Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Those Weird Blinking Turn Signals

Am I alone or does anyone with an older 911 suffer the same problem? That is, the green turn signal indicator on the tachometer, blinks STRONG on one side and WEAKER on the other when the turn signal is activated for that respective left or right turn. They both are going at the same time!! Does not matter, the opposite still blinks along but weaker. Its strange, but nevertheless easy to get used to.

I was told by a dealer who was around back in the old days that this was common. Never will you see this in newer cars, foreign or domestic. Could it be that the two turn signal arrows are so close together that either is well shielded from the light of the active blinker? Is their anything that can be done?

Regards
Bob
1973.5T

Old 10-06-2003, 09:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Bob,
You might want to check and make sure that all the lights work.
I had a similar problem that both green lights on the gauge would come on when I turned to the left and found that the left rear turnsignal light was not working properly.
Old 10-06-2003, 11:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Seldom Seen Member

Bob,

Coincidentally, I spent all day Saturday woking on my lights, including the turn signals. Sometimes the signal indicator is as you describe, strong on one side and weak on the other. Sometimes it is just the one side. Sometimes, there is no indicator light at all. However, there appears to be no correlation between the indicator and the actual signals. Sometimes, my signals work and sometimes they don't, regardless of what the indicator is doing.

I believe the relay might be faulty and I am looking for a replacement.

If you solve your issues, please let us know.

Got nachos?
Old 10-06-2003, 11:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Bob,

My 73.5 indicator lights blink just like yours. All outside signals work fine, so it sounds as if your theory might be correct.

Jeff
Old 10-06-2003, 11:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I have a simular problem. Sorta. My right blinker blinks fine, but if I put it into the left turn position, sometimes it blinks correctly, or it will make both green arrows blink together, as if I had my hazzards on.
Old 10-06-2003, 12:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

hi,

sometimes that may be an intermitting grounding problem in current path (e.g. worn out plugs, corrosion on grounding points, defective cables), although turning lights seem to work correctly.
simple test: step on brake with operating turning lights, if the brake lights' brightness alternates with turning lights, that maybe a hint on a bad grounding...

greets
pomaro

Last edited by pomaro; 10-06-2003 at 01:16 PM..
Old 10-06-2003, 01:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I had same problem and it was usually at low rpm. I bought a yellow top optima battery and solved my problems.
Old 10-06-2003, 01:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

All my lights work well (brake, turn signal. backup, parking, emergency signal, etc). I have to wonder what the shielding is between the two signals thats inside the tachometer. Is it the same light (single bulb) and a split with plastic or something translucent in-between the two green arrows ? The tach is a tough one to get out of the dash because of the hub, so I cannot explore whats on the back too well. In a way this quirky characteristic lends itself well with the overall character of the car.
Old 10-06-2003, 01:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

This has been discussed here before and I beleive the fix was to clean or replace all of the sockets really well and it went away. I have not tried it yet, I have the same problem. I think it was a grounding issue. Perhaps someone can point us to the thread.

RSR look hot rod, based on 75' SOLD
73 911t 3.0SC Hot rod Gulf Blue - Sold.
Old 10-06-2003, 01:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: