Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via AIM to Tripster
Modified my WUR

After completing my turbo conversion, I was having tuning issues. We found that my Control pressure was too low, so I decided to make my WUR adjustable, it took maybe an hour taking my time, and shelled out $8, seems to have come out great, I still need to put a pressure gage on it to fine tune it, but after adjusting the Pin up it seems to have leaned it out enough to run right.
Mark
Old 03-20-2006, 06:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Designer King

Nice one, Tripster.

When you are adjusting the plug, make sure it does not rotate. This may cause the lever arm beneath it to rotate out of position. Some have installed a drift pin between the plug and the housing, by drilling into both, in order to lock the plug in the right orientation. I suppose you could also scribe a line in the plug and just make sure it does not move during adjustment.
Yellow 77 Sunroof Coupe/cork interior; 3.2L '80 SC engine/10.5:1/No O2; Carrera Tensioners; 11 Blade Fan; Turbo tie rod ends; Bilstein HDs; 28 tube Cooler; SSI, Dansk; MSD/Blaster; 16x7" Fuchs/205/50 Goodrich G Force Sport Comp 2; PCA/UCR, MID9
Never leave well enough alone
Old 03-20-2006, 07:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I will hold the allen head and adjust with the nut, there shoud be no rotation, correct?
Old 03-20-2006, 07:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

What you might want to do is open it up and make sure the bimetal strip is not touching the sides of the WUR. Then etch or scratch an index mark on the adjustment screw and the top off the housing. Of course, the hot ticket is to machine a key slot on the housing and the shaft, which could be done easily by drilling one more small diameter hole right in the edge of the adjustment pin and the housing and insert a roll pin.
Own a gun and you can rob a bank , own a bank and you can rob the world.
Old 03-20-2006, 07:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Somatic Negative Optimist

Garage
Thanks for the detailed pix.
What year is that WUR from?
Bosch number?
Abstract Darwin Ipso Facto: "Life is evolutionary random and has no meaning as evidenced by 7 Billion paranoid talking monkeys with super-inflated egos and matching vanity worshipping illusionary Gods and Saviors ".
Old 03-20-2006, 07:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Thanks Ron, Sounds like a great idea, how thick is the area around the Pin? Are you thinking 1/8 hole with dial pin between the pin and housing?

Gunter, the WUR came on my 78 3.3 when I bought it, not sure if it in fact is a 78. The number is as follows. Bosch # 0 438 140 054
Old 03-20-2006, 07:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Could the last number be a 045?
The correct WUR for '78-'79 is 0 438 140 045
A 3.3 would be a 100mm P/C's conversion?
What cams?
Abstract Darwin Ipso Facto: "Life is evolutionary random and has no meaning as evidenced by 7 Billion paranoid talking monkeys with super-inflated egos and matching vanity worshipping illusionary Gods and Saviors ".
Old 03-20-2006, 08:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

No, it's 054, if you will look at the last picture on the post it is very visable.
Motor is a 78 3.3 Turbo
K27 Turbo
Cams, not sure, can't find a referance to the markings AN- 959
Euro Exhaust
Magnaflow Duel outlet muffler
Heads- I was told have been ported---- I dought it.

Last edited by Tripster; 03-20-2006 at 08:25 AM..
Old 03-20-2006, 08:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Cams?------ Probably Stock
I did call Andial and they said "NOT Andial".
Old 03-20-2006, 08:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
O.K. Didn't realize it was a turbo.
Nice!
Old 03-20-2006, 08:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Designer King

Tripster,

That drift pin (or roll pin, as Ron called it) could be something like 1/8" dia. The idea is to have it bridge both the plug and the WUR body, locking the plug in place so it does not rotate. This could shoot the arm inside up against the wall of the WUR. If you scribe the location instead, make sure you never rotate the plug.
Yellow 77 Sunroof Coupe/cork interior; 3.2L '80 SC engine/10.5:1/No O2; Carrera Tensioners; 11 Blade Fan; Turbo tie rod ends; Bilstein HDs; 28 tube Cooler; SSI, Dansk; MSD/Blaster; 16x7" Fuchs/205/50 Goodrich G Force Sport Comp 2; PCA/UCR, MID9
Never leave well enough alone
Old 03-20-2006, 01:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

yeah drift pin...I don't know what I was thinking...a senior moment.
Own a gun and you can rob a bank , own a bank and you can rob the world.
Old 03-20-2006, 04:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
cycling has-been

any pics of the unit torn apart so the rest of us can see what's going on inside?
thanks
Bill K
Old 04-24-2006, 04:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
Cool

Old 04-15-2008, 09:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Since this thread has come up again, I want to take the opportunity to thank Tripster for posting his high quality and detailed process for making an adjustable WUR. I did this about ten months ago using a print out of this thread as a guide, and it was a breeze.
Old 04-15-2008, 10:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Perhaps I'm being confused by an oversimplified cross sectional diagram, but what prevents the plug/bolt combination from rising up out of the housing? I see that the washer and nut prevent the plug and bolt from sinking into the housing, but not from coming out. Secondly, how was the plug drilled for the bolt without hopelessly spinning the plug, and reed? Lastly, does anyone have the P/N for the WUR for a 1976 911S? Hershey approaches! Thanks.
'01 Audi TT
'82 GPZ-550
Old 04-15-2008, 05:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

There is a lot pf friction between the plug and the WUR casing to prevent the plug from moving within the shaft. Likewise, there is enough friction to prevent the plug from spinning while you drill a hole through it.
Old 04-15-2008, 05:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
sudo apt-get purge 930

That's very similar to how I did mine.

"Worrying about depreciation on your car and keeping mileage down is like not ****ing your girlfriend so her next boyfriend finds her more appealing"
--clutch-monkey
Old 04-15-2008, 06:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Thanks for the post........it has got me thinking:

I have just run my run my car (79 911SC) on a dyno, the A/F ratio was 12.1 at max power. I think this is too rich, does this modification adjust the cold control pressure or warm control pressure, ie can I lower my control pressure by "knocking in the pin" to lean out the mixture during normal operation?

Thanks, Stu
2008 Golf R32
2008 Cayenne Turbo
Old 04-15-2008, 06:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
sudo apt-get purge 930

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBStu View Post
does this modification adjust the cold control pressure or warm control pressure, ie can I lower my control pressure by "knocking in the pin" to lean out the mixture during normal operation?

Thanks, Stu
Both. Knocking the pin in lowers control pressure, both cold and warm. As cold pressure decreases so does warm pressure.

"Worrying about depreciation on your car and keeping mileage down is like not ****ing your girlfriend so her next boyfriend finds her more appealing"
--clutch-monkey
Old 04-15-2008, 06:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: