Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Porsche Crest Some one should know!!

A friend of mine was working on a 1980 928S last night. He was putting in a new stereo. Now this car was imported from Germany! Everything is in German, Everything. His question is: the back of the radio has no standard antenna cable lead, all it has is a silver cable with 30 or so tiny wires in it, and is non-removeable. So where could he find the antenna and what is this cable on the back if the head unit??? Any info would be greatly apprietiated

TIA

Old 01-04-2004, 07:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
one of gods prototypes

Garage
Send a message via AIM to bell Send a message via Yahoo to bell
sounds like the car has premium sound which means the factory amp will need bypassed to make it work, i'd imagine there should be a "german" antenne back there which you'll need the german (VW/AUDI) antenne adapter which you can get at a local audio store....
if there is no antenne behind the radio then it sounds like it's going to be a job better left to a pro to figure out........
Old 01-04-2004, 07:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Maybe it's easier for your friend to buy a new antenna, they're cheap, I'm sure that is less expensive than the adaptor.

-J
Old 01-04-2004, 08:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
one of gods prototypes

Garage
i think he may have problems adapting the aftermarket radio to the stock amp if there's one in there, if the "brain" of the radio or a stock amp is still in the car then there's more involved than just connecting wires as these are delicate early 80's electronics and you are usually better off just eliminating them alltogether.
my .02
Old 01-04-2004, 12:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Bell's the guy for all your audio questions.
Old 01-04-2004, 02:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

this is his friend typing!! first off I AM A PROFESSIONAL. certified in more ways than one! this was a customer's car. just so happens i'm NOT german! ha emagine that. so i wasn't to familar with the pure german imports.

Quote:
There's a new sheriff in town!
Old 01-05-2004, 09:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

New sheriff? PROFESSIONAL? Any one that has done this for any length of time would know to follow the DIN cable to the tuner pack. You would then extend your antenna and speaker wires to that point and rewire. I don't speak German. I must honestly say I have never done an 80 but in 84 the tuner and amp (one unit) was under the passenger seat and used a std antenna. (adapter is about $9.00).

I think if you or your friend were more upfront about who was doing the job or asking the questions Bell would have given a more direct answer but as you must know as a PROFESSIONAL Installer some things are best left up to a PROFESSIONAL. Someone not familier with doing a rewire or electricly inclined could cause alot of damage.

I have been doing this for over 20yrs and some of the best installers I have known couldn't pass the MECP certification (They couldn't take tests, did bad in school also) but they could work magic in the install bay including IASCA championships and magazine spreads. At the last shop I worked for they made the sales staff get first class certified. They had a couple of days of schooling from the book then tested while fresh in there minds, 3/4 of them passed first time. MECP certified, big deal.
Old 01-05-2004, 10:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
one of gods prototypes

Garage
well said piedogger, i've seen some wierd factory ***** over the years.....a 928 is one i've never tore apart
ever hear of the "boss cannon" or the boss armored car? well i (and others) built both, fun demo vehicles, did alot of iasca stuff before those
i took the mecp test just to see what i would get......didn't study, just went in blind and got a 90 or close to it.

p.s..........follow the din cable
Old 01-06-2004, 04:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by makaio
Couldn't agree more

Old 01-06-2004, 04:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: