Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Strange 991.1 PDK shift pattern and other weirdnesses

Just wondering if anyone knows a way to reverse the weird manual shifter orientation on the 991.1 PDK ? Reprogramming? So strange that Porsche had upshift pushing forward and downshift pulling back.... what were they thinking?

Also, although it's possible to program just about all settings onto my key, it's strange that the default is for the radio in my 2013 4S to be on every time I start he car. No way to keep it off... it comes alive every time... lol

These kinds of strange counter-intuitive controls sort of remind me of the heating/ventilation system on my 1987 Carrera... whoever designed that system was insane.
Old 10-12-2019, 09:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Jiu Jitsu Grappler

Garage
I thought the 991's reversed it? My 09 997S had the orientation as you mentioned, with up shifting forward and downshifting pulling back. Not sure there's a fix for that but you should try to post this in the 996 forum. Most of the knowledge here is on the air cooled cars.

1976 Turbo Coupe 3.2
2009 Carerra S 997.2 (SOLD)
Old 10-13-2019, 09:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodsrsr View Post
I thought the 991's reversed it? My 09 997S had the orientation as you mentioned, with up shifting forward and downshifting pulling back. Not sure there's a fix for that but you should try to post this in the 996 forum. Most of the knowledge here is on the air cooled cars.
The issue was addressed and the orientation reversed on the 991.2 cars beginning in 2016…
Old 10-13-2019, 10:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

It's a user interface issue. I have no issue with either pattern but actually consider the original Porsche pattern more sensible (+ forward, - rearward). Also, the redundant shift buttons on the 2009 PDK steering wheel are superior to paddles as there is never a doubt, no matter the steering wheel position, how to upshift or downshift. I have both a 911 with buttons and a car with paddles; the original Porsche push/pull redundant solution is superior. And yes, PDK allows shifting mid-turn without any unsettling.

Last edited by adias; 10-13-2019 at 10:53 AM..
Old 10-13-2019, 10:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Insert Tag Line HERE.....

Garage
Send a message via AIM to rattlsnak
My 991.1 has the correct shift orientation. (it's a GT3 though). But I know what you mean, I drove a friend's 991.1 911 and I was like, WTF?? That makes ZERO sense to have the shifter pattern backwards like that. Who pulls back to downshift?? Completely idiotic.. Glad they fixed it with the newer models..
Old 10-13-2019, 03:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rattlsnak View Post
My 991.1 has the correct shift orientation. (it's a GT3 though). But I know what you mean, I drove a friend's 991.1 911 and I was like, WTF?? That makes ZERO sense to have the shifter pattern backwards like that. Who pulls back to downshift?? Completely idiotic.. Glad they fixed it with the newer models..
Yep. The fact that they had the orientation correct on the GT3 makes it even more surprising and strange that they would keep the other models reversed... Why have two opposing orientations for no apparent reason? The cynic in me thinks that they do weird things intentionally to created interest, lore and discussion... And I've fallen into the trap
Old 10-13-2019, 04:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aways View Post
Yep. The fact that they had the orientation correct on the GT3 makes it even more surprising and strange that they would keep the other models reversed... Why have two opposing orientations for no apparent reason? The cynic in me thinks that they do weird things intentionally to created interest, lore and discussion... And I've fallen into the trap
They did that (+ forward - rearward) to ease the transition from the same pattern long used in tiptronic boxes since the '90s. It did not make a difference to me as I easily adapt to different UIs. I maintain that the steering wheel redundant push/pull shifting buttons are superior to paddles, even though the majority prefers the me-too paddles.

I believe that PDK-equipped 997s with 'reversed' gear levers and redundant push/pull buttons will be sought after in the future.
Old 10-13-2019, 06:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Yeah, I forgot that the Tip shifters were that way, which makes me wonder why they were backwards but I suppose if you follow the normal logic of an automatic shifter, the lower gears are further back. It was the same with the muscle car dual gate shifters, etc..

I think for the GT cars, people treat them more like a manual trans where the throw is more natural to that of a manual trans which is generally the opposite. 1st to 2nd, 3rd to 4th etc.

Not sure which push/pull steering wheel buttons you're talking about though. Do you mean the +/- thumb buttons on the 3 and 9 oclock position on the steering wheel that were on the earlier cars? I know the later Tip cars had paddle shifters, but either way the paddles on the PDK are perfect!!
Old 10-13-2019, 08:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Tiptronic (and other "manual shift" automatics) have been forward to upshift, back to downshift on multiple vehicles (Audi, VW, Volvo, Japanese stuff) for a long time. I haven't been in a newer Porsche with PDK yet. The only cars I've seen with forward to downshift and back to upshift are BMW.
Old 10-13-2019, 09:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
All the PDK Porsche GT cars are forward to downshift..
Old 10-13-2019, 09:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Not sure which push/pull steering wheel buttons you're talking about though. Do you mean the +/- thumb buttons on the 3 and 9 oclock position on the steering wheel that were on the earlier cars? I know the later Tip cars had paddle shifters, but either way the paddles on the PDK are perfect!!
Yes the thumb buttons (push/pull). You push either the left or the right button to upshift and pull either one to downshift. No matter where the steering wheel is pulling one button will downshift. It just works!
Old 10-13-2019, 09:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
Hmmmm. Don't they have a + on the top half of the switch and a - on the bottom have? Not sure what you mean by push and pull? I just assumed you push the top half to shift up and push the bottom half of the rocker switch to shift down?

Old 10-13-2019, 10:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
(and not trying to hassle you, just trying to learn..)
Old 10-13-2019, 10:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Just discovered that there is a company in the fatherland (Startseite - A&A Automobiltechnik - EDC17, Allradprüfstand, DSG, Porsche, Chiptuning) that will for ~$500 reprogram the control unit to reverse the shift orientation to “back to upshift” and “forward to downshift”, the way God intended…
Old 10-13-2019, 11:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Hmmmm. Don't they have a + on the top half of the switch and a - on the bottom have? Not sure what you mean by push and pull? I just assumed you push the top half to shift up and push the bottom half of the rocker switch to shift down?
Those were the old tiptronic rocker buttons. The PDK push/pull buttons are different. Push on the front of the button to upshift, pull behind the button to downshift.

Old 10-14-2019, 09:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

The Cobb access port PDK program will also reverse the shifting, so it's the same as most touring cars and rally cars, and shifter karts, and GT cars....

Even when the tip-tronic was like this it always felt backwards to me, but I've encountered a handful of people who felt this was the correct way too, so there must be something about it that registers with some folks.
enjoyed and passed along:
1990 964 C2, 2007 C4S Cabriolet, 1997 986, 1958 356 A
Old 10-14-2019, 11:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by adias View Post
Those were the old tiptronic rocker buttons. The PDK push/pull buttons are different. Push on the front of the button to upshift, pull behind the button to downshift.
Ahhh, i thought you were talking about Tip shift buttons the whole time. You're talking about PDK shift button without the paddles.. Got it! lol..
Old 10-14-2019, 10:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: