Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Question 3.2 Carrera: Removing Injectors?

I have a strong suspicion I have a leaky injector in my left bank and am looking at removing/replacing the suspect injector asap.

Any words of wisdom for a first timer doing this job?

I guess I just need to be careful not to mix up the wiring, but I'll label each one as I remove it from the injector.

Is there a standard process for doing this job easily?
Protomotive MAP ECU, Twin Plugged Heads, GT2-EVO CAMs, 3.3L fully finned P&C's, ARP fasteners, C2T head gaskets, Titanium Retainers, Turbo spec valves, springs & guides, 964 splash valves, GT35R BB turbo, GSF Stainless Headers, Magnaflow Exhaust, Full bay Intercooler, TiAL 46mm w/gate, TiAL 50mm BOV, Apexi AVC-R EBC, SPEC Stage3+ Clutch kit, Crane CDI Ignition
Old 02-04-2007, 02:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Czar of C.R.A.P.

Just did this on my 85'. It can be done with the air box in place but not sure with your turbo what all will be in the way.
left side take off the 2 bolts holding the bracket for the impluse sensors, remove the fuel connectors from both ends of the rail, remove the 2 bolts holding the rail, in my case I removed the injectors wires just by firmly tugging them off the injectors I then removed the metal clips holding the rail to the injectors and pulled up on the rail. Some times the injectors came with the rail sometimes they stayed in the intake. Just wiggle a bit while pulling straight out and they should come right out. You might vacuum aroung the base of the injectors first to remove any dirt so it doesn't fall into the intake. You will also need to remove the retainer loop that holds the main harness wire.
Repeat on the right only no need for the retainer clip.
If like mine the front uses a 15mm on the pressure regulator and 19 on the rail the rear uses a 17 on the hose and a 19 on the rail.

I used compressed air and blew through into the input of the injector to test for leaks. None of mine leaked at the injector but they were leaking around the shaft. There is a thread I have going on now about replacment injectors. I have not been able to find a direct replacement for the bosch others have said they have. With the turbo maybe you want a bit more than the stock injectors.
Cabriolet Racing And Performance C.R.A.P. Gruppe #1
Put on some C.R.A.P. and drive....
Old 02-04-2007, 03:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Czar of C.R.A.P.

Injector thread

replacement injectors
Old 02-04-2007, 03:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Thanks for the detailed explanation

I actually run 951 turbo injectors at higher rail pressures.
Protomotive MAP ECU, Twin Plugged Heads, GT2-EVO CAMs, 3.3L fully finned P&C's, ARP fasteners, C2T head gaskets, Titanium Retainers, Turbo spec valves, springs & guides, 964 splash valves, GT35R BB turbo, GSF Stainless Headers, Magnaflow Exhaust, Full bay Intercooler, TiAL 46mm w/gate, TiAL 50mm BOV, Apexi AVC-R EBC, SPEC Stage3+ Clutch kit, Crane CDI Ignition
Old 02-04-2007, 03:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

If I just have to replace the #1 injector, is there a quick and easy way to remove & replace it without unbolting the front & rear fuel lines etc?
Old 02-04-2007, 06:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

In a word, yes. Just remove the 10mm bolts that hold the rail down including the one(s) in back and pull the rail back enough to remove #1.

You can pull all the injectors that way too.

Cheers,

Joe
Old 02-05-2007, 12:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Thanks Joe... I decided to rip them ALL out and send them for ultrasonic cleaning and flow testing tomorrow. $20 per injector
Old 02-05-2007, 12:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Joe and Merv,

I tried to move injectors #1, #2, #3 by just removing the two 10mm bolts that hold the rail down and pulling the rail back but found it's hardly movable without disconnecting the fuel connectors from both ends of the rail. I dare not use much force pulling the rail as the front end fuel connector (near #3 injector) is so close to the fuel pressure regulator that I could either kink it or damage the end and its thread on the regulator.

I guess I can only do it the way dfink described. Any comment? Thanks!

Last edited by alniki; 05-02-2007 at 06:10 PM..
Old 05-02-2007, 06:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Czar of C.R.A.P.

Your gonna have to disconnect the fuel lines and for the left bank you will need to disconnect the bracket that holds the reference sensors. It seems like more work than it is. Maybe 15 minutes but make sure you use "2" wrenches to loosen the fuel lines.
Old 05-02-2007, 06:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Yeah, you MUST unscrew and remove the fuel lines from both end of the fuel rails to be able to remove the injectors. They just pop out. You do have to use a little force though.
Old 05-02-2007, 07:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Thank dfink!

Without removing the sensor bracket it's very difficult even to remove the adjacent 10mm bolt.

I did ponder over whether I can do it with only one wrench without disrupting the opposite end but decided it's just too risky so I'll go the two-wrench way!!
Old 05-02-2007, 07:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: