Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Preparing for Deployment - Need advice on Vehicle Storage

Hi Guys. It's been awhile since I've been on here.

I'm preparing for a lengthy depolyment and need advice on storing the P-car family. Things I have already though of are:

1. Remove the battery and put on a trickle charger
2. Lift the car on jack stands to remove weight on the tires
3. Fuel stabilizer in a full tank of fuel
4. A good washing and car cover

Should I leave the battery in the car and have someone start them once a month or so?

Any advice is appreciated.

2013 Panamera
2004 Boxster
Old 10-22-2003, 09:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I have absolutely no expertise, but I would imagine that starting it once a month would put more ware and tear on the engine than not starting it at all for, say, 6 months.
Removing that battery would be safer, incase something goes wrong with the charger.

I recall that when you bought the 993 you were trying to sell your riviera blue (?) Carrera. Decided to keep it? I would be happy to keep the 993 for you while you are away, and it would get plenty of use ...
Old 10-22-2003, 10:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Mark, I think you pretty well summed it up. I'd also suggest trying to do a bit of mouse proofing...try to seal off areas they could enter. My gratitude for your service.
Old 10-22-2003, 10:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Detached Member

Use a car cover if your storing it inside. If outside, a car cover will absolutely ruin the paint and rubber as it get wet underneath from the rain.
Old 10-22-2003, 11:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Put a piece of aluminum screen attached with a hose clamp over the tail pipe. This will keep the little critters out of your exhaust.
My daughter just finished 4 years in the Air Force. We all appreciate what you are doing for us.
Mike
1970 911T Coupe, 1979 911SC Targa Euro, 1971 Honda CT70 HK Trail 70 (the ultimate in two wheeled transportation)
Old 10-22-2003, 12:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
I don't lift my car in winter storage, I read just this week on another thread where it might cause/allow corrosion on the shock/strut rods where they are exposed. Also be sure to up the tire pressure to reduce flat spotting. If its going to be stored indoors put some mothballs under neath (in a container?) to repel some rodents. Use a sunblock windsheild cover inside to protect the dash...An oil change now would be a good idea.
2000 Land Rover Disco II - lifted
2001 GMC Seirra 1500HD CREWCAB
Old 10-22-2003, 12:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Hey Mark

A couple of days ago another kind pelican member sent me a detailed list how to "Winterize the Porsche." If you are interested give me your e-mail and I will send it to you!!!
Chris,,,,
Old 10-22-2003, 01:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Mark:
Do a search. There was a thread about this two or three weeks ago. It got a bunch of responses.
Old 10-22-2003, 02:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
I would consider trying to drain the fuel system, gas will dry out in the engine and leave a residue, very bad.....hard to clean, it can infact clog passages in carbs and injectors.

ask me how I know...

Jim

If everything seems under control, your not going fast enough.
Old 10-22-2003, 04:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

You might want to "fog" the engine,there is a fogging spray that boat owners use when storing boats,my understanding is that it coats the pistons,cylinder walls,valves etc.I used it when I lived up north where summer is 2 weeks long and winter 50 weeks,it is a spray can and you remove the air filter and while the car is running you spray in the carburetor/throttle body until you kill the engine,this draws the fogging oil into all the areas you want protected from rust.Also I would suggest you put a pan or two inside the car and fill these pans with moth balls to protect from rodents.Fuel stabilizer in a full tank is a excellent idea along with fresh oil/filter change.Good luck in your deployment,I know I appreciate everything our military does for us,let us know when your back!!
Old 10-22-2003, 04:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Mark - just leave us Navy guys the keys, we'll make sure it gets driven regularly to keep everything well lubricated. Heck, we'll even do some envelope investigation to make sure the factory isn't blowing smoke these days! Stay safe on deployment...

Not sure of what I am looking for, but actively hunting...

1970 911E - Long since gone
1972 911 Targa - gone
1987 911 Carrera - gone
Former FA-18C Driver
Old 10-22-2003, 06:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
Mark,

Sounds like you've got it covered. Do us proud over there and come back safely. I am still in your debt for helping me find the car that I spend all my money on!

All the best,
89 Carrera 3.6 V-ram #94
Livin' for Targa time!

Want to make God laugh?
Tell him your plans!
Old 10-22-2003, 06:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Thanks guys. I appreciate the support. I will stay in touch while I'm gone.
2013 Panamera
2004 Boxster
Old 10-23-2003, 06:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
I would change the oil and run it for a while so you don't have all the combustion byproducts eating away at the engine and hoses.
Old 10-23-2003, 04:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Semper drive!

Garage
Send a message via AIM to rcecale Send a message via MSN to rcecale Send a message via Yahoo to rcecale
Quote:
Originally posted by FA-18C
Mark - just leave us Navy guys the keys, we'll make sure it gets driven regularly to keep everything well lubricated.
This thread wouldn't be complete without ALL branches piping in...

If you leave your keys with your friendly neighborhood Marine....I'm sure he'll leave it just as he got it from you....freshly driven!!! LOL

Thanks for your service, Mark! Your country is proud of you and yours...no matter what service you represent, we're all AMERICANS!

Randy
Semper Fi!
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
Old 10-23-2003, 05:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Porsche Less Member

Send a message via Yahoo to k9handler
well it appears I am going to be doing this as well, thanks for all the ideas in this thread as I am going to be busy the next couple weeks as I prep.
2019 Can Am Renegade 1000R XC
Old 01-28-2004, 10:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
What?

Garage
You might want to increase the tire pressure to 50-55psi to help prevent flat spots.
CaymanS
SCWDP / GruppeB
Old 01-28-2004, 10:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
What?!?!

Garage
Instead of jacking up the car, I would just block it to keep it from lowering if the tires leak. That should prevent the shock rust possibility. Then verify pressure before removing blocks.

Good luck, watch your 6 and come home safe.
Old 01-28-2004, 10:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Mark, what branch of the service and what rank? We appreciate your service. Be safe and keep you head down.

Semper Fi, David

67 912 (sold)
58 Karmann Ghia chopped top (traded for the 912)
Old 01-28-2004, 12:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: