Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

ASP issue: Anyone Have to Use Longer Hard-Lines- ?

I recently upgraded to Elephant Adjustable Spring Plates. Nice piece of kit, but the profile of the swing-arms is a bit different. It looks amazing, but as I went to install the oem hard brake line I encountered a problem, it now needs to go up and over the higher ASP plate and the line is just too short to curve up that high. Has any one with ASP had this issue? I suppose I will be looking for longer steel hard-lines soon at the local auto parts store. I really like the copper line, it's just too damn short.

'99 MX-5
8 bicycles

Last edited by Kraftwerk; 10-07-2020 at 07:40 PM..
Old 10-07-2020, 07:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

Porsche Crest

Most parts stores have a version of the Copper Nickel alloy brake lines that are corrosion resistant and similar to the Cunifer lines Porsche uses.

All vehicles should have these from new. It's a safety issue as the dual hydraulic circuit brake systems were years back.

I should have some on the shelf along with the Metric fittings if a short length is needed.

Len.Cummings at verizon.net.

Old 10-08-2020, 02:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered

Len, Thanks for letting me know about this material, good to know and interesting you can make custom lengths, those are tools I do not (yet) own!

Managed to easily buy a suitable length of TWO hard brake lines at a local Auto Zone which @ 3/16" x 12" / 4.8mm x 30.5cm. Because of supply chain issues their selection was very limited 13" would've been perfect but I got them to work.

The other quirky issue is they only had one of each .. one steel and one copper. so I could compare first hand the ease of bending each steel is much more difficult to get right which made the copper easy-peasy.. eventually I will get the proper hard lines in there and I am sure there is a n issue with using 'asymmetrical' material but this is the rear brakes and I am sure the difference won't be felt through the pedal.
As far as quality goes, the copper - nickel is made in Michigan and the steel one is made in Japan.
Just glad none of it was Chinese crap and I am one step closer to getting the system bled.
'99 MX-5
8 bicycles

Last edited by Kraftwerk; 11-14-2020 at 08:52 AM..
Old 10-09-2020, 06:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered

here you see,
top: the oem brake line (too short)

middle: the Steel brake line a few inches longer (it works!)

bottom: # 12 solid copper wire, which I used to mock -up length and bends needed, very helpful.

(not pictured non-oem longer copper line, also worked well)

I called Chuck @ Elephant and he hasn't encountered of this issue with the ASP,
THAT IS THE ONLY THING THAT WORRIED ME otherwise everything looks good now.
'99 MX-5
8 bicycles

Last edited by Kraftwerk; 11-14-2020 at 08:52 AM..
Old 10-09-2020, 07:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
OEM hard brake lines are actually double wall steel, with copper as the braze material to fuse the two layers. The double wall set-up is required for safety reasons. They are then coated (typically) with a layer of zinc for corrosion protection, then polyamide (nylon) as a stone impingement protectant. Be sure what ever you use is up to this standard.
Old 10-09-2020, 10:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registered

Thanks Lyle O, this is good advice.
Will have a professional put eyes on it when I bring my car in for
c/balance and alignment. I saved the tags from the lines.
'99 MX-5
8 bicycles
Old 10-09-2020, 03:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Registered

Porsche Crest

Lyle O-

I don't know what 911 model you are referring to, but my early 70's cars do not have the lines you describe.

Len
Old 10-09-2020, 07:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Registered

Turns out one of the lines did not have the right fitting and is leaking fluid.
The threaded nut part was a bit too long, I think, so didn't properly close in on the swaged end
The other one does not exactly fill me with confidence either come to think of it.
Will go back tomorrow a few auto-parts store's with wavering faith..
Fearful of off the shelf shoddy products..especially where my brakes are concerned.

Hoping to find two 13” lengths ( approx.) brake lines with the proper fittings..
'99 MX-5
8 bicycles
Old 10-11-2020, 09:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Registered

Try Poly-Armour brake lines with bubble flare metric.
But they do not manufacture a 13 inch brake line, the closest is 12 inches and the next one is a 20 inch,
The Part numbers are PAE-312 and PAE-320
You can find it at Autozone or Advance Auto parts.
Very good quality and made in America.
Old 10-11-2020, 11:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Turbo Powered Snow Blower

Garage
Get this in 20" and buy a good double flair tool kit. Cut the 20" line to whatever length you need after shaping. don't forget to put the fitting back on before reflaring...
If you can afford an ASP kit you can afford a good flaring tool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by donporfi View Post
Try Poly-Armour brake lines with bubble flare metric.
But they do not manufacture a 13 inch brake line, the closest is 12 inches and the next one is a 20 inch,
The Part numbers are PAE-312 and PAE-320
You can find it at Autozone or Advance Auto parts.
Very good quality and made in America.
Old 10-12-2020, 08:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Registered

Absolutely!

You can practice on the short piece that is leftover. It's easy.

Good advice Don & 79 930, just what I was going to say.

Len

Old 10-12-2020, 08:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Registered

So much great information, thanks to all.

While the 12" line worked well enough an extra 1" would be nice..

A mini-tube bender # 25179 has worked well throughout,
looks just like the black Summit racing one except it s red.
Reminds me of my 1/2" & 1" EMT bending days...in miniature.

Quick history of how I came by the ASP kit, is that I bought an entire race suspension years ago, a newish "package deal" with about 50 miles
on all the components. Plans changed, and I was after-the fact-educated on what I really needed and didn't need so will
eventually sell off some HUGE torsion bars and mono-balls but I am keeping the ASP's and some other nice suspension " jewelry"...
I didn't really originally plan on buying ASP, not for my purposes anyway, but I got 'em now ~ !
'99 MX-5
8 bicycles

Last edited by Kraftwerk; 10-14-2020 at 06:51 PM..
Old 10-12-2020, 10:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxsterGT View Post

Lyle O-

I don't know what 911 model you are referring to, but my early 70's cars do not have the lines you describe.

Len
Double-wall steel tube technology goes back a ways; they are OE for Porsche now, going back at least through the '90s. I haven't cross-sectioned my '87 lines, but expect they should be as I described. Cannot say what they used in the '70s, but I know what they should be now...
Old 10-12-2020, 02:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Registered

Fittings are obv. metric... what is the exact size? If one were to buy a handful of them and tubing to make their own lines... as others have recommended, sage advice btw.
'99 MX-5
8 bicycles
Old 11-14-2020, 08:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Registered

Would a 14inch preassembled brake line work for you ?
Check Belmetric.
Also regarding the fittings those are M10 x 1.0 bubble flare for 3/16" or 4.75mm tubing.

Or you can buy the Poly-Armour brake line and cut it to size, bubble flare it, you do not need to buy an extra fitting.

Last edited by donporfi; 11-14-2020 at 09:45 AM..
Old 11-14-2020, 09:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Registered

Old 11-14-2020, 09:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Registered

Thanks donporfi,

Good to know the fitting sizes.
Will go the Belkmetric route for now, 14" should be quite all right, actually easier to manage than the 12" which is limiting..

'99 MX-5
8 bicycles
Old 11-14-2020, 02:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: