Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Potential problems with Shell Rotella?

I was considering using this oil but had a few concerns. Number one, it's primarily made for diesel motors. That means it's loaded with anticorrosive additives (metallic based) because of the crap diesels produce internally and because industrial diesels often sit for extended periods of time. These additives are harmfull to O2 sensors and sparkplugs in a gas engine. I'm not sure I want to constantly replace failed O2 sensors at $120 each or fouled sparkplugs. Anyone have experience with this product in a computer controlled car?

Old 12-30-2003, 11:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I do not have any experience with Shell Rotella.....I did try Valvoline's "Max-Life." I thought that perhaps an engine oil made for "Higher-Mileage" cars would be benificial to my 175,000 mile SC. After about 500 miles my car sprang oil leaks from every which point. Probably due to a high detergent content, not un-like synthetic oils. My recommendation is to stay with the type of oil that your car is used to. It appears that the seals on older cars do not seem to like high detergent oils after years of service with more traditional oils with less additives. After a rebuild and "all-new" gasket replacement, perhaps would be a time to change to synthetic or any other oil that has a bunch of additives. U may want to search threads on the subject...I did...But none on the "New-High milage formulas." I guess I was a guinnie-pig(SP)
Old 12-30-2003, 11:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Information Junky

Most synthetics are devoid "a bunch of additives."
Old 12-30-2003, 11:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I'm refering to the dino version of Shell Rotella.
Old 12-30-2003, 12:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Friend of Warren

Why not just go with the usual suspects Valvoline or Castrol 20w50?
Old 12-30-2003, 12:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Information Junky

yeah, movin, I was responding to MY83SC.

I believe the Shell Rotella has a good amount of zinc.(last-ditch lube effort - dry-lube & anti-corrosion properties)
I imagine this zinc could 'take-out' an O2 sensor.

Last edited by island911; 12-30-2003 at 12:33 PM..
Old 12-30-2003, 12:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Right now I'm using Kendall GT 20w-50. It seems to be OK, however I'm concerned about how infrequently I drive it and the long periods it sits. I thought the Rotella may add some anti corresion protection during the sitting time.
Old 12-30-2003, 12:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
what? me worry?

Ive used Rotella for years in my 911 and 914 with no ill effects (my 911 doesnt have an o2 sensor), I also use rotella in my F250 diesel (go figure)

Rotella meets all the latest auto specs (API SL) as well as diesel specs for motor oils. It seems like all vases are covered and ther should be no issues using this oil.

This is an article I found on using fleet oils for autos and motorcyles. It mentions Mobils Delvac oils, which are similar to Rotella.

Also if the oil meets the latest API standard, you would think it would be o2 sensor friendly.

BTW Rotella is cheaper than Mobil one and the like
Rudtners Racing

'69 911 GT-5
'75 914 GT-3
Authorised Haltech seller and installer
Authorised Unichip installer
BBS wheels
Fikse wheels
Redline motors oils
Swepco
1500 hp chassis dyno
Old 12-30-2003, 03:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

I'm using it in my 911 now also. Can't say much about it though since I only have 700 miles on the engine One nice thing about it is that it is CHEAP at Sam's Club. I also do not have an O2 sensor.

Pat

Here is another good thread:
Shell VS. Mobil One, opinions?

Last edited by Pat S; 12-30-2003 at 05:15 PM..
Old 12-30-2003, 05:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Ive been running Rotella since I got my car about 9 months ago. The car runs incredibly well, stays cool, gets great gas mileage (23-24mpg)and burns very very little oil. I dont know what else to say other than I am not switching away from Rotella T.

This is a daily driver that I put approximately 2500-3000 miles on per month.
Old 12-30-2003, 05:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Well, maybe I'll get over to the local WalMart and get some and give it a try. Thanks for all of you for your input!
Old 01-01-2004, 10:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Rotella T is API approved for diesel *and* gasoline engines.
Old 01-02-2004, 06:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Rotella is good stuff, as is Chevron Delo. I like Kendall and Valvoline.

Old 01-02-2004, 06:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: