Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Runnin on empty

Garage
Zinc Plating Questions

I will be sending out some parts to be Zinc Plated while my car is in for paint.

My question:

1) Door strikers. Can it be plated with the plastic or do I have to take apart?

2) Door latch mechanisms. Do they have to be dismantled? Or can they be left assembled? I really don't care about the main part inside the door. Just the exposed latch and screws.

Thanks, Andy
Old 05-21-2019, 01:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

For the strike, drive out the two small pins and the two plates rotate on the larger pin releasing the plastic bits. Careful with the plastic bits as they are NLA.

I didnt re-plate my latch, so cant help on that.

I was surprised to find out from my plater that parts with attached rubber bits can be plated complete, ex engine mounts.

HTH
Old 05-21-2019, 02:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I have had plenty of small parts plated that have been attached to plastic or nylon.Never had a problem at all and the integrity of the non metal parts has never been compromised. I was a bit worried at first but the plater said that it is quite common and he was correct.
Old 05-22-2019, 02:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solamar View Post
For the strike, drive out the two small pins and the two plates rotate on the larger pin releasing the plastic bits. Careful with the plastic bits as they are NLA.

I didnt re-plate my latch, so cant help on that.

I was surprised to find out from my plater that parts with attached rubber bits can be plated complete, ex engine mounts.

HTH
If you are talking about these...Rennline has replacement ones

Door Striker Repair Kit-Rennline, Inc.
Old 05-22-2019, 04:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Runnin on empty

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDKLOL View Post

Thanks for this link!!
Old 05-22-2019, 11:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Under the radar

Location: Sebastopol, the land of wine and redwoods in The Republic of California.
Garage
Yea, I made the mistake of not removing the plastic from the striker plates when I had my stuff replated. I ended up having to replace them due to the plastic being mostly eaten away.
#56 PCA Redwood Region, GGR, NASA, Speed SF
Trackrash's Garage :: My Garage
Old 05-22-2019, 12:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDKLOL View Post

Unfortunately, those don't fit the original Porsche door strikes. They do fit the Stoddard Repros though.

Sierra Madre might have the correct ones -

Door lock striker

Last edited by Solamar; 05-22-2019 at 12:27 PM..
Old 05-22-2019, 12:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: