Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via AIM to JP Noonan
Broken lug nuts, wrong pads, and brake fluid everywhere

Got off work about 6:30 and jacked up the 912e in the parking lot once everyone left. Had a fan, lights, lot-o-tools, fluid, cleaner, and new brake pads.

Looking at my tires with less than a week on them I started to lossen the four (PO took the locking ones I guess, haven't bothered to get new ones) lug nuts. With a 32" snap-on breaker bar I managed to loosen one wheel. Got to the other side, and well, shear two lugs nuts off flush with the wheel.

Hmmm, looks like those fancy wheel locks they sell. I used a small hole saw, and couple small sockets to guide it, and broke about 5 3/32" drill bits. but and hour and a have later the wheel came off.

Now well just do the slide pins and...crap wrong grease high temp green stuff is at home...double crap E-Bbya gave me rear pads for a 914 I guess. Look inside the caliper, and the pistons are pointing all kinds of wrong directions, guess a rebuild woun't be a bad idea, but for tonight lets just get home. Clean the pads, pins and clip with a wire wheel, file out the crap from the calipers. reinsltall, now lets bleeed.

One man breeder from FLAPS, WTH give it a try...$8 down the toilet. Plan two, Pour in 2 quarts of GTLMA into the power bleeder and pump it up. Whoa, that fluid is going somewhere fast. Run back to the rear bleeders, no. Freash M/C (non-boosted on a 912e) no, fronts holy cow my whole front end in dripping fluid from under the front spoiler.

Turns out that besides the aluminum lug nuts Porsche desided to have an over flow in the master cylinder resivoir for those pit stop pad changes so fluid would go out a hose under the front spoiler. Makes perfect sence.

Put the wheels on with three lug nuts, soak up the fluid with oilsorbent, and off I go....that is until I realize that my front hood is open just as I'm getting onto the high-way. 9:30, 3 hours for a non-brake job, not bad.Those are PORSCHE hous mind you.

Hope next week is better whwn I rebuild the C-V with new boots and rebuild the rear calipiers this time.

sorry had to vent.

Old 07-20-2005, 11:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

And to think I had a bad day.
JP, tonight I will light a candle,cast some bones,consult my Starsign,sacrifice something, mumble something to the east,west, north and south ... believe that covers the bases..
but most of all, I wish you success on your next adventure.
Rika
Old 07-20-2005, 01:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

JP,

Been there, done that. Hope you can find a better place to do this next time and a friend with wheels to help!

Joe A
2013 Jag XF, 2002 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins (the workhorse), 1992 Jaguar XJ S-3 V-12 VDP (one of only 100 examples made), 1969 Jaguar XJ (been in the family since new), 1985 911 Targa backdated to 1973 RS specs with a 3.6 shoehorned in the back, 1959 Austin Healey Sprite (former SCCA H-Prod), 2010 Jaguar XF (fast touring car), 1995 BMW R1100RSL, 1971 & '72 BMW R75/5 "Toaster," Ural Tourist w/sidecar, 1949 Aeronca Sedan / QB
Old 07-20-2005, 02:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

JP,
You know. Most of us have been through what you've experienced. However, you compressed the time-space continuum. Not to worry. You can now chalk that up to "experience".

Hope the next day is kinder to you.

Sherwood
Old 07-20-2005, 03:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Experience...What you get...Right after you need it!
Old 07-21-2005, 12:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Talking

Thanks for the responses, didn't know you cared

Night two, jack up the car. Pull off the wheels, bleed the system, this time I put a vacuum cap on the MC reservoir.

Even adjusted the e-brake, between my buddies and I none of us have had a working e-brake, like EVER. Man I can't believe how easy it was.

Funny thing is....it took 30 minutes more than the first night!?!?!?!

Did I mention the brake hoses I replaced last month that had an ATE date ring on them? "05/76" not old, "vintage"
Old 07-21-2005, 06:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Funny story JP.

Console yourself with the thought that it can only get better from here...

ianc

"I will tell you there is a big difference between driving money and driving blood, sweat and tears." - PorscheGuy79
Old 07-21-2005, 08:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Better from here!?!?!?!

I just got the title four months ago!!!!

Can't wait for the weekend when I get to remove the C-V's with the proper Porsche "tri-square" uh-I-mean "Vise-Grip" tool.

No offense Ianc but you sound like one of those people who believes in a "rust free car" or one "that ran when parked" (always liked that one)

Seriously, I already wired up the D-jet after a PO carburetor butcher job and subsequent fire, and rebuilt the motor with EBS MM jugs, and all those fancy German glues, bearings and seals. Carrara fuel pump, filter from a Wrangler, new fuel-vac-wires-ignition-tires-MC and front caliper rebuild. I think I had a religious experience when I got my new programmable VDO speedo to work with the 923/915 sender.

I married a Brazilian, and I must say even she is of better quality than any car part I bought "made in Brazil" always go for the German OEM.

Thanks again for the encouragement, I'll get it squared away soon enough....between hurricanes that is.

BTW seach engine food: 1976 narrow body works with 6x16 and 7x16 Fuchs if you use a 205/55/16 and a 215/55/16 a little rubbing up front buy that could be the lovely A/C system a ham fisted elf put in.
Old 07-21-2005, 09:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Quote:
No offense Ianc but you sound like one of those people who believes in a "rust free car" or one "that ran when parked" (always liked that one)
Oh, I definitely do, and with a galvanized body in CA, or some parts of FLA, it shouldn't be hard. Don't know what you mean by 'that ran when parked' though...

Anyway, I just meant that it sounded like you had so many mishaps already that things couldn't continue at their present rate for long. I'm sure tt will get better for you once you start getting everything sorted out. Good luck,

ianc

"I will tell you there is a big difference between driving money and driving blood, sweat and tears." - PorscheGuy79
Old 07-21-2005, 11:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: