Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via AIM to Turbodrvn Send a message via Yahoo to Turbodrvn
modded '76 930 - time to add more power!!!

alright guys,

This is the year I'd like to start increasing power. I'm seriously thinking about performing these mods on my already modded '76 930....please remember that I have a NON- intercooled "freshened top end of the motor" 3.0 litre with a K27 Turbo with B&B aftermarket exhaust.....please share your thoughts........

as with any turbodriven performace vehicle, I'm considering the following and would like to see if they're applicable for our 911/930 p-car turbo platform as well.........

1) raise the boost from .8 bar to ?? 1 bar? 1.5 bar? any ideas on how high I can go with 93 octane and then 100 octane?? Remember, NO intercooler yet......I'm also considering a future alcohol injection system
2) I have a K&N air filter in what I believe is the stock/factory air intake system; is there an entire aftermarket air intake system I can get?? or will my current set up suffice??
4) EGT gauge gauge to monitor exhaust gas temps. What's a safe limit with our 911 cars?? I'm thinking no more than 900 Celcius?? correct??
5) Is there any way/method to monitor knock OTHER than getting a Knock detector gauage??
6) Install a Kokeln or equivalent type intercooler eventually to support the above upgrades (particularly if I crank the boost up). Not sure if I can manage that and retain my factory '76 Turbo Carrera wing or upgrade to a '78 - '89 Turbo wing (I know we've discussed this in the past).......we'll see what I end up doing regarding an intercooler.......

thanks in advance for you feedback......

yes, I'm still a newbie when it comes to my 930! ;-)

Always feeling the NEED for SSSSSSSSSSSSS(the sound of all my turbos)SSSSSSPEED !!!!

Porsche 930 (for sale)
Mitsu 3000GT VR4 (for sale)
Buick GN (for sale)
(all 3 heavily modded)
Yamaha YZF-R6 (one day I may install a turbo on the R6 or upgrade to an R1 or Hayabusa and turbo it!) Sold!
Yamaha Virago (Sold)

get the feeling I like "turbodriven" vehicles??
Old 01-28-2004, 06:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

What luck for you. I will have a full bay intercooler and air cleaner housing for an early 930 for sale in a month or so. Let me know if you are interstead
Old 01-28-2004, 06:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Turbodrvn,

I am FAR from the most qualified person on this board to give you an answer, but I thought someone should try to point you in the right direction, so here goes.

I believe that most would tell you that you should start slowly and overbuild rather than push your luck. The last thing you want to do is up the boost too quickly and then be faced with a complete rebuild.

That said, start with the basics. You MUST get yourself an intercooler. (Andial, Kokeln, etc...) Once you do that, it is a little safer to start building the car but you already have the exhaust and k27. My advice would be to get an intercooler and a boost controller and put in on a dyno to tune it.

At that point you will have the basic bolt on's (intercooler, k27, exhaust, and increased boost) There are a handful of supplimental mods that can help (Ignition, air filter, fuel, headers) but none of these are really going to make a noticalbe difference. (but are still recommended because they will help with longevity.)

Beyond this, you are looking at big bucks and I am not even going to begin making recommendations because that is where I quickly get out of my league. Maybe some of the true "HP Junkies" can chime in and offer more assistance.

I guess the bright side of this is you are just a few thousand dollars away from a reliable 375-400 hp, but the down side is to go much more than that you will start spending some serious cheese.

Best of luck.
Old 01-29-2004, 07:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to Jocke
Turbodrvn,

I have a spare engine to mine it's also a '76 930 engine, i started tuning it for more HP out of it and i must say:
NEVER go over 1.0bar without an intercooler.
NEVER go over 400HP with the original K-jetronic.

I would put my first money to a total rebuild (check all bearings etc..), including better pistons and strokes, cams and so on... "thats what i do right now.."

Also make it twinplugged, it sure will be needed if youre taking som serious power out of it.

I could mail you my spec of my 930 engine if youre interested.

/jocke

Porsche 930 -77 SOLD
Modified, one of a kind in Sweden.
Check out my car @: http://members.cardomain.com/jocke
Old 01-29-2004, 09:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
If you feel you have a good solid base engin I would
start like this;
1. Hotter spark - MSD or simular
2. Intercooler (larger than stock 930) you may need to go a
later tail.
3. Air intake - cut the end off of your stock air box
flush with the filter ( works great)
4. Headers are a great up-grade, if your not running them now
get some. (I like B&B)
5. Boost - 1 bar is as far as I would go
6. Keep an eye on Brakes and clutch, they're going to get a
workout!

You should be around 400hp at this point.

When you want to go to the 450 to 600hp level, have money ready!!! This is where I ended up.

Old 01-29-2004, 02:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: