Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

PMO carbs overhall or rebuild steps or tutorial?

Hey all,

Just picked up a 75 911 with a stock 3.6 with 50mm PMO carbs (and headers). The car had been sitting for a bit. I think the carbs need some work, as it takes repeated 5 pumps and feathering to start, its flat as Texas from idle on up and its spitting up a bit at idle.

Additonally one of the float windows shows fuel 3/4 of the way up the window, while the others are near 20%.

I did check spark and timing (its got msd boxes) and that is good.

I see a bunch of threads on tuning the PMO's but I don't see a thread or tutorial on the proper steps to take off and fully clean them and get to a baseline.

Not sure if there is a specific method or way, but I thought I would check here and see if anyone has created or knows of a step by step to make sure I get it done right, the first time

Thanks!
Old 04-02-2019, 05:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Google is your friend:

PMO Porsche 911 Carburetion - Installation
Old 04-03-2019, 11:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Thanks Pcars, but that is for setting up PMO's... I'm looking for something that address having carbs on a car that need a rebuild and what steps happen when etc, but Thanks for this!
Old 04-03-2019, 05:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
PMO Refresh

Here's some info that may help:

Performance Oriented

Gordo's PMO Carb Tuning

Most info related to Weber IDA's applies to the PMO's, however rebuild of old Webers is far beyond what would be required of your PMO's.

I'm sure your PMO's are still solid / without wear, unlike old Webers that may have worn shafts etc. requiring a no-kidding rebuild.

At most, for your carbs, I would consider removing, disassembling and giving them a thorough cleaning, replacing a few gaskets & possibly new float needles and adjusting the float levels.

Good luck,

Gordo
Old 04-03-2019, 06:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Bland

Garage
why not contact Richard Parr?

you FAX him, and he will call you back
Old 04-03-2019, 07:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
'73 911 T Targa

Garage
I have about 10% of the knowledge of most of the people here, so this is a rookieís view.

I had similar issues when I first got my car which has Webers. You basically take the carbs all apart, clean everything with carb cleaner and put them back together. If you get into trouble, someone here will help. There are some expendable parts like o-rings and copper washers that will need to be replaced. They should be available from PMO.

When I did mine the first time, I did it with the carbs in the car because I didnít want to muck with the linkage.

To me, adjusting the floats was the biggest pain because itís messy and itís a trial and error thing.

No matter what you do, youíre going to need to go through the adjustment process when you get it all back together. Youíll need a synchrometer for that.
Old 04-04-2019, 03:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Vintage Owner

Garage
With today’s fuels, it’s not uncommon for the internal passages and jets to get clogged. Cleaning and replacing gaskets should help. I’d also recommend reading the info that Paul Abbot has provided on the Performance Oriented website before beginning.
75 GMC Motorhome
Old 04-04-2019, 08:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWebb View Post
why not contact Richard Parr?

you FAX him, and he will call you back
That's awesome.
Old 04-04-2019, 08:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: