Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Never left, but not right

New Improved Windshield Gasket/Seal??

Just finished putting the metal trim in the seal in the rubber on the stand. In the next few minutes (yeah, right ) I'm going to install the glass and seal in the car. I'm getting ready to install my rope.

What's this flap covering channel that body lip fits into? I've put a few of these things in VW's and I even did a Targa rear glass by myself once (once, never again). I don't remember the flap. I'm guessing it's there to help hold the rope in place and then when you pull the rope, the two pieces change places with each other leaving the flap up against the lip on the outside and the inside part of the channel on the inside of the body lip where it's supposed to go. (Follow that? )

Just never seen the flap. Anyone install a windshield recently? This is an OEM seal from Pelican.

BTW, I typed in a few search term and read the appropriate threads from 4 pages of results. So, please don't tell me this is obvious.
Old 04-19-2007, 11:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
I would rather be driving

Milt, I installed my new seal and glass last weekend on the targa. The flap will tuck into the slot on the front side of the seal lip. The "main" lip will be pulled out and hold the glass in place. Worked fine for me.

My trick is to put two loops of rope around the seal. This way you can make sure you get those pesky sections that don't go in the first time around. Especially that section in the lower centere where the rope hangs up on the dash.

Good luck!
classicautowerks.com - EFI conversion parts
Old 04-19-2007, 11:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Got two ropes in there, Jamie, I was ahead of you on that. OK, it's sitting in place, I guess I'll go pull on my rope (wait, that didn't come out right ).
Old 04-19-2007, 12:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

DONE!!!!!

YOU HAVE NO IDEA HOW STOKED I AM !!!!!!!!!!!

Yeeeehaaaaawwwwwww!!

(It's gonna take me twice as long to clean up this soapy mess.)

(Happy to do it!)
Old 04-19-2007, 12:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Well, let me try and make this thread meaningful to others now that my elation has subsided a bit. (At least my heart rate is once again below 100.)

The metal trim pieces go in pretty fast if you finger the groove with straight soap out of the jug. I picked up and rolled the lip all the way around with a nylon glazier's tool. A thinned tooth brush handle would do.

Then, I hit the whole shebang with the water hose nozzle to flush out the soap as much as possible. Brought the thing inside and began to install the nylon cord. I was using what looks to be about 3/16ths cord, not cotton. I wet the cord and soaped it too with straight, concentrated dish washing soap. Stuck that in and bought the cord across itself at the bottom channel (remember which is on top, that helps to pull that one second).

OK, you need to soap the body lip a bit as well. Getting the glass in the center and keeping it there is the next trick. I used a soft crayon and made a witness mark for
reference. Now, it does help to have an assistant, which I seem to never have. So, I strategically placed some duct tape and towels on the front, bottom of the windshield and weighed it down until the outer flap was looking good and resting on the cowl. I think some have used a cinch strap to do this.

Time to pull the rope at the bottom. With one hand making sure the glass was not rising, I pulled the rope standing outside the car and reaching in. Half way, then ran around to the other side and the same. This is all blind, so you have to have some faith.

As soon as you get to the lower corners, you can begin to see the lip of the seal coming over the body lip. Time to make sure the windshield is pushed as far down and forward as you can get it. This helps the top to come in with no strain.

Watching through the glass, I pulled upward on each side while pushing the glass down gently. I used some soapy water to get all that concentrated stuff really lubing everything. Once you turn the top corners, you're golden. Just watch that the outer flap is not curled under and is laying on the body at the cowl, then the A pillars and lastly, the roof. You might have to stop and pick it up here and there.

The only other thing to look for is to see if the seal covered the upper corners on the outside. It will be a little hollow under the flap, this seems to be the way it is on all the 911s up to the 964. If it's just a tad bit from laying on top, knock the trim outward with a smooth rounded block of soft wood and a hammer (courtesy of Bill Verburg, I think). If it's way off, especially on one side, it might be better to pull the glass out and adjust the overall position. Remember that you pushed it all the way down at the bottom, so it can come up a bit until the channel is snug to the top body lip . This may help your top corners at the expense of the bottom corners. It's all in how you position the glass. I have a professional glazier's 9' suction cup, but it wouldn't take up on the curvature. So, I used a couple of Harbor Freight 4" cups. They are OK, I guess, I didn't have a problem with them lifting. They will skid, though, if you try to move the glass too hard. Better to use some rubber gloves and some downward and directional pushing to move the windshield any.

Done. Drive the car and let the windshield find it's new home. Double check those corners before putting the car away for the day. That darn rubber has a nasty memory and you want it where it needs to be. You may have to lift the corners and pump some glazer's caulk down in there, or use the putty dum-dum stuff. And, if you can find a way to clean up all that soap inside the rubber, that might be a good idea to help keep the thing in if you ever hit anything. But, bicycle hand grips are installed with diluted soap, and when they dry, they are darn hard to remove. So, all the soap doesn't have to be flushed out, IMHO.

Hope my success helps a few down the road.

Last edited by milt; 04-19-2007 at 02:24 PM..
Old 04-19-2007, 01:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

3 weeks away (ok, 5) Milt, thanks for the great write-up. I just hope a to be purcshased seal fits as well as my last on the E.
Old 04-19-2007, 01:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Do you put the trim pieces after putting seal on the glass and BEFORE installing the seal to the body correct????

1971 Targa, 1981 911 SC Targa, 1995 993 Coupe
2008 Cayman
Old 06-02-2007, 08:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Yep. I put a thin piece of wire in the seal slot for the trim pieces, then layed the trim over it and pulled the wire outward so it would pull the seal lip up over the trims lip that holds it in place. Works really well and saves your thumbs.

Nice job Milt. Nothing like a new windshield.
Old 06-02-2007, 08:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
After asking tons of questions about front and rear window replacement I began cleaning my front windshield for install. It had a small crack right behind the mirror that was barely noticeable. Well as the cleaning progressed this morning, so did the crack.

I called Safelite to see what a new one would cost. The are installing a new one using my seals AND going to reinstall my rear windshield for $ 250.00 bucks.

Therefore, NO MORE questions from me. The new one is $ 210.00 installed and he is only charging $ 40.00 to reinstall the rear. Can't wait.

2008 Cayman
Old 06-02-2007, 11:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

What kind of glass will Safelite be using?
05 Jetta GLI
Old 06-02-2007, 11:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Other than clear (I hope), I have no idea. John, not trying to be a smart a*% I truly don't know. At that price I really don't care. As long as it last me a while.

2008 Cayman

Last edited by amersbell; 06-02-2007 at 06:33 PM..
Old 06-02-2007, 04:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
12 years and 17k posts...

Garage
I would replace the windshield seal the same time you replace the glass. I just had my windshield replaced in April on my '74 and I used a new seal that I bought from out host and thye windshield installer thanked me and said the new seal will make the install easier, cleaner and leave the gasket "intact" without any rips or tears. Just my .02 worth...
www.ford.com
Old 06-02-2007, 04:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
I have new seals for the front and rear. Thanks Art.

2008 Cayman
Old 06-02-2007, 05:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
12 years and 17k posts...

Garage
Chris,
Great, that will really improve the install. My old windshield seal leaked when I ran water on the windshield, but the new one doesn't...
www.ford.com
Old 06-02-2007, 06:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Man are you guys talking about something that I am having trouble with now. My window installer just put the front glass in and its too small at the upper corners. What can I tell him to try next?
Old 06-04-2007, 12:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Chris,

Let me know how it goes with Safelite in your neck of the woods.

In my area I was told to steer clear of them and was referred to another glass shop by the local Porsche wrench and Porsche Dealership. They had to correct a few installs that were botched up.

I have a $250 deductible on my glass coverage and I'm going with the glass shop that uses PPG glass and has two installers with extensive experience with installation on older 911's.
05 Jetta GLI
Old 06-04-2007, 12:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
I hope it goes well. When I spoke to the manager he knew exactly what I was talking about. In Lubbock Tx you are really limited if you're trying to find someone that has alot of experience on P-cars.

2008 Cayman
Old 06-04-2007, 01:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

I remember driving to Lubbock a few times when I used to live in Portales.

Straight drive with the pedal to the metal
05 Jetta GLI
Old 06-04-2007, 01:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by 911rudy
Man are you guys talking about something that I am having trouble with now. My window installer just put the front glass in and its too small at the upper corners. What can I tell him to try next?
Take a piece of wood sanded to match the curvature of the metal trim and gently drive it upwards and outwards toward the body. Lift the rubber over the post and hold it out there with something like a thin piece of plastic to remove memory of being turned under. Backfill with black windshield caulk if necessary after you see that the rubber will stay in place.
Old 06-04-2007, 04:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Thanks guys. I've passed both suggestions on to my glass guy. One sign of trouble was when the old rear was lightly tinted there is now a 1/4 inch ring around the outside of the tinting with the new rubber. Thats a lot of memory for the rubber to forget.
Old 06-04-2007, 06:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: