Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

How do you know when to change shocks?

I get some squeaking from my rear shocks (I think) when I go over speed bumps. I also really notice the front wheels following irregularities on the freeway and pulling. Does this mean new shocks? How can you tell if you need new ones?

-David

Last edited by summers3d; 10-15-2005 at 08:40 AM..
Old 10-14-2005, 09:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
David,
You did not mention how many miles you have on your existing units/car. Usually 50-75K mi, depending on your driving habits and conditions. Perhaps some Bilstein sports are in your near future.

While you're there, check bearings, brake pads, rotors, CV boots, and maybe add turbo tie rods. It doesnt take long to swap out tired shocks, and you could make it a day, checking and refreshing other bits while you're at it.
Cheers,
Paul
85 911 Factory Turbo-Look Targa (Gone)
Old 10-14-2005, 10:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Press down hard on each corner of the bumpers and see if the car springs back up and settles immediately or if it oscillates a little. Oscillation means time for new shocks, but generally for any of our cars are old enough to warrant shock replacements at the minimum.

Simon
Old 10-15-2005, 12:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
I would think following irregularities in pavement, or railroading would more be related to tires ... I could be wrong. I do know that running different tread patterns front and read makes for some sketchy / darty handling characteristics.
Old 10-15-2005, 01:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
durn for'ner

If your shocks are original - and certainly if they are hydraulic Boge shocks - changing to new gas shocks like Bilstein will make a tremendous improvement in ride quality.

Its not easy to use the old "push down test" on Porsche - they are so hard sprung.

As an example, my 20 year old Boge where rather easy to push down at the fender - but the car when strait up just once and did not wobble. Decided to change anyway.

With new Bilstein it takes a lot more weight on the fender to push it down at all and the ride is totally transformed.

BTW, the changing of shocks is quit straight forward.

Carrera '85
Old 10-15-2005, 02:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Just changed mine. I had front end "bottoming out". I really wasn't sure they needed replacing.

After removing the front struts I found that one strut could easily be compressed by hand
hence the "bottoming out".

Change in pairs.

Also, I replaced the rears and found the orignials were still a strong as the new ones, but I didn't want to take any chances.

Hope this helps...Good Luck!
Old 10-15-2005, 05:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Registered

The squeaking is most likely a suspension or sway bar bushing that needs a little grease while your front wandering could be tires or an alignment issue.

New shocks are relatively cheap for the improvements in ride and handling they bring. You may not need them but you will notice the improvement.
Old 10-15-2005, 07:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Thanks for your replies. The car has 120k on the clock, and I'm not sure if they've ever been replaced. There's so much I want to be able to do to the car myself, but with three young kids it's hard to find the time. It kills me to pay someone to do something I know I could do myself.
-David
Old 10-15-2005, 08:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
durn for'ner

You will find time - trust me, I have four young kids.

You can argue the money saved by doing it your self are set aside for their college fund and their mothers wardrobe.

And the satisfaction from a well accomplished DIY project is all but price less !

Carrera '85
Old 10-15-2005, 10:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Sounds like it's time to change them

start w/ the rears - they are easy

search on rear shocks

figure out what you have - if they are Bilsteins you can get them rebuilt for cheap; if they aren't then you prob. want to change to Bilsteins

- Ferris Bueller's Day Off
Old 10-15-2005, 12:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

When they stand up by themselves, and get kinda smelly.............. Oh, sHocks...... never mind.....

'99 F-250 SD Diesel(Cowboy Cadillac)
Old 10-15-2005, 12:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: