Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

3.6 Conversion in A '70 - 14 Pin Connector Issue

I've searched this forum several times and reviewed all my subscribed threads even remotely related to this wiring/connector issue. Late '90 964 3.6 in my '70T. Per the pic I'm stumped as to what to do to resolve this issue....two female 14 pin connectors that I believe should go together in some fashion...these are the only remaining connectors in the engine compartment; everything else was pretty straightforward. Would anyone out there have a solution to offer for joining the two female connectors easily? Secondly, would anyone have info on the pin-outs for each connector to make sure they are matched up? Obviously I will do what is necessary but I'm far from an electrical/wiring guru.

Thanks,
Jeff

Old 04-06-2020, 02:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Under the radar

Location: Sebastopol, the land of wine and redwoods in The Republic of California.
Garage
I'm not sure where to even start to help. But the original electrical panel has two 14 pin connectors, both male. One, I think the one next to your knuckle in the picture, hooks to the motor's harness and the other, at the front of the panel is hooked to the car's main harness. The one you have listed as 70 I assume is the main harness from the tunnel. That would normally connect to the forward male plug on the panel #7 below.
I assume you have a wiring diagram for both cars.

This was posted a while back, probably close to original '70, but keep in mind that in '70 there were three models and variations on each. Ignore the '86 ingine pinout. However, I have no idea what is on your panel.
#56 PCA Redwood Region, GGR, NASA, Speed SF
Trackrash's Garage :: My Garage

Last edited by Trackrash; 04-06-2020 at 03:12 PM..
Old 04-06-2020, 03:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Been here a while

If I’m not mistaken, your left hand, middle finger knuckle is resting on the other 14 pin connector.

I do expect significant differences between the 72 wiring diagram above (probably an MFI car) and your carb’d 70

Cayman R Sportomatic and some other cars
Old 04-06-2020, 03:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered

Gordon & blucille,
Yes, the one listed as "70" is from the main tunnel harness. I should have put in my post the panel is from a 964 series. As blucille pointed out, the other 14 pin connector is connected (964 DME harness to 964 engine harness). Looking at the SL47 page you posted it certainly helps me understand what would have been there originally and where the main tunnel harness would have connected. I'm using the Patrick Motorsports DME conversion harness if that makes any difference. This is way more info that I had before; I'll keep working at it but I think I will somehow have to end up joining the 14 pin female harness from the tunnel to the 14 pin female harness from the engine. I have the correct wiring harness for the 70 courtesy timmy2 (Dennis) but need to get one for a 964 based car. I still have all the factory service manuals for my 993; would anyone happen to know if this part of the wiring would be the same?

Thanks,
Jeff
Old 04-06-2020, 05:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered

Just FYI in case anyone is digging around years from now that may have the same issue. Look at the SL47 Gordon posted. You will need the 14 pin male to 14 pin male harness that is part of your original relay panel. Swap a couple wires around on the 3.6 14 pin female connector to line up with your main tunnel harness pinout and eliminate the pins you will not use such as for the blower motor. Glad to have the issue somewhat behind me.

Jeff
Old 04-14-2020, 05:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackrash View Post
I'm not sure where to even start to help. But the original electrical panel has two 14 pin connectors, both male. One, I think the one next to your knuckle in the picture, hooks to the motor's harness and the other, at the front of the panel is hooked to the car's main harness. The one you have listed as 70 I assume is the main harness from the tunnel. That would normally connect to the forward male plug on the panel #7 below.
I assume you have a wiring diagram for both cars.

This was posted a while back, probably close to original '70, but keep in mind that in '70 there were three models and variations on each. Ignore the '86 ingine pinout. However, I have no idea what is on your panel.
Thank you for posting the 14 pin connector layout for the 3.2 Liter! Saved me today!

Old 05-17-2020, 01:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: