Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Does hub centric = Lug centric as well?

So if I need to ad spacers that are 6-8 mm and that is beyond the hub centric lip will the lugs center the wheel since the minimum spacer with a lip is 15mm?
Thanks
Toby
Old 09-18-2019, 02:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Never rely on lug-centric spacers. That's not what the studs are for. There are 7mm hub-centric spacers out there.
Old 09-18-2019, 02:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Inc. View Post
Never rely on lug-centric spacers. That's not what the studs are for. There are 7mm hub-centric spacers out there.
The problem is the shallow spacers donít have the lip for centering the wheel.
And from my research 15mm is the thinnest you can go to have a hub lip. I understand why, just wondering if the 911 lugs also center the wheel.
Old 09-18-2019, 03:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Elephant Racing does a 7mm hub-centric spacer.
Old 09-18-2019, 03:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

https://www.elephantracing.com/porsche/wheel-spacers/wheel-spacers-studs/
Looking at elephants website and a post by chuck I’ve come to This conclusion but could be wrong.... if your in the 8mm area your in no mans land. Not enough material to have a hubcentric spacer “with” a hub centric lip on it. Which is why I was wondering about if the lugs can act as a lug centric.
Old 09-18-2019, 03:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

H&r 7mm are definately hubcentric .
I moved a set in the garage a couple of days ago .
I’ll have to go look in the garage but I believe ruf are too , but porsche are not .
I think my next set up in size are 10mm and ruf . Hubcentric too .
Old 09-19-2019, 06:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

abides.

Garage
Our ball seat lugs do a pretty good job of centering the wheel. I would snug the lugnuts evenly and call it good. If it's not centered for some reason, you'll feel the vibration right away. Just my 2 cents.
Old 09-20-2019, 11:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtc View Post
Our ball seat lugs do a pretty good job of centering the wheel. I would snug the lugnuts evenly and call it good. If it's not centered for some reason, you'll feel the vibration right away. Just my 2 cents.
We have used some flat spacers and not had any vibration issues . . . agree that if the lugs are torqued properly the wheel should be centered on the hub - unless maybe the studs are all bent which is very unlikely . . . IMHO of course . . .

Good luck with your project,
Regards,
Roy T

2002 Porsche Boxster S Cobalt Blue/Blk/Blk
Crew Chief for Son's 1978 Porsche 911SC Brown 3.8L NASA race car
Previous Porsches: 1958 356 Red Coupe - 1972 914 Blue -1972 911T Coupe Aubergine

Last edited by Sboxin; 09-21-2019 at 08:24 AM..
Old 09-20-2019, 04:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Inc. View Post
Never rely on lug-centric spacers. That's not what the studs are for.
^
X100.... but hey do whatever makes you happy.
Old 09-20-2019, 04:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Location: behind the redwood curtain, (humboldt county) california
Garage
Hub centric spacers take the shear loan, not the lugs

In another forum, there was a hot thread about the need to not just center the wheel properly, it is also there to transfer the shear load from the wheel to the hub, rather than placing a bending load on the studs.
chris
Old 09-20-2019, 07:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: