Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Targa_PB_78_SC

Garage
Window install step question

Okay I got my OEM Porsche seal on my front window.
Pretty sure itís correct per photo. I used no soap just dry and held the start in place with duct tape. Not too bad.

Choices for next step?

A.) work my new trim into the groove in front or

B.) place my pull-cord (14 gauge wire two loops worth) in the groove

I get the trim must go in before seating the glass. Could not find advice on order of install for trim and pull cord

Old 10-05-2019, 11:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike sampsel View Post
Okay I got my OEM Porsche seal on my front window.
Pretty sure itís correct per photo. I used no soap just dry and held the start in place with duct tape. Not too bad.

Choices for next step?

A.) work my new trim into the groove in front or

B.) place my pull-cord (14 gauge wire two loops worth) in the groove

I get the trim must go in before seating the glass. Could not find advice on order of install for trim and pull cord

Trim must go on before the whole thing go on the car. Just pull the pull-cord at the same time have a helper push on the windshield from the outside at the area pulling the cord.
Old 10-05-2019, 04:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Maybe this guide will help a bit as well.

https://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/101_Projects_Porsche_911/80-Glass_Install/80-Glass_Install.htm
Old 10-07-2019, 04:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
I always put the trim in and then my pull cord.
Old 10-08-2019, 08:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Put the trim on carefully and make sure it is fully seated in the channel. If it backs out during the install, you need to remove the windshield and reengage it. I suggest using 2 small ropes, the second as a just in case the first one doesn't get the lip engaged. Lube up the rope channel well before you start.

Take your time and center the windshield on the opening, it will want to slide down, and once centered, start the roping. Start at the bottom and have someone pushing from the outside lightly as you pull the rope. Do sections at a time, bottom right, bottom left, each side then the top right and left. If a part doesn't engage you have the second rope ready to go.

Center the windshield and seal in the opening and you shouldn't have to fittle with trying to get the seal to cover the corners.

Good luck Mike
7's and 9's, Steve W chip
Kuehl AC and fresh top end
Old 10-08-2019, 09:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Targa_PB_78_SC

Garage
Thanks for the tips. Had to use pliers, protected with heater hose, to get the trim to seat into the molding. I decided to go with trim first, then 14 gauge wire. The wire is fairly easy to get in the groove (itís stout enough) after the trim is in place. Itís the first time I recall black trim on the car!

Just need the car from paint, and install wiper motor, dash and then this glass. It took me about 3 to 4 hours. Iím slow.

Iíll be reviewing the tips again at install time.

Old 10-09-2019, 01:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Mike, did you get your car back yet? Curious how your install went?
7's and 9's, Steve W chip
Kuehl AC and fresh top end
Old 10-15-2019, 09:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Targa_PB_78_SC

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by carreradpt View Post
Mike, did you get your car back yet? Curious how your install went?
No it’s still in paint assembly. Earliest for the glass install is first week in November. I’ll try to update here on results. Ping me again if no update. Although the forum did not notify me about your post.
Old 10-17-2019, 10:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: