Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Anyone know where this grounds?

Yeah, I know it's really ragged looking in there. Water got in there during a previous life. Don't make fun of the zip tie; when I ground the rust off the socket, it's so thin it won't even hold the bulb in. I need another one...

At any rate, I'm not getting a ground here, and I'm just wondering if anyone knows where this ground ends up. I tested the wire with a needle right where it enters the sheathing and nada. I took a look under the hood and it's not immediately obvious. Thanks for the help...

ianc

"I will tell you there is a big difference between driving money and driving blood, sweat and tears." - PorscheGuy79
Old 02-11-2006, 11:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Hi

Behind that running light housing there is a smalll 2 wire harness that connects from your running light housing to the back of the front turn signal housing its only about 12" long.

Its actually the 2 wires you show going to that bulb socket that are in that harness

take care

Joe
Old 02-11-2006, 11:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Thanks Joe!

ianc

"I will tell you there is a big difference between driving money and driving blood, sweat and tears." - PorscheGuy79
Old 02-11-2006, 12:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

But that's not the "end" of the story...the two lighting fixtures are indeed "connected" as stated ( side marker jumpered to the turn signal housing)..the brown wire is ground....but now you gotta trace the ground wire from the turn signal housing to somewhere solid on the car itself ...I *think* it ends up near the fuse box...one of the ground posts there... IIRC

Wil
Old 02-11-2006, 04:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Thanks Wil. I'm hoping it will just be where the wires are joined. Since the turn signal works, that would seem the most likely. I'm not looking forward to poking around under there. The design of that side marker light has got to be the stupidest thing ever!

ianc

Old 02-11-2006, 07:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by ianc
Thanks Wil. I'm hoping it will just be where the wires are joined. Since the turn signal works, that would seem the most likely. I'm not looking forward to poking around under there. The design of that side marker light has got to be the stupidest thing ever!

ianc
You mean even more stupid then the HVAC system?

Cheers
Old 02-11-2006, 08:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

You have to remember something.....

Side marker lights are a USA affliction....not used in Rest-of-World cars. The design uses the normal T/S units that ground normally...and for "certain" markets where the side marker light is used...a "daisy-chained" ground...using "backside" connectors from one housing to another...makes a lot of sense instead of rewiring the car for the USA....

Wil
Old 02-12-2006, 11:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

I'm talking about the physical design of the bulb and grounding mechanism for it. The bulb socket sits in a little 'pocket' in the plastic of the housing, and is grounded by a tab bent over it. If you need to remove the socket, you're forced to bend the tab up to do so, which deforms the tab and makes it even more unlikely to work the next time.

Retarded. But probably not more so than the HVAC system; you got me there...

ianc

Old 02-12-2006, 05:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: