Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

Does anyone make a gated shifter?

I wanted to know if anyone makes a gated shifter similar to what Ferrari offered. I know Wevo has one but it looks like it sits down inside the case and cant be seen. Does anyone make one that you can see and that works well?

Old 05-14-2020, 07:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Hey, nice marmot.

Garage
Seine gate shift kit + Wevo PSJ

You can't buy happiness, but you can buy car parts which is kind of the same thing.
Old 05-14-2020, 08:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Diss Member

The main reason you don't see a selection of gated shifters is that the transmission has gates built into it. Anything that doesn't exactly coincide with or interferes with those internal gates will create wear and increase the possibility of a missed shift.

You can build a gate for a car but it needs to be very customizable to fit your installation and it needs to be adjusted for the wear in the system as time goes on.

--
Wayne - 87 Carrera coupe -> The pooch.
Old 05-15-2020, 03:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tirwin View Post
seine gate shift kit + wevo psj
+1
Old 05-15-2020, 05:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered

Wevo's first shifter had a Ferrari style gate on the shifter base. There are some old threads about it on the forum. Looked pretty cool.
Early S member #1969
Old 05-15-2020, 07:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Seine + PSJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirwin View Post
Seine gate shift kit + Wevo PSJ
What Tirwin said..^^..great setup, been running it for years

"Houston, Tranquility Base here, the Eagle has landed"

Silver 1984 M491 Sunroof Coupe
Old 05-15-2020, 07:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Registered

I looked on the Seine website and while they make shifters they dont look like they have a gate similar to an early Ferrari. What am I missing?
Old 05-15-2020, 05:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
I have the Wevo internal gate and it is awesome. Been in there for over 10 years and this is the best shifting 915 I have ever driven.

Not what you are asking but it does work very very well in the 915 shifts are very precise and positive. It is so precise I had to put in a better coupler and all new bushings in the shifter system.......I love it.

Have a gate shifter at the stick and one in the trans probably would not work. My guess is that it is either or.
RGruppe #79 '73 Carrera RS spec 2.7 MFI
00 Saab 95 Aero wagon stick
01 Saab 95 Aero wagon auto
03 Boxster
90 Chevy PU Prerunner....1990
Old 05-15-2020, 06:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Banned but not out, yet..

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jd21476 View Post
I wanted to know if anyone makes a gated shifter similar to what Ferrari offered. I know Wevo has one but it looks like it sits down inside the case and cant be seen. Does anyone make one that you can see and that works well?
Are you after the performance of a gated shifter or just the look? As far as I know, the combination does not exist, but you can get the performance.
Old 05-15-2020, 06:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Registered

I was going for the look and I had assumed the performance would follow, guess not
Old 05-15-2020, 06:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Hey, nice marmot.

Garage
There is nothing that provides the look that I’m aware of. The purpose of a gate is to avoid a 5-2 money shift. The Seine provides a 3-4 neutral plane and spring loaded tension on the 1-2 plane just like you feel when you shift 4-5.

You can't buy happiness, but you can buy car parts which is kind of the same thing.
Old 05-15-2020, 08:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Registered

I know just what you mean by the Ferrari gate. To install one on a 915 shift tower you have to raise the gate part up. Otherwise, there is not enough sideways movement of the shift lever for the two solid gate parts which go between the three fore and aft shift planes.

I don't know just how much assistance that would be in avoiding the money shift. Some, I am sure, as it should prevent much of the diagonal motion which is possible with the stock system. The EVO gate shift system seems to do this, though back inside the transmission. However, if you are shifting in a high G corner (which is sometimes necessary, and you have to learn to do it if you track the car), it is harder for muscle memory to know just how far not to move or to move your hand to get the gear you want, and this won't be as good an indicator as the extra spring pressure telling you that you are about to get over to 2d or 1st downshifting.

The various systems which spring load the shifter in the 3/4 plane (as Porsche started doing, finally, in the late 1990s)pretty much take care of the money shift. Those, plus round instead of oval connector bushings, completely transform the vague 915 shifting.

Adding a nifty silver polished Ferrari style gate would look weird perched maybe 6" up. If you were good at it, I suppose a custom leather boot could cover everything up. But it will also have to have a wider radius than the top of the regular tower has, so you'd have to make the boot work as a wider cylinder all the way up to avoid looking like an upside down golf tee.

I'd put it in the "bling" category, but perhaps with aesthetic drawbacks as well once you had designed and fabricated it.

Old 05-15-2020, 10:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: