Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
East bound and down

Garage
Question Where to find factory spring plate?

Okay, I figured out the part numbers I need for my spring plates. I go to my local dealer. The parts guy is always willing to help me obtain even the smallest of parts. He checks availability. There is only ONE, and it's in Germany.

Any idea where I can obtain another NOS spring plate?

Old 07-27-2005, 04:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
I have a set I just took off my SC...
Old 07-27-2005, 06:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
East bound and down

Garage
New spring plates. For a Carrera.

Nothing personal....
Old 07-27-2005, 06:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

You mean these are NLA at this time??

These were a better buy than Google.
j.p.

Last edited by jpahemi; 07-27-2005 at 06:43 PM..
Old 07-27-2005, 06:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally posted by Capt. Carrera
New spring plates. For a Carrera.
Nothing personal....
Um, did you check with our host?

http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/shopcart/911M/POR_911M_suspen_pg14.htm#item58
Old 07-28-2005, 12:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Perhaps I'm looking at the wrong line item, but those look like Weltmeister adjustable springs plates rather than factory units.
Old 07-28-2005, 12:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Registered

Sorry, here is the correct link:
http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/shopcart/911M/POR_911M_suspen_pg7.htm#item25

I meant to post the first link to the Sway-Aways as a cheaper alternative to the factory pieces.

Why not go the used factory SP route though? For the price you can pick up a good used OE pair for, you can have them cleaned up, re-plated, and install a set of neatrix or even poly-bronze bushings for nearly half the cost of a new OE set.
Old 07-28-2005, 01:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
East bound and down

Garage
Yes, I'm being told the arms for 74 - 89 are NLA.

As for used parts... Well, I have used parts. I want new parts. Or at least new factory equivalent type parts. After all, the factory parts lasted through almost twenty years of neglect without a single consideration. They didn't wear quickly like netrix, squeak like poly, or need constant greasing like bronze bushings.

Bottom line: If I could install a set of NOS spring plates, I could drive the car until 2025 without worry...

Last edited by Capt. Carrera; 07-28-2005 at 05:27 PM..
Old 07-28-2005, 05:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
East bound and down

Garage
Oh, for those unaware. NOS = New Old Stock.
It's a common automotive term for parts the factory has for vehicles they no longer produce.
Old 07-28-2005, 05:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Mine are due for a change after 21 years of service. Considering they're NLA, I'll save the OEM units and go with WEVO units. The OEM's are best suited for a restoration job.
Soon the A-arms will become NLA, may be a good time to buy a pair and stash them; that's if you plan on keeping a 74-89 car for a long time.
j.p.
Old 07-28-2005, 06:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Used Up User

Garage
j.p.

Not necessarily. The 915 short shift kit went NLA 6 months ago & just magically re-appeared. If they can sell them, they will build them. That said, new springplates aren't at the top of most people's wishlists.

Except maybe the Capt's. I hear you about keepin' it stock. I did go to Neatrix & there were nice improvements. But, they are not bonded like stock (the glue is useless & pointless).

Ian

----- “Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.” A. Einstein -----
Old 07-28-2005, 06:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
East bound and down

Garage
...I'm thnking WEVO now. It looks like the best option available.

I e-mailed Hayden, but have not heard back if he makes them for Carreras.
Old 07-29-2005, 04:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Re: Where to find factory spring plate?

Quote:
Okay, I figured out the part numbers I need for my spring plates. I go to my local dealer. The parts guy is always willing to help me obtain even the smallest of parts. He checks availability. There is only ONE, and it's in Germany.

Any idea where I can obtain another NOS spring plate?
Whats wrong with shipping them in from Germany?

You could try another German company, Mittelmotor, never used them myself but i know others who have.

http://www.mittelmotor.de/english/startenglish.htm

go to online shop....

Suppose it depends on how keen you are on fitting OEM spring plates - approx $400 per side, plus delivery etc

Cheers,

SP
Old 07-29-2005, 07:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
East bound and down

Garage
Quote:
You could try another German company, Mittelmotor, never used them myself but i know others who have.

http://www.mittelmotor.de/english/startenglish.htm

go to online shop....
Thanks for the lead. I'll follow up on it!

Quote:
Whats wrong with shipping them in from Germany?
Porsche only has one. One does not do me much good. WEVO on one side and OEM on the other would be an odd combination.

Quote:
Suppose it depends on how keen you are on fitting OEM spring plates - approx $400 per side, plus delivery etc
If I can get them, I can install them myself. My Porche parts connection quoted me a price over $600.00 each just for the parts.
Old 07-29-2005, 02:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
...I'm thnking WEVO now. It looks like the best option available.

I e-mailed Hayden, but have not heard back if he makes them for Carreras.
If he has an application for the G50 cars (longer T-bar cap), that would probably be an excellent cost-no-object solution. Dane (the first to reply to this thread) has been down that road, which was originally discussed in this previous thread:

WEVO..wow!
Old 07-29-2005, 02:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
..but have not heard back if he makes them for Carreras.
Also, as you know not all Carreras share the same parts. Like in this instance, the spring plates differ on the `87+ cars. I remember from a previous thread that your car is a 1989 3.2L. However, you may want to include that info in your signature line or below your user name to make it easier for others to help with any future questions.

Last edited by Eric Coffey; 07-29-2005 at 03:21 PM..
Old 07-29-2005, 02:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Thanks for the lead. I'll follow up on it!
If I can get them, I can install them myself. My Porche parts connection quoted me a price over $600.00 each just for the parts.
One other potential source for you...

Back in May of this year, I asked this company http://www.jzmachtech.com (possibly the best regarded independent in the UK) about OEM spring plates and they reckoned they could get them in from Germany for approx 200GBP each

Suggest you give them a call too

Cheers for now

Shirish
Old 07-30-2005, 01:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Rob:
I have found new OEM spring plate for your car,let me know if you're interest.
Regards,
j.p.
Old 10-15-2005, 08:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
East bound and down

Garage
You found one, or two?
Old 10-16-2005, 06:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Either way, you don't need to buy them in pairs.
j.p.

Old 10-16-2005, 07:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: