heat here that's exactly what i want

Old 03-12-2019, 02:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: