Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 4.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
993 Diagnostic Socket to OBDII pinout...

I am trying to add a OBDII port to my 993 engined 84 carrera. Currently if I suspect something is wrong or something actually goes wrong, I have to test each component with a multimeter or get creative with jumper wires and a scope.

In the past, Moses has discussed this:
I'm back on the road again! It was the chip.

As well Ingo did the check engine light on a 964 conversion:
3.6 check engine light - it's a good thing

In my opinion this is a BIG problem with all of the 3.6 conversions.
Not only do most of them not even have a check engine light, no one that I know of (except Moses )has the ability to obtain any data from the engine/components.
For the OBDII port I know that I AT LEAST need a power source, a ground and the K and L wires. I believe the K and L wires are the heavy hitters. Below is a OBDII graphic, the diagnostic port pinout, and an 993 ECU harness pin location.
While my current harness doesn't have a diagnostic port, I do have the pinout (below). Now if I could just have the pinout for an OBDII.

Old 12-08-2003, 04:30 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Knowing that the K & L are the diagnostic wires was as far as I got. Most of us need an OBD1 port.
Old 12-08-2003, 04:35 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by Bill Verburg
Most of us need an OBD1 port.
I agree, anything to get data. This has just been bothering me for quite a while. Even the Euro cars had the diagnostic port, why not include it on/as part of the conversion harness? I have access to a 9288 Hammer. Maybe Harald will chime in here with some info.
Old 12-08-2003, 04:46 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Bill Verburg
Knowing that the K & L are the diagnostic wires was as far as I got. Most of us need an OBD1 port.
I don't know the specifics of how it was hooked up, but my garage's head mechanic hooked up an OBDII port to my OBDI DME. We are getting good readout from the port. Unfortunately the shop owner has asked that I not share his phone # with my internet friends. At any rate, I know he told Steve Timmins how he hooked it up, so if anyone feels comfortable picking Steve's brains, go for it.

The shop owner told me the next time I bring my car in, he will pull he DME cover and write down where the connections are made. I'm really sorry I can't be of more help.
Old 12-08-2003, 04:51 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by Moses
The shop owner told me the next time I bring my car in, he will pull he DME cover and write down where the connections are made. I'm really sorry I can't be of more help.
Moses I'll seriously pay for that information. Tell your mechanic that I'd be happy for a little phone consultation w/fee. Unless of course Bill can pry it out of Mr. Timmins for free..
Old 12-08-2003, 05:41 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

hallo
You need a OBD 1 Port , the Port is the same as OBD 2 ,the Electronics are different , for Euro Engines with 1 Lambda you need OBD 1 . It is also possible if you install a Chip that you can not read out the Engine Data .Ingo has a Port installed ,look at his Website .
harald
Old 12-09-2003, 01:51 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by Speedster94
It is also possible if you install a Chip that you can not read out the Engine Data .Ingo has a Port installed ,look at his Website .
harald
Harald,

Thanks for responding. You are a valuable resource.

By chip I assume you mean aftermarket like Cyntex Etc. I also assume that you mean the data reporting capability has been stripped from the aftermarket chip VS. the stock chip?

Ingo's car has a 964 engine. I don't think his set-up will work on the 993.

I believe that the data output format on the K&L lines complies with ISO9141-2 regardless of OBDI or OBDII, which is the 10.4kbps asynchronous protocol. I think this is how Moses's wrench configured an OBDII style port to his car. I'll know for sure in a day or two. I may need to buy a DME or two!!!

Thanks,
Old 12-09-2003, 05:57 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

hallo
Yes i mean aftermarket Chips are not capable of OBD ,OBD 1 is the same as on 964 . The OBD 2 System is more complex and use also a DME with 88 Pins ,the K line here is Pin 88 and the l line is 87 .
The OBD 2 system is used on the Motronic 5.2 with 4 Lambdas , while the OBD1 is used on the 2.10 system with 1 Lambda ( Euro/ ROW-versions ) . First you need to know what System is in your Car when you compare to others like Moses ( OBD 1 )
harald
Old 12-09-2003, 09:55 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Old 12-09-2003, 09:55 AM

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: