Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
I get an electrical shock everytime I exit my 911

I've been living with this issue for a while... everytime I get out of my 911 I get a mild shock. Nothing painful but it's pretty damn annoying.

I've discovered that if I touch any metal part of the car as I exit, the I can pretty much eliminate the shock... I guess I'm grounding myself here?

So what gives? Open ground in my car? Do I just have an electrical personality? heh heh I always wear rubber soled sneakers if that matters and have rubber floormats.

Mahalo!!

Old 02-02-2004, 09:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I think it has to do with static electricity and ambient dry conditions.

I'm noticing a lot of this too.....in my winter commute in my daily driver.

---Wil Ferch
Old 02-02-2004, 09:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Back in the saddle again

Static electricity and winter, enjoy, most cars will do the same this time of year.
'08 Boxster RS60 Spyder #0099/1960
- never named a car before, but this is Charlotte.
'88 targa SOLD 2004 - gone but not forgotten
Old 02-02-2004, 09:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Hmmm... I never thought of it as seasonal. I can't remember if it was this bad back in the summer.

So it should lessen as the days get warmer, right?
Old 02-02-2004, 09:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

...moist-er ....

In absolute terms...the relative humidity is much less than the same "relative" humidity ( number) at warmer conditions....

---Wil Ferch

Wil Ferch
Old 02-02-2004, 09:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
I'm off the hook.....

If you are moving to Vegas, it is going to continue, or even get worse. The low humidity and the materials in the seats, carpet, and what you are wearing are at fault.

Grounding on a metal spot as you exit will do it. Rubber soles enable the build-up of static.

Find a product that eliminates static build up, usually in a spray can, blue can with bright orange label. Sorry, can't think of the name. Spray it on the carpet lightly.

I also use the steel key as a grounding point. Grip it tightly, and use the tip of the key to allow the charge to go to metal. On entry and getting out.

Makes quite a spark at nighttime.
Old 02-02-2004, 09:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Cool! I was afraid that there was something wrong with the 911!!

I've heard that this build up of static electricity is the cause of gas pump fires if you don't discharge it and it contacts the gas fumes as you pump... as opposed to the cellphone myth.

Hey singpilot! You're just like me... a bi-state member.
Old 02-02-2004, 10:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

How 'bout those long rubber strips you attach to the car and have them drag on the ground?...like the "old folks" use on their cars...reflectors and all !!

---Wil Ferch
Old 02-02-2004, 10:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Author of "101 Projects"

Happens with almost all cars. Here is my trick, when you get out of the car and stand up, tap the edge of the doorsill with your leg through your long pants - the spark will disipate slowly and won't hurt.

-Wayne
Old 02-02-2004, 11:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
17 years and 17k posts...

Garage
I use a little bit of fabric softener mixed with water. Lightly spray some on the floor mats and carpet near the door opening and that should lessen the shocks or eliminate them completely.
www.ford.com
Old 02-02-2004, 11:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Interesting idea, Art! And my 911 will smell fresh and clean.
Old 02-02-2004, 11:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Garage
As long as you are touching a metal part as you exit, you won't get shocked. Same thing happens to me as I exit so I hold the door frame as I get out.. No more shocks.

2001 GT3 Cup - "Pepin"
1999 Spec Miata
1996 993 RS Replica
2010 Harley 48
2013 Honda 250 CRF
1971 Norton 750 Commando
Alcon Brake Kits
Old 02-02-2004, 12:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
I get one every time I floor it. Must be a malfunction in the Steve W. chip!

My Owners Gallery Page

Non illegitimi carborundum
Old 02-02-2004, 12:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Registered

You mean you get out of car? Gotta go, gotta shift...
Old 02-02-2004, 01:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
If for some reason you do not discharge the static then go to fill a gas container you can put yourself in danger of explosion, but usually by the time you finally a filling you have discharged the static electricity, but to answer your earlier question yes it can potentially be a problem.

Adam
Old 02-02-2004, 01:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
I'm off the hook.....

Wayne, I prefer not to discharge the spark thru my leg, or anything close to it, haha.
Old 02-02-2004, 02:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
SCWDP- Shock and Awe Dept

Garage
This is definitely a case of the Fun Meter pegging out and causing a short in the big nut behind the wheel. Happens to me all the time.
Old 02-02-2004, 03:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Non Compos Mentis

You need to ground yourself. I recommend a wire with an alligator clip you can attach to your ear lobe while driving.
Old 02-02-2004, 03:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Used User

Quote:
Originally posted by Dantilla
You need to ground yourself. I recommend a wire with an alligator clip you can attach to your ear lobe while driving.
ROFLMAO!!!

I lived in Vegas for a year and I remember this time of year was really bad for static electricty. It got to where I was always carrying a key in my hand to touch metal rather than get shocked.

Old 02-02-2004, 04:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: