Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Question about Dash Tabs

I have a dash I can purchase for very cheap - it's in perfect shape except most of the tabs are broken on it - this is a navy blue dash, and they're tough to come by, let alone at that price. Does anyone have any experience installing one with a work around for the dash tabs?

Old 10-16-2005, 09:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

If you are talking about the plastic tabs that snap into the alignment holes on the top of the dash base, I believe they can be replaced with new ones. They rotate out counter clock wise, if I rem right, & new ones screw back in. You could probably also get away with gluing new ones on also.
Old 10-16-2005, 09:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Really, any idea where I can get those?
Old 10-16-2005, 09:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Actually Pelican does - that's fantastic - thanks for the info.
Old 10-16-2005, 09:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

if it's the threaded bolts that are missing instead of the plastic guys, you could epoxy replacements in as long as you don't overtorque it when you install the dash. I've done this, and replaced the plastic guys and it worked.
Old 10-16-2005, 01:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

that's great - I'll give that a try.
Old 10-16-2005, 01:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Banned

Cory,

If they are the plastic tabs - It is the same as door panel tabs.

The key ingredient is that the 7 metal tabs are in tact.

You will have 5 along the front and 2 center. The plastic tabs are not essential

The front tabs are most important. In the later dashes, 86 and up, you have the rear vent cover that holds down the back.

Hope your 16x8s arrived.

Please feel free to give me a call if you need any interior advise.

Thank you,
Jason
Old 10-16-2005, 08:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Ok, I've attached two photos, one of the underside, the second of the face - apparently the person who removed the dash was 1 gene off from a gorilla - looks like all the tabs are gone. The mark on the front is an indentation from a screw driver used to - I assume - pry it off. So first, thoughts on replacing the tabs and securing it - second - what type of "repair" can be done on the dash pad itself - keep in mind I can pick up the dash for $100 - Jason, didn't get the wheels yet - looks like wed -I'll let you know - and thanks, I'll take you up on the offer for info on interior work - I have a lot to do.

Old 10-17-2005, 01:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Old 10-17-2005, 01:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Registered

Try a hair dryer on the little dent and manipulate it a little with your finger to see if you can minimize it.

Cheers
997 S 4.0, Boxster 2.7 Race Car, Cayman S 3.8, 958 Cayenne TT, VW GTI 2.1 TSI, Mini Cooper S JCW, Cannondale Supersix EVO SRAM RED E-tap, Cannondale Slice SRAM RED E-tap, Giant Roam Hardtail- to ride with the wife.
Old 10-17-2005, 01:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Banned

Cory,

Dash looks fine!

FYI - You have to pull the windshield for the 85 and down Dash install.

You have to screw the rear flaps down.

I would have a glass guy assist you - You also need new seals when you reinstall your windshield.

Have fun!

Jason
Old 10-17-2005, 03:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally posted by jimi_c
what type of "repair" can be done on the dash pad itself?
On my car, the PO installed a keypad for the aftermarket alarm system. When I removed it, there were five holes in the dash. I brought in a guy who filled and textured the holes, and color matched the repairs perfectly. Check with local detailers and upholstery shops to see if you have anyone in your area who can do a similar repair.

I'd try the hair dryer/heat gun approach first. If that doesn't work, you might try what I had done to my car.

Good luck.
Old 10-17-2005, 04:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Great, thanks guys - and Jason the wheels showed up - I haven't had chance to open them up yet, but thanks.

Old 10-18-2005, 05:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: