Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via Yahoo to UTKarmann_Ghia
Question Odd co2 readings...

Ok, my car started crazy surging at idle a few weeks ago out of the blue. So, I posted a topic on the subject and good 'ol JW came to the rescue telling me it sounded like the idle mixture was too rich. I borrowed Pat S's co2 tester and indeed I was running at about 9 (specs call for anywhere between .5 and 1.5) So I adjusted my idle mixture and went ahead and ordered a o2 sensor since mine was disconnected. Since then my gas mileage has gone up about 3 mpg and she runs great...well almost.

I've noticed that when adjusting my mixture, the co2 would range from .5 then run up to 1.5 then back down to .5 again. This went on for as long as I was monitoring my emissions. I also noticed that at idle, my idle will SLIGHTLY surge between about 800-900 rpms. The slight surging I've noticed is with the o2 sensor engaged and I dont believe I've ever noticed it before. Does anybody have any ideas on this one? She seems to run fine, but the small amount of surging and the mixture fluctuation concerns me.

Any ideas?

Old 02-23-2005, 08:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

CO....right?

Not CO2......

big time difference......

????

Wil
Old 02-24-2005, 06:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered

the surging is the oxygen sensor adjusting the mix. you can also feel the slight surge when cruising. i don't care for it much, and normally leave the sensor unplugged. if you set the CO to 3-3.5%, it will idle smoother. did you happen to check to see if the relay for the O2 sensor system was working? it's under the right seat, in front, by the tunnel. get the engine hot, then unplug it for a moment. the engine should run noticably rougher if it was working. the rest of the O2 sensor system has to be functioning, even if the O2 sensor is left unplugged.

8009 103rd pl ne Marysville Wa 98270
206 637 4071

Last edited by john walker's workshop; 02-24-2005 at 06:58 AM..
Old 02-24-2005, 06:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to DonMo Send a message via Yahoo to DonMo
Don't forget to look for vacuum leaks or the notorious intake leaks, the will screw up your mixture also. Use the carb cleaner and spray around, increase in idle, you have a vacuum leak. Don't spray near air filter, as you would expect, idle will go up then.
Columbia, SC
"Go Hokies"
Old 02-24-2005, 08:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to UTKarmann_Ghia
I'll check the mixture again tonight, but with CO being around 4-5, it surges wildly at idle. Time for another mixture adjustment

Old 02-24-2005, 09:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: